Macbook Air vs Lenovo X300
Mar 20, 2008 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally, a functional thin laptop. As much as I loved my macbook, macbook air is just a fancy gadget for me IMHO. Lenovo x300 seems to be a better one. Removable Battery, 3 usb port, DVD Drive, Ethernet, Those are essentials which macbook air left out.

lenovo-x300-vs-macbook-air-440.jpg

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 42
Personally, I'd rather have the Thinkpad, but the higher base price will put a LOT of people off, even if the top model is cheaper (just).

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 42
Probably the Thinkpad, but I can't justify a new laptop right now, and by the time I can, there will probably other options out there to choose from.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 42
why do people want these "thin" laptops? they are all a waste of money for christ sake. Seriously, just taking .5'' off makes the price go up $1000. its rediculous

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 42
thin is easier to fit in a briefcase. The big selling point for the air is obvious in that picture. It's thinner closed than the bottom half of the x300.

There's a fair number of people who prefer thin to full featured. It's obvious, because apple can't keep the airs in stock.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 42
I would rather get the MacBook Air.
But thats just me, since I have no use of an internal DVD drive. Plus I simply love Mac OS X, which can't be legally run on the X300.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 42
I'm a huge Mac fan (using one to type this post). I hate the macbook air. I can deal without the internal dvd drive. The required extra usb ethernet adapter...annoying but livable. The battery is what scares me. If you are seriously considering the Air, I would give it a little more time and let some of the early adopters figure out if there issues with that battery. I have to imagine if that battery starts losing charge life the cost of replacing it is huge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather get the MacBook Air.
But thats just me, since I have no use of an internal DVD drive. Plus I simply love Mac OS X, which can't be legally run on the X300.

If you're interested in turning the x300 into a hackintosh, this might be a good place to start reading.
tongue.gif

Main Page - OSx86

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're interested in turning the x300 into a hackintosh, this might be a good place to start reading.
tongue.gif

I said Legal. Mac OS X can't legally be run on non-Apple branded computers.
Illegal activities are not discussed around here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely Macbook Pro is a better option than both?

That certainly depends.
Those looking for a MacBook Air or X300 want a highly portable computer, which is easy to cary around. They might not consider a "big" MacBook Pro at all...
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 42
if apple updated the macbook screens to 1440x900, I would be happy. I think the macbook is a pretty nice compromise when it comes to size features and portability. I have never been a fan of ultra thin; it needs some heft imo so I don't throw it out with the papers....

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 42
not really that but if you have a macbook air underneath a stack of newspapers and you are a little ocd is it really that hard to throw it away in the trash.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 42
Everyone has their own reasons for making or not making a purchase. Fear of throwing away a computer is one I'd not heard before, but that's your business. Thing is, the thin computers aren't for everyone. They're for a specific subset of people. If you don't need the benefits, you're lucky, because you get more for less.

It's a good thing that we live in a world with options, not a bad thing. Having an option you aren't interested in doesn't harm anyone. Not having an option you need on the other hand...

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 42
bah... I was alluding to what a bloggers wife did. Read the story in newsweek here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back