Macbook Air vs Lenovo X300
Mar 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #31 of 42
We're back to the ferrari argument. It's not what you need. Got it. Why does the existance of a computer that doesn't do what you need bother you?

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #32 of 42
I think the Airbook looks quite interesting, but can't do the Mac thing. The issue is Excel -- I use a lot of custom keyboard macro shortcuts at work and even running Excel or bootcamp or whatnot, not having the exact same keyboard as the one I use at work makes it just not doable. It's a shame because it certainly is gorgeous.

I bought another Sony ultraportable right before I heard about the Lenovo. The Lenovo is certainly attractive -- the bigger screen and marginally increased resolution would be nice for work. Still, it is rather clunky looking. Who knows though. Getting kind of tired of replacing the Vaios as they all seem to break every two years or so...

Oh, and I don't get the poster who said the screen resolution of the ultraportables doesn't work for him. That must mean no laptop works for him, unless it's one of those monster desktop replacements, as ultraportables have as much, if not higher, resolution than many standard laptops.

Anyhow, it was interesting. I had a business trip to Boston the other month and unfortunately that was when I discovered my prior Vaio had just exceeded its two-year lifespan. I borrowed one of the company's Thinkpads (wasn't the X300). It wasn't that much bigger, but I guess I'm used to a smaller laptop. I think it says something that I'd rather spend $2k+ of my own money than have to deal with one of those clunkmeisters again.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #33 of 42
I would prefer the Thinkpad. To be it has a nicer design. I love the classic ThinkPad design.
The keyboard is better, no doubt about it. That is probably one of the most important part of a laptop alongside the screen.
On the other hand, I would chose the Thinkpad X6x over the X300 any day for smaller size. The X series also has a real dock rather than the USB thing they have released for the X300.

To be the lower resolution of portable computer is not a problem. If I need a higher resolution I will hook it up to my external drive.
Emacs is nice, even on low resolution so there should be no excuse for not programming :p
-Rasmus

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #34 of 42
In my opinion the new apple keyboards are WORLDS better than the best lenovo keyboard. And that's coming from someone who works for ibm, owns several of the old "clicky" keyboards, has had 5 thinkpads in the last 8 years, and uses a macbook nearly exclusively, even tho work provides me with a T42.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion the new apple keyboards are WORLDS better than the best lenovo keyboard. And that's coming from someone who works for ibm, owns several of the old "clicky" keyboards, has had 5 thinkpads in the last 8 years, and uses a macbook nearly exclusively, even tho work provides me with a T42.

To each his own, I guess. For my part I'll take the Thinkpad keyboard over the Macbook Air keyboard any day. The Apple keyboards are decent, but they don't compare to the Thinkpad ones I've used.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's exactly relevant. You're complaining that something that isn't designed to be what you want isn't what you want. The macbook air is a completely functional computer that meets the needs of the people who are looking for what it offers. There are enough of these people out there that apple can't keep them in stock. It's not a new "for everyone" laptop.

It's not for everyone. Who's it for? People that it's for. That's not a point so much as it is a truism.

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #38 of 42
This bashing of Macs is more a loser's lament than any specific complaint about Macs. I grew up with European cars, whole wheat bread and decent stereo equipment and have listened to this nonsense all my life - like is Wonder Bread not good enough for you, or 30 watts is 30 watts or your parents could have bought a Lincoln with that kind of money.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This bashing of Macs is more a loser's lament than any specific complaint about Macs.

Perhaps they bash Mac's because they are envious and want one, but can't afford it.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps they bash Mac's because they are envious and want one, but can't afford it.
tongue.gif

I quite like Macs and am planning to get a Macbook in the near future. Doesn't stop me from recognising a silly design when I see one.

Mar 24, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #41 of 42
I got to say that my next laptop would probably be a Thinkpad... those Apple laptops are too delicate for their own good, needing so much protection that they loose their compactness and lightness or risk damage and scratches - and ending up loose like half of their resale value.

Sure one can make an argument to place them in good, secure bags/briefcase you already use, but many ppl like me likes to travel light with only the laptop and some small items, and the extra bulk just to protect it from what should be NORMAL USAGE as a portable machine is too much.

That's one of my gripes with portable product now.... cases, sleeves, and various other protection is almost a necessity when the product itself should be designed from the start to withstand the wear and tear of what should be expected from the intended operating environment... grrrrrhhh.

'course I'd still need to keep macs around since I love OSX, just not as a portable if they keep up with their aesthetic over toughness/function route in design.

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #42 of 42
My macbook is pretty darn tough. I threw it in a speck clear plastic shelll that adds about 3mm in total thickness, but I don't use a laptop bag when I travel, I use a regular briefcase. My 12" powerbook worked fine for the 4 years I owned it even with the dent in the corner. My thinkpad is sturdy, but one of the keys broke off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back