MacaW GT100s(inverted dynamic driver) impressions thread
Feb 4, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #181 of 235
Hey eddie is here, what you are looking for are simply called earguides, I've seen them around on aliexpress, I just googled it and found that MeElectronics has them:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEElectronics-Over-The-Ear-Suitable-In-Canal-Earphones-BLACK/dp/B0071KCC6M , Lunashops should have them as well. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #182 of 235
My initial impressions with the GT100s was that it needs an amp to give its best. BUT, I have to say that after about 30 hours of burn-in, it is excellent! I paired it with my old VAIO laptop (high end vaio from back in 2008), and it was amazing how it immersed me in the movies and music (with foobar2000 and wasapi). Very clear, separation was phenomenal, very wide soundstage, almost 3D. Soundstage depth is also above average. It is very similar with my Beyer DT770 250+Aune T1 Mk2 pair from the same source.

I am now burning in my xduoo x3 and hopefully it will improve the impression with the Macaws as well. 

The only complain now with the Macaws are its comfort (for me) with the stock tips. May be I have small concha. The headphones just doesn't stay very well in my ear. But as I said, it could only be me. Any recommendations for custom tips for people who doesn't have a good fit with these Macaws?

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #183 of 235
  My initial impressions with the GT100s was that it needs an amp to give its best. BUT, I have to say that after about 30 hours of burn-in, it is excellent! I paired it with my old VAIO laptop (high end vaio from back in 2008), and it was amazing how it immersed me in the movies and music (with foobar2000 and wasapi). Very clear, separation was phenomenal, very wide soundstage, almost 3D. Soundstage depth is also above average. It is very similar with my Beyer DT770 250+Aune T1 Mk2 pair from the same source.

I am now burning in my xduoo x3 and hopefully it will improve the impression with the Macaws as well. 

The only complain now with the Macaws are its comfort (for me) with the stock tips. May be I have small concha. The headphones just doesn't stay very well in my ear. But as I said, it could only be me. Any recommendations for custom tips for people who doesn't have a good fit with these Macaws?

conform tips are the way to go.  They make a wide variety of sizes and styles (some are sealed for great isolation and more bass, some are unsealed for better comfort when moving and a more neutral presentation).

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #185 of 235
I've been listening to a pair of GT100s with an iBasso DX80 that is at about 100 hours of burn in & the GT100s have around 48 hrs & I find the GT100s to be excessively bright. They seem to have a huge peak between 3K & 6K. It's a very metallic sound overall. Not very smooth at all. I can't get past the very thin metallic diaphragm sound. This is with the silver filters & stock earpieces. I don't find that the gold or black filters make any difference in this midrange peak. I'm hoping that they smooth out as they break in more. They sound OK if I EQ them, but on the DX80 EQ doesn't work above 48k sampled music. These GT100s are from a new shipment, so this may account for the fact that earlier reviewers had such high praise for them. If these are the same as earlier production, I don't understand all of the rave reviews.

kev 

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #186 of 235
I've been listening to a pair of GT100s with an iBasso DX80 that is at about 100 hours of burn in & the GT100s have around 48 hrs & I find the GT100s to be excessively bright. They seem to have a huge peak between 3K & 6K. It's a very metallic sound overall. Not very smooth at all. I can't get past the very thin metallic diaphragm sound. This is with the silver filters & stock earpieces. I don't find that the gold or black filters make any difference in this midrange peak. I'm hoping that they smooth out as they break in more. They sound OK if I EQ them, but on the DX80 EQ doesn't work above 48k sampled music. These GT100s are from a new shipment, so this may account for the fact that earlier reviewers had such high praise for them. If these are the same as earlier production, I don't understand all of the rave reviews.

kev 

Is your DX80 on high gain and are you sure you are getting a good fit?

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #187 of 235
Is your DX80 on high gain and are you sure you are getting a good fit?

I will work on the fit some, but I am getting pretty good external sound deadening with the complies & the low frequencies are nicely presented with very low extension. Yes, DX80 is on high gain. I like a lot of what I hear from these in the lower freqs & lower mids, but the sibilance is intolerable as are the edgy sounding highs. I will try them later with some tube amps & see if they are listenable.
kev
Update: Tried the GT100s on a G1217 Ember amp & I still can't listen to them. The tube preamp did not smooth out the highs. Still way too edgy & metallic upper midrange & low treble for my taste. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #190 of 235
I just ordered the GT100S from Penon Audio, $49 with awesome reviews were very appealing to my eyes.

Now, I must satisfy my ears, I'm not too treble sensitive, but I really dislike sibilances. I own DX80 and Fiio X3II, having noted a previous negative comment regarding the GT100s pairs with the DX80. I got the same issue with the Fiio EX1 (rebranded Titan 1) which can turns out to be rather sibilant on first usage, but after some burn in (8-10hrs) and searching for the right fit with the right tips, the sibilances were gone.

I believe that both tricks will be necessary on the GT100s as well, did anybody else experienced these high peaks so negatively and managed to erase them with burn in?

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #192 of 235
Just wanted to give an update on these. I have been using them at work daily for music and taking skype calls for about 4 months and these things absolutely rock! A co worker of mine even sold his pair of Shure SE425s after listening to these. I run them through my SMSL M2 everyday and they never fail to impress. They have held up good in terms of build quality and the foams tips are still going strong. They really need an amp though to bring out the sound in these IMO. The mic is fantastic no complaints. I did end up buy ear hooks for these since the cable is rubberized i found it hard to keep the wire behind my ear. I wish Macaw would put some memory wire at the top of these cables where they go around the ear to keep the wire in place. Sound clarity is amazing still and have even gotten better after burn in. The pouch has held up well as well, no issues there either. 

May 9, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #194 of 235
Got mine a few days ago for 50 USD from penon audio, weight and comfort is not an issue for me at all. The stock foam tips are actually pretty decent and it only took a couple hours for me to really start to appreciate these. For the price I am blown away by the sound, were a replacement for Shure se215's and there is no comparison. 

May 10, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #195 of 235
I just ordered the GT100S from Penon Audio, $49 with awesome reviews were very appealing to my eyes.

Now, I must satisfy my ears, I'm not too treble sensitive, but I really dislike sibilances. I own DX80 and Fiio X3II, having noted a previous negative comment regarding the GT100s pairs with the DX80. I got the same issue with the Fiio EX1 (rebranded Titan 1) which can turns out to be rather sibilant on first usage, but after some burn in (8-10hrs) and searching for the right fit with the right tips, the sibilances were gone.

I believe that both tricks will be necessary on the GT100s as well, did anybody else experienced these high peaks so negatively and managed to erase them with burn in?

I got one in from Penon as well (discounted review unit) and I have been using foam tips to tame the treble and for a better fit.

When I hold the Macaws in deep, the treble is more manageable (still bright). I think its body shape might give some people difficulty with fit, consequently giving annoying treble peaks. Just my 2 cents. 

But I gotta say, the bass on the macaw using stock filters is just mind blowing, loving the sub bass and midrange. If the treble was more reigned in, it would be damn near perfect. I have a full set of those ostry tips, and I will see how it affects the sound and report back. I have had the Macaw for some time now and review will be up soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back