MacaW GT100s(inverted dynamic driver) impressions thread
Dec 23, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #152 of 235
Interesting product.. thinking about getting a pair. The frequency response chart is quite weird though:

There is a weird dip going down at the 1k point, and very short increase (compared to rest of graph; note that -30 to -40 has been split in two steps in the chart so that the middle line is only a +5db increase) at 3.5k, then another huge dip down at 8k. the graph is also way too linear, so I assume there's been some editing of sorts.. unless it's something like the Fidue A65, which however has titanium drivers.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #153 of 235
Just ordered a pair. Have several flights coming up so wanted something that isolates well, even though I normally don't like IEMs. Should have them on Tuesday.

How are the microphonics on these?

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #156 of 235

I just did - there is a cancel option as long as the deal has not "dropped" - savings was only $2.00 over Amazon.

yeah, love massdrop, but $2 isn't worth waiting 2-3 more weeks, compared to two days.  Plus I have a flight on wednesday I want to use them.  Mine come in tomorrow, can't wait.  Also ordered a couple different pair of Comply tips.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #157 of 235

yeah, love massdrop, but $2 isn't worth waiting 2-3 more weeks, compared to two days.  Plus I have a flight on wednesday I want to use them.  Mine come in tomorrow, can't wait.  Also ordered a couple different pair of Comply tips.

I'll be getting mine next Monday - let us know how you like yours before you go, if you have time. Isn't this fun?

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #158 of 235
just got these, going to give them some burn in time, but initial impressions are... eh... I find the FR really wonky.  Like they're bright but veiled.  It almost reminds me of the treble on a HD600, but taken to an extreme beyond all reasonable extremes.  Huge 4k peak followed by an 8k hole, followed by a 12k peak that makes cymbals bright.  

With parametric EQ, I enjoyed them quite a bit, but straight out of my iPhone (ie the whole purpose I bought them for) I don't know that I can deal.  I played around with the silver and black, and couldn't decide which I liked better.  I'm scared of the gold filter because the 4 and 11k peaks already were so much for me, I don't know if I can deal with more treble, but I'll try.

Also having conform tips being sent, so maybe that will help too.  Going to give these every chance. I really like the build, the weight doesn't bother me at all, and I like the way they feel.  Wish the cable was less sticky/kinky but I think that will be fine with time.  

At this point though, I still prefer my $10 pair of innateck woody iems that nobody else in the world seems to have even ever heard of, lol.  

Again, going to keep giving these a chance, but it seems like my search for IEMs continues.  I'm in this position of not really liking IEMs (hate the inner ear being full feeling, even with CIEMS), so I can't justify spending more than $100-$200 for them, preferably less, but that also means I never really find anything I like.  

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #159 of 235
well, thankfully some adjustments/trying out all sorts of different combinations saved these for me.  Couldn't get past the wonky treble in the silver filter or the complete muffling in the black filter.  The gold filter was actually the best to my ears... But was still way too bright with the stock tips (foam or silicone).  However, I found the conform tips TX400 (extreme isolation plus wax guard) cut a lot of the harshness from the Gold, but still kept it linear and smooth.  It was still lacking in the bottom end at that point though.  It sounded okay, but was fairly severely rolled off in the bass.  So, I used the iPhone's bass boost (which is really a low pass filter, not a "boost" in any sense).  And that was the trick.  Even with all that it still wasn't bassy, but the signature reminded me a lot of the HD650.  Not nearly as refined obviously, but the same basic signature.  And the isolation was dramatically improved.  

So for me, that is what made these go from "my god I'm going to have to return these or just give them away" to "I can definitely live with these.  I'd call this arrangement: good detail, smooth, good soundstage, very isolating.

Now the "problem" is I tried the same tips on my $10 inateck woody IEMs and they also improved a lot, to the point where I think I still prefer them.  They're bass monsters, but no in a bloated way with the conform TX400 tips.  I used the Jazz EQ setting on the iPhone with that setup and they reminded me a lot of the THX00 (again, in signature, not refinement).

I also have the "sport" conform tips that I'll probably try out as well.  

But yeah, big sigh of relief, because my initial response with the stock tips and the silver filter was "no amount of burn in will ever make me like this signature, and no way an iPhone EQ setting can fix this either."

My take on the filters:

Gold sort of leaves the base signature alone.  And the base signature seems to be really treble hot.  I guess it makes sense given the inverted dynamic driver and metal construction.  The gold signature almost reminded me of an extreme version of the old SR325i.  

Silver cuts 8kHz but otherwise stays the same as the gold response.  Basically it digs an 8k hole, to make it less sibilant.  To my ears though, this instead made it sound simultaneously bright yet distant.

Black cuts 4kHz-12kHz.  It's not so much "bassy" as it is lower midrange-y.  It sounds really muddy to me, though much smoother than silver.  

So, to me Gold was the best starting point, as I found treble the easiest to tame via tips + EQ.  While silver probably sounds the best with no adjustments, it's also the hardest to adjust without resorting to parametric EQ, because the peaks and dips are so extreme.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #160 of 235
The macaw destroy havi b3,only for the serious listeners that use phones with amps and players with amps, that's why these were made,the new generation, you will be satisfied, it's like a home theater, they are so clear, and the headroom is awesome, they have them in black I'll probably get those to match my xduoo x3

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #161 of 235
I guess the phone and combination of player makes a tremendous difference, x5 all the way with either andes or the 17k, for my note 3 the 18 or 12e, they need power, just be careful not to blow them, I mean they go loud, but I rather not take a silly chance, fiio rocks, love all fiio products, plus the note phones, xduoox3 is my next journey, with sony xba a3, thinking of the z5 used ,new is too much, but new a3 is less than 290, the great things about note an 18 is to be able to use the notes internal dock and retrieve a super clean sound then passed to the amp, my next and perhaps last for a while might be sony 7550 and dx50 or dx90,or dx80,there not much apart
in price, just wanna get touchscreen after that I'll take some time of to enjoy and liste, download and mix music, by the way I also have both my note tablets the 10 and 8 and with amps and without they sound great, they both use wolfson, a lot of compares didn't know that,the 8 inch is great for portable, in good weather the 10 for moving around the house and as a juke box for my home system. Lol,

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #162 of 235
My alternative gold/black tips don't seem to fit. And when I try to screw the default silver tip into the bar the gold/black tips came in, the silver tip doesn't fit in that. Is there something I'm missing or is this a defect? Maybe the extra tips were from a different batch when they maybe used different sizes? Kinda sucks because I bought this as a gift for someone after hyping it up...

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #164 of 235
I have two pairs , they are great, get someone to help you, don't give up so quick, they are not gonna put different tips in a box that's sealed so well, because it takes like 15 minutes just to get everything out, they are a great company, if they were a gift why aren't you letting open it and have the fun of enjoying the opening package experience, so far , from everyone here its all been good, sorry your going through this ,but ,all you have to do is send it back , that's life, and get something else, it wasn't meant for you sometimes it's like that.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #165 of 235
I've examined them up close, and I can see that it looks like a completely different kind of screw. One actually looks smaller than the other. The threading on the default ones are more thin and finer, and the alternative tips' threading are thicker and have more gap between them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back