Mac Users - Entourage or Mail?
Feb 14, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are they not fun to use together?

I use this 100% of the time. I have 3 "gmail" accounts. 1 actual gmail account and 2 accounts hosted by google (all working the exact same way). Using the POP settings I archive my email with mail and with the Quicksilver and Spotlight integration with Mail I have insanely fast access to all my messages. When not near my laptop, I have ready access to my email via any comp with web access. It's a win win and I have never had a single problem. Anecdotal of course but I know of quite a few folks who do the same and have never had any problems.

I should have stated, "for my uses". I access my email all over the place. From my laptop, from my desktop, from work, school. Having mail in the mix simply didn't work well. Maybe if it cloned my gmail account so if I delete something from work, I can go home and have it not be in my mail inbox. I don't know about updated programs/hacks because I'm content with gmail's web interface (i like it a lot) and haven't looked into other options.

If I only had and accessed from one computer, Mail. Heck, I had more problems with .mac + Mail then gmail + Mail. It always asked for my password and such.

Tyler

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in general, I take it that you all are quite satisfied spending 99 bucks a year for the dot mac address?

I had a .Mac account for the first year I had my Mac, I let the subscription expire, wasn't worth the money to me.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

So in general, I take it that you all are quite satisfied spending 99 bucks a year for the dot mac address?

Just to be clear, you don't need to spend anything on .Mac to use Mail. The two products are only tangentially related.

Unless you use a lot of the .Mac services, it's not really worth the money.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

I am!
Cause we get more for the $99 bucks than an email address. Ex. 10GB of online storage space (ex. for website) and tight OS X integration.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #37 of 50
I use Mail. I think only if you have special mail server set up at the enterprise level will you have to Entourage.
I paid the $99 for multiple macs & Phones PDA, address book, iCal and safari Bookmarks Synced. Otherwise it will be very hard to keep track of all the different dates and address. as well as minor mail settting changes like rules.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a .Mac account for the first year I had my Mac, I let the subscription expire, wasn't worth the money to me.

x2. Tied it. Let it expire. It's a service Apple may better use in the future, but after years it still isn't worth it for most (as Wodgy has said). Although it wouldn't be as integrated to the desktop (again I'm not sure I'd start from that perspective), you can throw together a much better package for the price. I've already stated my preference for some Google webapps (mail/docs & spreadsheets/calendering), but coupled with Flickr/Picasa Web, Del.icio.us/Google Bookmarks, Amazons S3 (the only paid service I've mention so far - and unfortunately down today, but so far less than .Mac has been), etc., you can have a nice view/transfer/backup system.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used Claris Emailer and Eudora in the past. Now it's all Mail.

See ya
Steve

Claris Emailer, now that's a blast from the past. Really wasn't that bad.

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #40 of 50
Tylernol actually got my .mac for a year and I really enjoyed but I would never pay $99/ year for it! With all these other services I would consider $20.

That being said, gmail + mail works extremely well for me. I have never deleted an email from my gmail account but on mail I can view my most recent mails.

Mail did bug out once on me and wouldn't work until I totally messed with it but I like it better than thunderbird.

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been a mac guy most recently for 2 - 3 years, longer in the past, with winders interludes here and there. I've always just used Yahoo mail on the web, and it suits my needs fine, mostly. I want to try out one of the two mail programs as I am starting to collect a couple or 3 mail accounts and it would be hand to have local access rather than just web access. Last time I researched all of this, I got analysis paralysis and took no action. I may eventually get an iPhone or other smartphone, or not. I also would like to most easily migrate my contacts from address book, yahoo, shutterfly and wherever else I have them into the mail program I end up using. Any real life stories out there?

Thanks!!!

aamefford

i use mail, its pretty good! does everything i need. I use 3 other email accounts and access them via my mail application. Its great!

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #42 of 50
Mail.
BUT, the one feature I really like about entourage is that it can selectively sync IMAP folders (Selectively NOT sync some, that is).

I think thunderbird is superior, probably to both, but mail is sufficient for all my needs, and implemented much better into the OS. duh.

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mail.
BUT, the one feature I really like about entourage is that it can selectively sync IMAP folders (Selectively NOT sync some, that is).

I think thunderbird is superior, probably to both, but mail is sufficient for all my needs, and implemented much better into the OS. duh.

I use Thunderbird, as well, and prefer it to the others. I also like that I can run it on the Linux box, too.

Mail might be worth it if it gets tighter iPhone integration - this is one toy I find it increasingly harder to live without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back