MAC users, do you use optical out or just usb for dac
Jan 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 71
Optical out for me.
Mostly through an AirPort Express, but occasionally straight from the MBP.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 71
Optical out. All the way everyday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 71
I've used USB and digital optical out with my Mac Mini. Currently using Airport Express optical out. No difference in sound that I could perceive out of my 0404 USB.

USB is likely cheaper as you probably have the necessary cable already. But you will need to change your output settings (I did with 0404 via Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup).

For optical out, I had to buy a mini toslink cable (could only find one cheap-o one at Fry's and it was still $20). No need to switch anything settings wise to use.

I think with USB (at least with my 0404 USB), I could set the system sounds to output from audio out while music output to USB.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 71
I used to use the USB in on the AQVOX when I was still after using its headphone out every now and then. As I only use the 005 with it now, I switched to optical. I never noticed the slightest difference, but I like to eliminate possibilities for hum to creep in = no electrical connection where not necessary.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 71
Depends on the DAC or amp I'm using, but it doesn't really matter either way.

One benefit of the optical out, however, is that it keeps your USB ports free for other things.

I highly recommend the free utlity SoundSource by Rogue Amoeba for use with USB audio devices. It allows you to use a simple menubar utility to direct where your audio goes without having to open up AudioMIDI Setup.

--Chris

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 71
I suppose I'm a bit backward. When I set up my iMac, I simply plugged a stereo mini-connector into the proper soundcard port, and thought it all sounded good out of my powered Protons. I have USB and/or firewire available. Would an outboard DAC make a really big difference?

Laz

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would an outboard DAC make a really big difference?

Depending on the rest of the gear of course.
But an external DAC can make a really big difference. Especially in a system with high quality components all the way.

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 71
optical for dac 1

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #14 of 71
Powerbook G4 user here, and I'm using USB for iBasso D1.
(Because I just realize there is no optical out from this mac)

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #15 of 71
USB almost exclusively, through various solutions (except for skype or other 'unpredictable' sound which I hesitate to play through speakers or nice headphones but opt for built-in tinny speakers of the computer, just in case some freaky staticky noise should fry my ears for good...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back