MAC users, do you use optical out or just usb for dac
Oct 3, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #61 of 71
Mac Pro --> Airport Express --> Optical Out --> Exteral DAC --> Receiver Amp.

I need to shop around for a good head amp, but since I don't even have a headphone any more, I am using external DAC amp for HT stereo only.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #62 of 71
What benefit do you think an expensive optical cable is going to get you over a $7 toslink to minicable from monoprice.com?

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

What benefit do you think an expensive optical cable is going to get you over a $7 toslink to minicable from monoprice.com

Whilst all logic and science should indicate the answer to be "nothing", I truly do find the VdH Optocoupler II to sound better than a standard toslink (incl. a glass toslink from A'gon).

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #66 of 71
Yes, but he's saying he's going to stick with usb until he can afford a good optical cable. That's a choice that doesn't make sense to me...especially when the need for a mini to toslink converter will be needed for any fancy optical cable.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #67 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by cscamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had little popping and crackling when i used USB to my Onkyo SE-U55 external DAC so I bought a mini to toslink cable to try it out in my Imac. The popping disappeared but the output volume is too low....i had to turn my Audioengine A2's volume all the way up to get an audible sound.

The iMac's optical out settings volume was disabled but set to max. I was disappointed with the optical out of the iMac.

Now my SuperProDAC 707 should arrive next week and im going to try it again but i'll also buy a Kimber USB cable to see if it will make a difference. I will also buy a better quality fiber optic cable that i bought from monoprice.

Anyone one else have the same issue when using the opitcal out on a Mac?

I have discovered the Super pro DAC707 performs at an even higher level when supplied power by a 24v Sigma 11 PSU. It takes it up closer to the level of the HR Micro DAC and Pico, which I think are all better than my old iBasso D1 optical DAC. Sherwood and I played with it a bit on Friday during a Stax headphone party at my house.

With the Sigma 11 PSU the audio background is blacker, and the sound is more dynamic and more refined. With the crappy stock PSU the DAC tends to run quite hot, and the background is noisier and the sound is a little edgy at times; making it perform a little below my old iBasso D1, not to mention the others. With the stock PSU it does a decent job though, for those on a budget.

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #68 of 71
Optical out ---> Stello DA 100 Signature , etc ...

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #69 of 71
I use both...
Since my MacBook Pro have both USB and optical out, and the same goes for the Isabellina. Simply have not been able to resort to one connection yet, since they both have their pros and cons.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #71 of 71
I use optical with my AT-HA25D DAC Headphone Amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back