Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Aug 12, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #1,938 of 3,495
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't notice anything different...

I can't download 1.5.4 to compare it to either.

Have fun :)  [size=14.999999046325684px]http://audirvana.com/delivery/AudirvanaPlus_1.5.4.dmg[/size]

Hm thanks!

Just did a test. The mids on the 1.5.4 sound a little more congested and rougher. On a regular day-to-day usage though, I don't think anyone would really hear the difference as I didn't at first. The difference is hardly big and the last thing I want to think about is the audio being drastically altered between a 0.0.1 upgrade in firmware. -.-

^ 1.5.4 on the left, 1.5.5 on the right; integer mode and hog mode enabled

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #1,939 of 3,495
If I take a picture with my camera, and process it with photoshop- are you telling me there's a program out there that will make it look sharper or more colourful than the original master file, without changing anything at all?
Surely there might be a program that adds slight sharpness, or saturation as a post effect during rendering, so is that not the same for audio- maybe you're confusing 'wider soundstage' for an invisible reverb plug in, or 'deeper bass' is really just an invisible eq boost?

I get the benefit of bit perfect playback and native flac support, but the things some of you are saying make no sense

I was happy with iTunes, but now because of you lot I have to try more software...

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #1,940 of 3,495
It has to do with the hardware, not the data. 

I borrowed a friend's Resonessence Invicta and have been trying DSD files via Audirvana Plus. Now I understand what people have been ranting on about. I'm not sure that the resolution isn't actually worse, but acoustical music sounds more natural and less aggressive, that's for sure.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,941 of 3,495
Quote:
Hm thanks!

Just did a test. The mids on the 1.5.4 sound a little more congested and rougher. On a regular day-to-day usage though, I don't think anyone would really hear the difference as I didn't at first. The difference is hardly big and the last thing I want to think about is the audio being drastically altered between a 0.0.1 upgrade in firmware. -.-

To me the biggest difference in 1.5.5 is when you active the sysoptimizer function and set the new A+ prioritizer to Extreme.  I won't go and spit out a bunch of superlatives but I definitely noticed a much better sound

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,942 of 3,495
Quote:
Quote:
Hm thanks!

To me the biggest difference in 1.5.5 is when you active the sysoptimizer function and set the new A+ prioritizer to Extreme.  I won't go and spit out a bunch of superlatives but I definitely noticed a much better sound

Maybe I'm deaf at 22 years old but I don't hear much of a difference in sound quality with the SysOptimizer on Extreme with my M-100 straight out of my MacBook Pro Retina Display in a "coffee shop." I think I hear the instruments become a little more defined with the Extreme mode, but that's all I can tell for now. Were I to blind test it, I don't think there would be any difference in sound from this setup (i.e. I'm doing a listening test right now and I don't recall which setting I'm on; it sounds like the same sound I hear from day-to-day usage on normal mode).

1. I don't use Time Machine
2. I usually don't use Audirvana Plus with my iPhone connected
3. I don't use Spotlight too often
I don't see how disabling any of the above can alter the sound quality if it doesn't really apply to me in the first place.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,944 of 3,495
Mmk I'm back at home with my more critical listening setup and yeah it does make things more crisp and well-defined as well as increasing the soundstage depth. Not a huge difference, but I notice it. With it off, instruments seem kind of flat and not very lively.

Test track was with this album:

More specifically, with the "Groove [Binaural]" track since the drums in the left channel are pretty much constant throughout the entire song and is easy to follow along with.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,945 of 3,495
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro running Mac OS X 10.7.5. 

I normally stream apple lossless audio from Itunes to an AIrport Express which has a Toslink connection to a Nuforce DDA-100 amp. 

I would like to know if A+ can play and stream the audio to the Airport Express. If so how do I do this?

I tried to run A+ but find that it only plays through the macbook speakers. Under A+ Preferences.Audio System. Preferred Audio Device I can only see an option for "Built In Output". In the drop down I cant find any other option.

Is there any way I can get A+ to stream audio to the AIrport Express?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,946 of 3,495
Quote:
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro running Mac OS X 10.7.5. 

I normally stream apple lossless audio from Itunes to an AIrport Express which has a Toslink connection to a Nuforce DDA-100 amp. 

I would like to know if A+ can play and stream the audio to the Airport Express. If so how do I do this?

I tried to run A+ but find that it only plays through the macbook speakers. Under A+ Preferences.Audio System. Preferred Audio Device I can only see an option for "Built In Output". In the drop down I cant find any other option.

Is there any way I can get A+ to stream audio to the AIrport Express?

Thanks in advance.

I dont think it would be possible to stream music to Airport Express through A+. Even with the iTunes integration mode enabled since all the music is routed through A+ it would be responsible for handling the output. And A+ does not have the Airplay feature built into it as it is a proprietary Apple tech. Better to stick with iTunes if you want to stream your music. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #1,947 of 3,495
I dont think it would be possible to stream music to Airport Express through A+. Even with the iTunes integration mode enabled since all the music is routed through A+ it would be responsible for handling the output. And A+ does not have the Airplay feature built into it as it is a proprietary Apple tech. Better to stick with iTunes if you want to stream your music. 

In A+ preferences just choose airplay as audio output :wink:

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,948 of 3,495
^ As easy as that. Since I dont have any Airplay devices I did not know that they would show up in the audio output preference. Great. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #1,949 of 3,495
Yeah okay I do notice some differences when the SysOptimizer is on/off. I prefer it on with some tracks, and off in others.

This is so weird. Why is the audio process in Mac so much more complicated than Windows?
Windows -> Foobar2000 -> WASAPI -> done
Mac -> media player -> voodoo magic -> more voodoo magic -> room for improvement -> more voodoo magic...

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #1,950 of 3,495
Yeah okay I do notice the difference when the SysOptimizer is on/off. This is so weird. Why is the audio process in Mac so much more complicated than Windows?
Windows -> Foobar2000 -> WASAPI -> done
Mac -> media player -> voodoo magic -> more voodoo magic -> room for improvement -> more voodoo magic...

Because Apple is a cult and you've got to be initiated to belong to the sect :p

More seriously, what you are quoting is not OS related, it is just an application related question.
Personnaly I hate so much the general look and feel of windows, I would never to try to use it in audio simply because the system is always made of tweaks and tricks just to make it work the way it is supposed to, you always need a workaround for common features, and I began with DOS 6.2 more than twenty something years ago... :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back