Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Sep 20, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #1,486 of 3,495
Quote:
I use it as an alternative to iTunes, and the music library media player alternative to Foobar for Mac OS X (it's especially convenient for showing your entire library rather than the limited list in Audirvana Plus or Fidelia). It's a great program for those purposes, but for high-fidelity, critical listening I wouldn't use it. I do like the internet capabilities of it though.

Audirvana Plus integrates with iTunes now, so you can play through iTunes as well.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,488 of 3,495
Figured this would be the place to ask. I've been using Aurdirvana Plus and Amarra HiFi and have been having some skipping issues with both after awhile of music playing.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone kniw how to fix it?

Juat to chime in though. I like Aurdirvana the moat as the iTunes integration is flawless. I want something to integrate well with iTunnes as I love the remote app on iDevices.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #1,489 of 3,495
Quote:
Figured this would be the place to ask. I've been using Aurdirvana Plus and Amarra HiFi and have been having some skipping issues with both after awhile of music playing.
Anyone else have this issue? Anyone kniw how to fix it?
Juat to chime in though. I like Aurdirvana the moat as the iTunes integration is flawless. I want something to integrate well with iTunnes as I love the remote app on iDevices.

I just bought Audirvana Plus as i was pretty impressed by the free trial. Had no problems with it at all over the two weeks until, last night it was skipping profusely. I tried restarting it and it was still doing it. I had a few applications running at the same time so i shut them down. Namely firefox, beatport app and utorrent and everything started working smoothly again. I haven't had the problem since. I can't be certain that those processes were chewing up the system. I would hope not, as i only bought my mac last month.

Be interested to hear if anyone else out there has experienced something similar?

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,490 of 3,495
The skipping issue is due to lack of resources, are you having Audirvana load to the RAM?  If so that is almost always what causes skipping, especially with high resolution downloads.  I had the same problem on my 2010 macbook until I loaded it with 8gb of ram.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,491 of 3,495
Who ever said iTunes does not give a bitperfect audio signal is a liar.

I tested it with both iTunes and VLC and both players give a bitperfect signal.
(Volume maxed, no EQ, etc.).

Tested with audiolab m-dac's Bitperfect test.

Don't buy any of these "audiophile" programs like Amarra.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #1,492 of 3,495
Quote:
Who ever said iTunes does not give a bitperfect audio signal is a liar.

I tested it with both iTunes and VLC and both players give a bitperfect signal.
(Volume maxed, no EQ, etc.).

Tested with audiolab m-dac's Bitperfect test.

Don't buy any of these "audiophile" programs like Amarra.

Ok, I'm intersted.
Although there are differences in sound between iTunes and all these different players amongst themselves as well (I own 4 of them) and one might like the sound of one better to the other, I would love to know which one has the output that is most true to the signal, thus the most bitperfect.

So I would love to ask three things:
- What is audiolab m-dac's bitperfect test?
- Can you do the same test with trial versions of some of the players and post comparisons?
- Is there any way you can post the results of the iTunes test you did as proof?

But in any case, one does need an app like "BitPerfect" at least (just a few bucks) to get the automatic bitrate switching because iTunes dfoesn't do that and up/downsamples all files to the bitrate of the first song you played. Doing it manually and shutting down iTunes each time is just a hassle.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,494 of 3,495
Also, the very first track played sets the sample rate for the rest, no matter the rez...until the program is closed and relaunched. With 2013 @ the front door, this is amusing...

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,495 of 3,495
Also, the very first track played sets the sample rate for the rest, no matter the rez...until the program is closed and relaunched. With 2013 @ the front door, this is amusing...

Well my CDP sure is fooled then because the rate changes as soon as I put on a high res file with them running. As does the MIDI setting on my MBP.

Neither of those happen with iTunes alone.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,498 of 3,495
Quote:
Quote:
Which is exactly what Silent One and I said, no?

I felt like SilentOne was implying they do nothing by saying it was amusing. I only use one for that feature.

So it's what you said, yes.

Edit: If I misunderstood SilentOne that's my bad.

It's okay...we're all looking out for each other.

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #1,499 of 3,495
You select the BitPerfect test in audiolab m-dac's menu.
It asks you to play a file you can download here: http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC

I connected the m-dac with some very cheap USB cable to my Mac and launched iTunes, started the BitPerfect test on the m-dac and started playing the test file in iTunes.
The m-dac will show if the signals are bitperfect or not on it's built-in display.

I think the m-dac has the same test file on it's firmware and checks if the data from the USB input is equally to the data on the firmware.

Quote:
- What is audiolab m-dac's bitperfect test?

Yes, which players should I use?

Quote:
- Can you do the same test with trial versions of some of the players and post comparisons?

I could make a video showing the display of the m-dac saying "Accurate data".

Quote:
- Is there any way you can post the results of the iTunes test you did as proof?

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #1,500 of 3,495
I downloaded the free trial of Audirvana yesterday. I like it, but it was skipping a bit with the HDtracks version of Jazz At The Pawnshop (88.2kHz, 24-bit). I'm using an iMac w/ 4GB ram, a PS Audio DL III, and a Bottlehead Crack/Senn 650 combo.

Any solutions besides more ram?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back