Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #871 of 3,495
Just thought I'd bring it up:

Winamp is available on Mac OS X: http://www.winamp.com/media-player

I saw this article from Lifehacker.com for Enqueue, which is apparently a replacement for iTunes?: http://www.enqueueapp.com/

Another article from Lifehacker.com is for Simplier, which is a lightweight iTunes media player from what I've read (note that it's $2.99 on the Mac App Store): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simplier/id467077932?mt=12

I personally haven't used these media players yet, but my main ones are Clementine, VLC, and Vox. Clementine is a media player that is iTunes-like-ish, VLC is a pretty basic media player for many file types, and Vox is a decent media player for sound enhancements.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #872 of 3,495
Ive found that some sort of bineaural mode or cross-feed is absolutely necessary for my older jazz, it was meant to be played with speakers, so I have the percussion on one side of my head and the trumpet on the opposite side, with no cross feed at all, perfectly 180 degrees from each other. It presents a very confusing image to me, and this is when I really appreciate Vox's support for multiple bineaural settings. The jan meier seems to keep them well spaced, maybe at 90 degrees from each other (in front of me). The Chu Moy brings it even further in front of me, and the default is directly in front of me.

I wish that either Audirvana or Better Sound would introduce the bineaural setting (and maybe an EQ, is that too much to ask?) so I could get that level of quality while keeping the trumpets and drums on both sides of my head.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #873 of 3,495

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #874 of 3,495
I've been using Audirvana (the free version until now) and agree that iTunes sound really 'sat on' by comparison.

I didn't really appreciate just how big the difference was until I started using 'phones more (thanks Head-fi) and bought a Fiio E10.

Since then iTunes sounds pants!!

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #875 of 3,495
I use iTunes for the convenience of Home Sharing.  My library is 30/70 split of music purchased from iTunes and ripped from CDs.  What would I gain from one of these other player?

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #876 of 3,495
I saw this article from Lifehacker.com for Enqueue, which is apparently a replacement for iTunes?: http://www.enqueueapp.com/

Btw, I've been really liking Enqueue. It keeps a library just like itunes. (It can even import your itunes library.) It seems nice and efficient. (I loaded 1.5Tb music from an external hdd into it, and it works!) It has global hotkeys. This could actually be the player that i pay money for.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #877 of 3,495

Quote:
Btw, I've been really liking Enqueue. It keeps a library just like itunes. (It can even import your itunes library.) It seems nice and efficient. (I loaded 1.5Tb music from an external hdd into it, and it works!) It has global hotkeys. This could actually be the player that i pay money for.

How is the sound of Engueue?

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #878 of 3,495
Enqueue doesn't seem to offer any up sampling, etc.  It's a light shell as far as I can see and I am guessing that it goes straight to core audio, since they don't brag about their audio processing, so it maybe easier to use and lighter, but it's not going to change the sound...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #879 of 3,495
Looks like just a cataloging alternative then with the addition of playing , FLAC files and Last.fm support but not really a music player in the sense of Audirvana, Bitperfect, Fildelia Amarra and so on.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #881 of 3,495
I found "hog mode" to be very annoying.  I get the purpose, but it creates a problem depending on your lifestyle.  I often listen to music in bed while my wife is either reading or has gone to sleep.  A few weeks ago I was listening to music with the app in "hog mode" and I opened some web site that has sound embedded.  The music played through my headphones and the website played through my laptop speakers.  Needless to say my wife was pretty ticked that I had woken her up by some nonsensical advertisement on a random website.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #882 of 3,495

Quote:
I found "hog mode" to be very annoying.  I get the purpose, but it creates a problem depending on your lifestyle.  I often listen to music in bed while my wife is either reading or has gone to sleep.  A few weeks ago I was listening to music with the app in "hog mode" and I opened some web site that has sound embedded.  The music played through my headphones and the website played through my laptop speakers.  Needless to say my wife was pretty ticked that I had woken her up by some nonsensical advertisement on a random website.

Which app and what platform?

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #883 of 3,495

Quote:

Hog mode works by hogging the audio output of your Mac and disallow any other programs (including browsers) to output sound. I have yet to come across an app that will automatically output sound into the secondary audio output device when the primary device has been hogged. Interesting phenomenon
regular_smile%20.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back