Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Nov 5, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #856 of 3,495
Audirvana Plus with iTunes integration just got a new update today.  I eventually came across several bugs with first beta but so far the new build seem perfect.  Plays completely in the background, files load quickly, and Apple's Remote apps works flawlessly with it.  Also still have option to use player as stand alone.  Other nice feature is has setting to turn off Spotlight and Time Machine while using it to cut back on CPU usage.  So for now, this is my preferred player.

Nov 5, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #857 of 3,495
Problem is, if you have already tried out Audirvana Plus this new revision is not seen as a new trail, therefore requiring full purchase of what is a Beta with bugs. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #858 of 3,495

Quote:
Problem is, if you have already tried out Audirvana Plus this new revision is not seen as a new trail, therefore requiring full purchase of what is a Beta with bugs. 

Well if you do purchase, you are free to use the regular version too.  But so far after a whole day of use of current beta, I've have yet to encounter a bug.  Maybe you can email developer and see if you can get extra 15 days asking to test out integrated mode.

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #859 of 3,495
@ Iamoneagain, thanks for the tip on Audirvana Plus.

Downloaded the trial and compared with iTunes, Decibel, Amarra and Fidelia. In my opinion Audirvana delivers the best sound, an amazing warm and exciting sound. Also liked the interface simulating an HiFi component.

This comparison also reminded me how bad iTunes sounds.

In the Audirvana FAQs, founded this comment:

"Audirvana fully works under Lion.
But as of today (10.7.1), Lion is not supporting Integer Mode anymore. As there is no information from Apple on a date for a potential fix for this regression, it is strongly recommended to keep a Snow Leopard partition to boot on to get the best results."

What does this mean?

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #860 of 3,495

Quote:
@ Iamoneagain, thanks for the tip on Audirvana Plus.

Downloaded the trial and compared with iTunes, Decibel, Amarra and Fidelia. In my opinion Audirvana delivers the best sound, an amazing warm and exciting sound. Also liked the interface simulating an HiFi component.

This comparison also reminded me how bad iTunes sounds.

In the Audirvana FAQs, founded this comment:

"Audirvana fully works under Lion.
But as of today (10.7.1), Lion is not supporting Integer Mode anymore. As there is no information from Apple on a date for a potential fix for this regression, it is strongly recommended to keep a Snow Leopard partition to boot on to get the best results."

What does this mean?

I'm not quite sure what it means but this is same issue on all other players that use Integer Mode, not just Aurirvana.  I'm just using optical toslink to my DAC, so don't think my setup supported this mode anyway.

If you downloaded the integrated beta version, make sure you have it check for updates, to get latest version.  Then in menu, select integrated with iTunes.  You may have to quit and restart for best results.  At this point, you not longer have to touch Audirvana unless changing any of the settings.  Some are claiming better sound with stand alone option, but I can't hear the difference myself and prefer to use iTunes as my front-end.

Edit: After a little testing, it does seems like using it stand-alone makes a slight improvement in sound. Just a little fuller and richer. But I could be hearing things since it seems close.  The developer did say once he got the functionality of integrated mode down, he'd work on optimizing the sound in this mode.  Seems like he quickly worked almost all the bugs out, so I'm imagine it won't be long before he starts on optimization.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #861 of 3,495
I just tried using Audirvana Plus and it has gone unresponsive every time I try to use it.... It just sits there and causes my cpu to give itself a heart attack. It is completely unusable for me as is. I tried changing the settings so that it was not as cpu intensive, but it was already unresponsive by the time I got to the preferences pane. I will stick to the free version for my ultra-flac needs and bettersound for my itunes needs.

I have a 2007 macbook pro, 2.1ghz 3 gigs of RAM (it came with 1 gig O_o)

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #862 of 3,495
I just tried using Audirvana Plus and it has gone unresponsive every time I try to use it.... It just sits there and causes my cpu to give itself a heart attack. It is completely unusable for me as is. I tried changing the settings so that it was not as cpu intensive, but it was already unresponsive by the time I got to the preferences pane. I will stick to the free version for my ultra-flac needs and bettersound for my itunes needs.

I have a 2007 macbook pro, 2.1ghz 3 gigs of RAM (it came with 1 gig O_o)

make sure upsampling is off.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #863 of 3,495

Quote:
Big update for Audirvana Plus, there is now an iTunes integrated beta version out:

http://audirvana.com/?page_id=4

So I've been basically using Audirvana Plus the last few days but hoping BitPerfect would eventually upgrade it's sound.  But now with Plus' new beta, I have amazing sound plus full integration.  I also don't have BitPerfect's gapless bug, where I could only use playlists or it would play wrong track for a second.  Keep in mind, this is first beta release and others are finding bugs. So far, I've been lucky and all is well.  It runs completely in the background and gapless is working flawlessly.

Just wanted to point out, that BitPerfect's gapless bug was actually cause by some script or plug-in, or both.  When I was trying to get the new Audirvan Plus with iTunes integration to work, they said to delete all your scripts and plug-ins.  Well this also fixed any problems I was having with BitPerfect as well.

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #864 of 3,495
well whatever the case, after the latest update, audirvana plus is working just fine. I think it was having trouble with the itunes integration + upsampling.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #865 of 3,495
Bit perfect is a fail for me.  It worked for a while but now it is incredibly distorted.  Pure Music sounds great but the UI is gross and iTunes pops to the front every time a track changes.  

Guess I will try Audirvana.  Sure wish PM would update the UI and iTunes window jump.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 10, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #866 of 3,495

Quote:
Bit perfect is a fail for me.  It worked for a while but now it is incredibly distorted.  Pure Music sounds great but the UI is gross and iTunes pops to the front every time a track changes.  

Guess I will try Audirvana.  Sure wish PM would update the UI and iTunes window jump.

Mine doesn't have the window jumping forward. I'm pretty sure it's a setting issue. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #867 of 3,495
Side note: Ecoute 3.0 is expected to drop on the Mac App Store today.

I like to use this one occasionally, but most of the time I use MPD -- both on my linux server (home stereo / headphone rig) and my macbook air.

In fact, MPD (Music Player Daemon) probably deserves a spot on the original post. It's a music player that runs in the background with no interface, so you need another app to let you control it. The site has instructions to install it on OSX with a tool called homebrew. Theramin is the pretty mac client, but there are nice web-based ones, too. I rather like client175... It's written in python and has its own, self-contained web server.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #868 of 3,495

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. Send me a PM describing the kind of distortion and I'll try to find a solution for you.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #870 of 3,495

Quote:
Big update for Audirvana Plus, there is now an iTunes integrated beta version out:

http://audirvana.com/?page_id=4

So I've been basically using Audirvana Plus the last few days but hoping BitPerfect would eventually upgrade it's sound.  But now with Plus' new beta, I have amazing sound plus full integration.  I also don't have BitPerfect's gapless bug, where I could only use playlists or it would play wrong track for a second.  Keep in mind, this is first beta release and others are finding bugs. So far, I've been lucky and all is well.  It runs completely in the background and gapless is working flawlessly.

Been also using Audirvana Plus for the past few days.  The new integration feature is excellent.   Sonics are also very good.  I still prefer Amarra but it's catching up for sure.   

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back