Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Oct 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #843 of 3,495
Very happy with Decibel.

Tried Amarra and cannot even make it work. Looks like it lacks quality control.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #844 of 3,495

Quote:
Very happy with Decibel.

Tried Amarra and cannot even make it work. Looks like it lacks quality control.

Yeah, I've basically given up on Amarra,  Had trouble re-registering with new update and didn't bother to follow up with support.  I was kind of settled with BitPerfect based on ease of use but then decided to give a listen to the other players again to test sound quality.  I finally tried Decibel and surprised that I liked it more than BitPefect. Decibel was noticeably better with drums and bass in general.  It also has a richer tone and fills out the soundstage better.  Just gets me into the music more.  BitPefect does sound good but it's more a technical sound in comparison.  The same goes for the new Audirvana Plus.  Technically a great player but also missing the richness of Decibel. 

So once you load up the script to get the Apple remote app to work and set the IR remote to exclusive use, Decibel is pretty easy to use.  Not quite the integration of BitPerfect, but I'm happy with it for now.  I'll keep checking BitPefect for improved sound quality when new releases come out hoping it comes to par. Then I can get best integration with best sound quality.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #846 of 3,495

Quote:
@iamoneagain, can I ask what Amarra charged you for the privilege of using their software ?

I believe I paid $299 at the time for the mini version.  Now, I do admit their support got back to me and said they could remote in and fix my problem, but just haven't bothered since Decibel and BitPerfect have filled it's place.  But even if they get me past sign in, the biggest issue with Amarra for me is it doesn't play ALAC files converted from XLD or MAX correctly. It's the only player that has this problem.  At the very end of those files, it will loop for a few second.  It's a known bug listed on their website the last I looked.

From their website:

Quote:
Apple Lossless created in Max and xld may not play correctly

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #847 of 3,495

Quote:
I believe I paid $299 at the time for the mini version.  Now, I do admit their support got back to me and said they could remote in and fix my problem, but just haven't bothered since Decibel and BitPerfect have filled it's place.  But even if they get me past sign in, the biggest issue with Amarra for me is it doesn't play ALAC files converted from XLD or MAX correctly. It's the only player that has this problem.  At the very end of those files, it will loop for a few second.  It's a known bug listed on their website the last I looked.

Hmm I face none of the problems you described.

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #848 of 3,495

Quote:
Hmm I face none of the problems you described.

Do you use ALAC files converted from MAX or XLD?  I know using AIFF files fixes any problems but it also takes up way too much space.  I also see no reason to use uncompressed files.  As far as signing in, I can't get past the part where you enter new password.

I'm not saying everyone has my problems. In fact I"m probably in the minority since I would think I'd see more people complaining the looping problem.  And support can fix my sign-on problem, so that's not a major issue.  

I'm just venting is all.  But still shocked how just one guy (BitPerfect) can build such a simple but effective interface while Amarra's team has such a clunker as far as I'm concerned. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #849 of 3,495

Quote:
Do you use ALAC files converted from MAX or XLD?  I know using AIFF files fixes any problems but it also takes up way too much space.  I also see no reason to use uncompressed files.  As far as signing in, I can't get past the part where you enter new password.

I'm not saying everyone has my problems. In fact I"m probably in the minority since I would think I'd see more people complaining the looping problem.  And support can fix my sign-on problem, so that's not a major issue.  

I'm just venting is all.  But still shocked how just one guy (BitPerfect) can build such a simple but effective interface while Amarra's team has such a clunker as far as I'm concerned. 

My ALAC files converted using MAX are XLD works just fine.

Bitperfect just doesn't sound as good as Amarra, Fidelia, Audirvana and Decibel on my system.

Of course when it comes to price, none can match it.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #850 of 3,495

Quote:
My ALAC files converted using MAX are XLD works just fine.

Bitperfect just doesn't sound as good as Amarra, Fidelia, Audirvana and Decibel on my system.

Of course when it comes to price, none can match it.

Oh, that's good to know.  Maybe I'll have support get me in and see if I'm still have problems.  I believe the only fix I found was to convert to AIFF files and then back to ALAC which was just a pain since I wouldn't know if I had a problem until the song started to loop.  And then I'd have to spend time converting when I should just be enjoying my music.

I believe BitPerfect is still in the beginning stages and the developer is going to look into improving sound quality. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #851 of 3,495

Quote:
Oh, that's good to know.  Maybe I'll have support get me in and see if I'm still have problems.  I believe the only fix I found was to convert to AIFF files and then back to ALAC which was just a pain since I wouldn't know if I had a problem until the song started to loop.  And then I'd have to spend time converting when I should just be enjoying my music.

I believe BitPerfect is still in the beginning stages and the developer is going to look into improving sound quality. 

Yeah I certainly hope BitPerfect will improve along the way. It makes you wanna use iTunes more.
So far it seems to work better on headphones than on speakers.

Am still preferring Fidelia right now by a large margin.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #852 of 3,495

Quote:
Yeah I certainly hope BitPerfect will improve along the way. It makes you wanna use iTunes more.
So far it seems to work better on headphones than on speakers.

Am still preferring Fidelia right now by a large margin.

I'll have to give Fidelia another try too.  I was never a fan before but you never know.  Right now Decibel is sounding best in my system.  Was able to get previous build of Amarra to work and found it does sound great but Decibel is a little more involving than Amarra.  Amarra has more depth and tad more clarity but doesn't get my foot tapping the way Decibel does.  And doesn't look like Amarra had any changes to it's sound in latest build, so might just pass on it for now.  Haven't checked out Pure Music lately but don't own it and don't plan to shell out any more money.  In past I didn't find it as involving as other players.  Just a very clean sound and no richness to it.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #853 of 3,495
Have been comparing Fidelia with Decibel (my preferred and default player).

Fidelia delivers great clean sound quality with a great interface looking like an hifi component.

Decided to keep Decibel by a very thin margin. The sound is a bit more exciting.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #854 of 3,495

Quote:
Have been comparing Fidelia with Decibel (my preferred and default player).

Fidelia delivers great clean sound quality with a great interface looking like an hifi component.

Decided to keep Decibel by a very thin margin. The sound is a bit more exciting.

Yeah, that's what I'm noticing about Decibel.  It's somehow more engaging while other players might have a slightly cleaner sound.  But when listening to music as a whole, Decibel seems to just pull ahead.  But I'll check out Fidelia just to see.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #855 of 3,495
Big update for Audirvana Plus, there is now an iTunes integrated beta version out:

http://audirvana.com/?page_id=4

So I've been basically using Audirvana Plus the last few days but hoping BitPerfect would eventually upgrade it's sound.  But now with Plus' new beta, I have amazing sound plus full integration.  I also don't have BitPerfect's gapless bug, where I could only use playlists or it would play wrong track for a second.  Keep in mind, this is first beta release and others are finding bugs. So far, I've been lucky and all is well.  It runs completely in the background and gapless is working flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back