Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Apr 2, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #481 of 3,495
here: http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FIMHD078 back ontopic, is there any players that can import them in the original 24/100 or 24/96? :/
Quote:
Max is great for format/sample conversion.  Never heard of 24/100.  There is definitely a difference between 16/44 and 24/96.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #482 of 3,495

Quote:
here: http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FIMHD078 back ontopic, is there any players that can import them in the original 24/100 or 24/96? :/

the data on the disc is still at 16/44.1, unless it happens to be a HDCD, which from reading there it isnt. it might be mastered at 24/100, but it has to to be dithered to 16/44.1 for pressing to cd.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #484 of 3,495
im not too sure, what they've written on the cd is k2 HD CD. 24bit100khz mastering.. but thank you for your input anyway! :) 

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #485 of 3,495

Quote:
im not too sure, what they've written on the cd is k2 HD CD. 24bit100khz mastering.. but thank you for your input anyway! :) 

Yeah, you should be able to use any program to rip that cd.  The original mastering is 24/100 but the cd was pressed at 16/44.1 since it says it will play in any cd player.

Here's another link to K2 HD:

http://www.stereomojo.com/K2%20HD/K2HDReview.htm

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #486 of 3,495
thank you so much for the link! clarified everything for me. pixel count doesnt equate to better image quality though.. sensor size is of greater importance. :p

Quote:
Yeah, you should be able to use any program to rip that cd.  The original mastering is 24/100 but the cd was pressed at 16/44.1 since it says it will play in any cd player.

Here's another link to K2 HD:

http://www.stereomojo.com/K2%20HD/K2HDReview.htm

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #487 of 3,495

Quote:
thank you so much for the link! clarified everything for me. pixel count doesnt equate to better image quality though.. sensor size is of greater importance. :p

And people will also say more bits not equate better sound quality.  People say a lot of redbook cds sound better than the 24/96 versions just due to the way they were mastered.

This thread kind of derailed, so we should probably to get it back to the players themselves.  

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #490 of 3,495
That K2 HD thing sounds like a load of nonsense. CDs are 16/44.1 and can't be greater, otherwise they are not regular Redbook CDs, but HDCD, DVD-A or SACD, all of which require special players.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #491 of 3,495

Quote:
That K2 HD thing sounds like a load of nonsense. CDs are 16/44.1 and can't be greater, otherwise they are not regular Redbook CDs, but HDCD, DVD-A or SACD, all of which require special players.

Yup, no doubt.  Could be that the original recording may have been done at a higher rate, but obviously had to be down-sampled to Redbook format for production.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #492 of 3,495
I would guess from reading the info at the link, that they're employing another variation on the themes of filtering, dithering, and subtle gain riding.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #493 of 3,495
It's surprising how well mastered the K2 HD discs are. Regardless of what you think of the marketing hype, all the K2 HD disc's I've heard (and own)  are considerably better than the originals. The care and feeding of the digital workflow through the mastering process is a sonic treat. It doesn't sound like those of you that are knocking the K2 stuff have tried it.

EDIT: If anything, the K2 series proves that careful controls throughout the digital workflow can make a significant difference in the end production, even in the lowly 16/44.1 format. Sadly, it seems like you have to pay a premium to attain that level of quality. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #494 of 3,495

Quote:
It's surprising how well mastered the K2 HD discs are. Regardless of what you think of the marketing hype, all the K2 HD disc's I've heard (and own)  are considerably better than the originals. The care and feeding of the digital workflow through the mastering process is a sonic treat. It doesn't sound like those of you that are knocking the K2 stuff have tried it.

EDIT: If anything, the K2 series proves that careful controls throughout the digital workflow can make a significant difference in the end production, even in the lowly 16/44.1 format. Sadly, it seems like you have to pay a premium to attain that level of quality. 

Just to be clear, I wasn't knocking the K2 series, heck, those are my initials.  I was just trying to cut through some of the marketspeak.  I wish all record companies cared enough to properly master their works as K2 process seems to.  I don't think Currawong was bashing them either.

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #495 of 3,495
The way they made is sound with the marketing speak is if the CD itself has something greater. I googled it and found that it's a mastering technique. Fine if that's the case, but they can't say that the CD has greater bandwidth than what it does, that's just a flat-out lie.  If they sound better, great! Recording and mastering quality is most definitely important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back