Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Jun 18, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #3,406 of 3,495
Nope, nothing quite like Roon + Tidal I'm afraid. Beats Apple Music by far.

500$ is kind of hard to swallow, and just on the way to my wedding uh oh..

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #3,408 of 3,495
Oct 1, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #3,409 of 3,495
I'm building a list of Mac players. This is what I have so far. I'd love help. I do plan on adding columns to the sheet for features. If you want to help, let me know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AgcI0HzsPocyU9HM4iiPp2klVcHk624iefRft36GM10/edit?usp=sharing

Many of these players are no longer in active development, and I note that in the spreadsheet.

Amarra 4
Amarra Luxe
Amarra SQ+
Audirvana Plus
Clementine
Cog
deadbeef
Decibel
Ecoute
Elmedia Player
Fidelia
HQPlayer
iMusic
iTunes
JRiver Media Cetner
Kodi
Musique
Nightingale
Pine Player
Play
Plex
Pure Music
Quod Libet
Roon
Swinsian
Sylo
Tomahawk
VLC
Vox
Winamp

And possibly
Amarok
aTunes
Audion
Banshee
cmus
Guayadeque Music Player
Music Player Daemon

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #3,410 of 3,495
Thanks for that Joeexp.
All the music will be stored on a 500gb external solid state drive. I'm pretty sure that the setup will work but it would be a disaster to buy the Macbook and find that it cannot cope with pulling large audio files from an external drive rather than its own internal storage. So I just wondered if anyone had a similar setup and could give their opinion.
Final update - went ahead with the Mac Mojo Audirvana and external SSD. Very happy with the setup as a high quality portable unit while travelling for long periods. Some minor buffering issues now and then but worth putting up with for the sound quality.

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #3,411 of 3,495
Nobody - but you - seems to be needing a "folder structure"; Perhaps it isn't the software?
dt880smile.png

He is not alone. I also wish Audirvana or Roon offer navigation by folder. I often use it on my Auralic Aries !

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #3,412 of 3,495
What's the word on Plex for Mac? It appears to be to Direct Playing but tough to tell if it is manipulating the signal at all.

As a Mac, Plex and Tidal user. What is my best player option? I know Roon is the answer but that is too much $$$$$$$

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #3,413 of 3,495
Just a word of warning to anybody using VOX - DO NOT UPGRADE to version 3. It's now gone subscription based meaning you'll have to pay about 16 bucks a year just to access all those basic extra things such as the inbuilt EQ which were freely available in the previous version.

It'll still play music, but that's about it.

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3,414 of 3,495
Just a word of warning to anybody using VOX - DO NOT UPGRADE to version 3. It's now gone subscription based meaning you'll have to pay about 16 bucks a year just to access all those basic extra things such as the inbuilt EQ which were freely available in the previous version.

Good call. I made the mistake of installing Vox v3 and was surprised that those "Advanced" features are now subscription-based. I love using Vox's BS2B Preset or crossfeed, good thing they still have the older versions so I installed version v2.8.26 instead found at https://vox.rocks/mac-music-player/old-versions :)

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,415 of 3,495

Thanks for the heads up! The app auto updated on my iphone the other day and I was totally bummed. Any iOS alternatives?

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #3,416 of 3,495
Anyone try eqMac2 for system wide EQ on the Mac?

GitHub repo, for the extra nerdy

update: Easy install. I just tried it with FireFox and Pandora and it seems to work well.

second update: umm, I'm less impressed. Seems somewhat buggy. When it works, it seems to work well. Might be FireFox. Using it with Chrome seems to work better.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #3,417 of 3,495
Anyone try eqMac2 for system wide EQ on the Mac?

GitHub repo, for the extra nerdy

update: Easy install. I just tried it with FireFox and Pandora and it seems to work well.

second update: umm, I'm less impressed. Seems somewhat buggy. When it works, it seems to work well. Might be FireFox. Using it with Chrome seems to work better.

Thanks for this, been looking for a system-wide EQ for macOS. I just tried it on my macOS v10.13.2 with Spotify + DT880 and it rocks so far (and it's open-source!). :L3000:

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #3,419 of 3,495
Dec 17, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,420 of 3,495
Why would a free eq program need your access key to your computer?
As @cpauya said, it has to install a sound driver, so it needs the user to authenticate as an admin. The way this, and all system wide sound mods works it to install a sound driver. You please your iTunes (or whatever) into this new sound driver which funnels the sound into their program, then out to your desired sound out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back