Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by currawong, Feb 15, 2011.

1. turkayguner
    500$ is kind of hard to swallow, and just on the way to my wedding uh oh..

2. AppleheadMay
    The wedding/wife will be a whole lot more expensive ... ;P

3. turkayguner
    Yeah man I have already broke the bank..

4. Allanmarcus
    I'm building a list of Mac players. This is what I have so far. I'd love help. I do plan on adding columns to the sheet for features. If you want to help, let me know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AgcI0HzsPocyU9HM4iiPp2klVcHk624iefRft36GM10/edit?usp=sharing

Many of these players are no longer in active development, and I note that in the spreadsheet.

Amarra 4
    Amarra Luxe
    Amarra SQ+
    Audirvana Plus
    Clementine
    Cog
    deadbeef
    Decibel
    Ecoute
    Elmedia Player
    Fidelia
    HQPlayer
    iMusic
    iTunes
    JRiver Media Cetner
    Kodi
    Musique
    Nightingale
    Pine Player
    Play
    Plex
    Pure Music
    Quod Libet
    Roon
    Swinsian
    Sylo
    Tomahawk
    VLC
    Vox
    Winamp

And possibly
    Amarok
    aTunes
    Audion
    Banshee
    cmus
    Guayadeque Music Player
    Music Player Daemon

5. Norabati
    Final update - went ahead with the Mac Mojo Audirvana and external SSD. Very happy with the setup as a high quality portable unit while travelling for long periods. Some minor buffering issues now and then but worth putting up with for the sound quality.

6. bmichels
    He is not alone. I also wish Audirvana or Roon offer navigation by folder. I often use it on my Auralic Aries !

7. rage3324
    What's the word on Plex for Mac? It appears to be to Direct Playing but tough to tell if it is manipulating the signal at all.

As a Mac, Plex and Tidal user. What is my best player option? I know Roon is the answer but that is too much $$$$$$$

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  8. Slaphead
    Just a word of warning to anybody using VOX - DO NOT UPGRADE to version 3. It's now gone subscription based meaning you'll have to pay about 16 bucks a year just to access all those basic extra things such as the inbuilt EQ which were freely available in the previous version.

It'll still play music, but that's about it.