Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Sep 13, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #3,091 of 3,495
Dang - 2.2.2 broke something for me. My desktop Mac, running the latest and greatest, complains that it can no longer see my iPhone, and then there's no audio 
mad.gif

I'm trying various options, but 2.2.1 worked perfectly on my old and new Mac computers.

EDIT: It somehow muted the audio, though I'm using a Schiit DAC, which has no volume controls. By switching OS X to default to my external DAC, only then did I see that the audio was muted. But I've still never seen the iPhone error prior to the update.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #3,092 of 3,495
I've been getting random audio drop out from maybe 2.2 onwards just for a second, and not maxed out under 1.7Ghz i5 CPU or 4GB RAM.
Just now-and-again, but it was not there on previous releases.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #3,093 of 3,495
I updated my Audirvana 2.2.2 this evening and haven't noticed any sound dropouts or glitches.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #3,094 of 3,495
I need help with an Schiit Yggy USB problem that surfaced last night. The Setup:

Mac Mini late 2012 2.6 GHz i7 Quad core 16G RAM OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 pointing at iTunes library on a WD 2T USB 3 drive. Mini outputs via a Multi-Output Device consisting of Yggy (USB 3 Port 2) and Audioquest Dragonfly (USB 3 Port 1). Remaining 3 USB 3 Ports cover my cd drive, a NEC monitor, and a USB 3 10 Port switch.

Main System: Mini>Wyrd>Yggy>Ragnarok>KEF LS50 over Straightwire USB cables.
Backup System: Mini>Dragonfly>Bose Companion 3 over Straightwire USB cables.
Music Players: Roon/Pure Music integer/direct modes or basic iTunes. Native sample rates.
Yggy is on separate non-switched power and runs 24/7 (per Mike Moffat!). Wyrd/Rag are controlled by separate switch and are turned on only for use.

Everything has been fine until last night when I was auditioning the Trial version of Audirvana 2.2.1 in Hog/SysOptimized mode to see if was the better player.

It wouldn’t run because it said something was hogging the output in spite of Roon/Pure Music not running at the same time although they had been used earlier that night. I opened Midi Audio Devices, deselected the Multi-Output Device, selected only the Schiit Audio Gen 3 Device, restarted the Wyrd/Rag to resynch, then Audirvanna played fine over both sound systems.

I then went to A-B the sound by switching back to the other players, but nothing played over the Yggy using Roon/PM/iTunes but each played fine over the Dragonfly. Restarting Wyrd/Rag and switching between the various audio drivers was fruitless.

Thinking that Audirvana somehow now was hogging everything, I proceeded to delete every trace of it by trashing the application itself and all library preference files and caches I could discover after a fairly exhaustive Google search.

Still a NO GO. For some reason, the Mini’s USB Ports 1 and 2 are now corrupted in the following fashion:

iTunes/Pure Music/Roon play out ALL USB Ports through Audioquest Dragonfly>Bose Setup. ALL other devices work okay in ALL ports. Rag digital optical input from a Sonos works fine, so Rag digital is okay.

iTunes/Pure Music/Roon WILL NOT play out USB Port 1 and 2 through Yggy>Ragnarok Setup but WILL play out USB Port 3-5.

This does not change no matter how many times I have tried to repair disk permissions, rebooted the Mini, reset PRAM and the SMC/PMU, switched the Yggy and Wyrd/Rag on/off, and I even left the Yggy unplugged overnight to see if that would help, but nothing works.

I’ve run USB from my MacBook Pro over the same Straightwire in Port 2 used to feed Yggy, and it works fine. So cabling is okay.

When I switch Sample Rates in MIDI Audio Device , the Yggy clicks appropriately and switches lights letting me know that it is seeing that rate change request appropriately, but still no music plays out of Yggy on Port 1 or 2 but does on Port 3-5.

So in short, the Rag, Dragonfly/Bose, and all connected peripherals work fine on ALL ports. Yggy works on Ports 3-5 but no longer works on Ports 1 and 2. And this all developed after running Audirvana in best quality mode. Deleting every piece of Audirvana I could locate made no difference.

Schiit support recommended booting into Mavericks from an external clean install drive to see if that corrected the problem. I tried it and successfully recovered Ports 1-2 to feed Yggy. However rebooting back into the Mini confirmed that these 2 ports still have the same problem, and neither feed the Yggy but again work with everything else.

So this implies the Mini's software has become corrupted somehow by the Audirvana install.

It’s as if the ghost of Audirvana is somehow not releasing those 2 ports that it was originally connected to, but then why only to Yggy but not Dragonfly? Does this make any sense? Is there still a piece of Audirvana somewhere I’ve missed?

I’m hoping you can help me out beyond “Well, if it’s all working okay now, don’t F with it!!!” I REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of a clean installation at this time and hope to obtain a fairly simple fix if possible. Let me know if you need any more info for consideration.

Thanks, DSNORD

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #3,095 of 3,495

I need help with an Schiit Yggy USB problem that surfaced last night. The Setup:

Mac Mini late 2012 2.6 GHz i7 Quad core 16G RAM OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 pointing at iTunes library on a WD 2T USB 3 drive. Mini outputs via a Multi-Output Device consisting of Yggy (USB 3 Port 2) and Audioquest Dragonfly (USB 3 Port 1). Remaining 3 USB 3 Ports cover my cd drive, a NEC monitor, and a USB 3 10 Port switch.

Main System: Mini>Wyrd>Yggy>Ragnarok>KEF LS50 over Straightwire USB cables.
Backup System: Mini>Dragonfly>Bose Companion 3 over Straightwire USB cables.
Music Players: Roon/Pure Music integer/direct modes or basic iTunes. Native sample rates.
Yggy is on separate non-switched power and runs 24/7 (per Mike Moffat!). Wyrd/Rag are controlled by separate switch and are turned on only for use.

Everything has been fine until last night when I was auditioning the Trial version of Audirvana 2.2.1 in Hog/SysOptimized mode to see if was the better player.

It wouldn’t run because it said something was hogging the output in spite of Roon/Pure Music not running at the same time although they had been used earlier that night. I opened Midi Audio Devices, deselected the Multi-Output Device, selected only the Schiit Audio Gen 3 Device, restarted the Wyrd/Rag to resynch, then Audirvanna played fine over both sound systems.

I then went to A-B the sound by switching back to the other players, but nothing played over the Yggy using Roon/PM/iTunes but each played fine over the Dragonfly. Restarting Wyrd/Rag and switching between the various audio drivers was fruitless.

Thinking that Audirvana somehow now was hogging everything, I proceeded to delete every trace of it by trashing the application itself and all library preference files and caches I could discover after a fairly exhaustive Google search.

Still a NO GO. For some reason, the Mini’s USB Ports 1 and 2 are now corrupted in the following fashion:

iTunes/Pure Music/Roon play out ALL USB Ports through Audioquest Dragonfly>Bose Setup. ALL other devices work okay in ALL ports. Rag digital optical input from a Sonos works fine, so Rag digital is okay.

iTunes/Pure Music/Roon WILL NOT play out USB Port 1 and 2 through Yggy>Ragnarok Setup but WILL play out USB Port 3-5.

This does not change no matter how many times I have tried to repair disk permissions, rebooted the Mini, reset PRAM and the SMC/PMU, switched the Yggy and Wyrd/Rag on/off, and I even left the Yggy unplugged overnight to see if that would help, but nothing works.

I’ve run USB from my MacBook Pro over the same Straightwire in Port 2 used to feed Yggy, and it works fine. So cabling is okay.

When I switch Sample Rates in MIDI Audio Device , the Yggy clicks appropriately and switches lights letting me know that it is seeing that rate change request appropriately, but still no music plays out of Yggy on Port 1 or 2 but does on Port 3-5.

So in short, the Rag, Dragonfly/Bose, and all connected peripherals work fine on ALL ports. Yggy works on Ports 3-5 but no longer works on Ports 1 and 2. And this all developed after running Audirvana in best quality mode. Deleting every piece of Audirvana I could locate made no difference.

Schiit support recommended booting into Mavericks from an external clean install drive to see if that corrected the problem. I tried it and successfully recovered Ports 1-2 to feed Yggy. However rebooting back into the Mini confirmed that these 2 ports still have the same problem, and neither feed the Yggy but again work with everything else.

So this implies the Mini's software has become corrupted somehow by the Audirvana install.

It’s as if the ghost of Audirvana is somehow not releasing those 2 ports that it was originally connected to, but then why only to Yggy but not Dragonfly? Does this make any sense? Is there still a piece of Audirvana somewhere I’ve missed?

I’m hoping you can help me out beyond “Well, if it’s all working okay now, don’t F with it!!!” I REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of a clean installation at this time and hope to obtain a fairly simple fix if possible. Let me know if you need any more info for consideration.

Thanks, DSNORD

I had something vaguely similar happen (inaccessible device) which a "recovery install" fixed. I don't know enough about what a recovery install does to recommend it, but it's something you could consider. AFAIK it just recopies over the system files from the hidden recovery partition so it ought to be safe but, TBH, I don't really know the detail.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201314

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #3,096 of 3,495

I don't recommend a "recovery install" in this situation. This is not Windows '98! lol 
With OSX, a very stable unix based operating system, in most cases a reset in the "Audio MIDI Setup" settings is all that is needed. Sometimes a system reboot is helpful.

The only other option is that for some reason the USB interface the other end has crashed. So that would mean rebooting the Yggy in your case. 

Audirvana doesn't and cannot "destroy" a working OSX system.

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #3,097 of 3,495
As above, rebooting EVERYTHING DOES NOT WORK. Unplugging everything does not work either. Resetting everything in Audio Midi does not work. The only thing that corrects this is booting from a clean install of Mavericks from a separate hard drive. Booting back to the Mini just starts the problem over again. Posts on CA show others are getting weird dropouts from Audirvana, possibly similar to mine. Great if it works for you all, but it's a nonstarter for me.

DSNORD

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #3,098 of 3,495
I don't recommend a "recovery install" in this situation. This is not Windows '98! lol 
With OSX, a very stable unix based operating system, in most cases a reset in the "Audio MIDI Setup" settings is all that is needed. Sometimes a system reboot is helpful.

The only other option is that for some reason the USB interface the other end has crashed. So that would mean rebooting the Yggy in your case. 

Audirvana doesn't and cannot "destroy" a working OSX system.

That depends on what the SysOptimizer that he mentioned does. I'd reinstall the Audirvana trial and turn off that setting and see if it'll undo what it did. If you scoured the hard drive clearing out any app detritus you may need to enable it again first. You could also contact Audirvana support and see if they'd fill you in on what changes are made for that setting and if you can manually reverse them.

In this kind of situation it's sometimes a good idea to create a new, temporary user account and see if the problems persist. If not then you know it's a setting specific to your user directory. I'd do the reinstall and disabling thing first and if that doesn't work the new user to isolate where the fault is.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #3,099 of 3,495
Well, figured out the Audirvana 2.2.2 Port 1-2 issue I mentioned above when I was testing it to see if it was better sounding than Pure Music/Roon which are my 2 standing OSX players.

Audirvana was setting my Yggy (DAC) to MUTE for some reason when I switched out of it on Ports1-2 but was leaving the Dragonfly alone. Dope-o boy here failed to notice the frickin' little check mark in the mute box for the Master Channel all the way over on the right side of the Shiit Audio Gen 3 box in Audio Devices under Audio Midi Setup. Duh.

Unchecked it, and Ports 1-2 now output to Yggy appropriately. Why it affected only those 2 ports and not the other 3 for Yggy and yet leave the Dragonfly untouched on all 5 is still a mystery.

Others on CA are noticing the same Mute issue. Seems like a bug in the latest release since people report no such issue from earlier releases. Buyer beware.

Now that I've got it figured out, maybe I'll give it another shot. Big waste of about 5 hours though ripping my hair out trying to solve the problem only to find it to be something so simple yet unexpected and therefore overlooked. Left a really bad taste in my mouth especially since Pure Music and Roon both work flawlessly for me. The enemy of "GOOD" is definitely "BETTER."

LIVE AND LEARN.

DSNORD

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #3,100 of 3,495
Audirvana was setting my Yggy (DAC) to MUTE for some reason when I switched out of it on Ports1-2 but was leaving the Dragonfly alone. Dope-o boy here failed to notice the frickin' little check mark in the mute box for the Master Channel all the way over on the right side of the Shiit Audio Gen 3 box in Audio Devices under Audio Midi Setup. Duh.

Same issue as my post #3091 above. I am using a Schiit Gungnir Multibit. I would not think to look for Mute because there's no volume control.

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #3,102 of 3,495
So I've been in need of a new music player for a while now, i have audiovarna and its great. I need an alternative to iTunes that is as well organized for large libraries if not better. I like to be able to browse first through genre, then artist, then album, then song. Also I'm planning on switching from an iPhone to a sony soon so the ability to sync would be huge as well. Sound quality is important too but honestly takes second place to organization and syncing.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #3,103 of 3,495
So I've been in need of a new music player for a while now, i have audiovarna and its great. I need an alternative to iTunes that is as well organized for large libraries if not better. I like to be able to browse first through genre, then artist, then album, then song. Also I'm planning on switching from an iPhone to a sony soon so the ability to sync would be huge as well. Sound quality is important too but honestly takes second place to organization and syncing.

JRiver does all of this pretty much as delivered. Setting up Syncing to Handheld devices can take some effort, but it's very flexible and even includes transcoding if necessary. The default Genres view drills down from Genre, to Artist, to Album. In the Albums view, there's a pane below that shows the songs from the album you are clicked on. Jriver's Views can be modified in many ways and you can also add your own with any number of categories. Several display types are available including Panes. JRMC works with extremely large libraries; it's been tested with something like 500,000 tracks and performs well with that number.

JRMC isn't the easiest player to use the first time you touch it. But it's the most flexible and the most powerful as far as I can tell. The "new" version, MC21, now includes Image support, and Video support, so you can catalog and display your photos and videos also. It's pretty impressive.

Brian.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #3,104 of 3,495
Pure Music sits on top of iTunes and works well for me with that interface. Have Roon which is awesome and sounds just a bit better to me than PM in my system. Got A+ 2.2 working best mode last night. No better than Roon, and not as detailed on some very familiar piano music in my collection during the 2 hours I compared them. I like Roon's interface better for my collection and way I listen/browse. Any of the 3 sound way better than straight iTunes to me.

DSNORD

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #3,105 of 3,495
A+ 2.2.4 and El Capitan, so far no problems.
Never saw any El Capitan mention in the release notes for 2.2.4 anyway.

LOL ,scratch that !
When playing through MB Air speakers just before plugging into my desktop speaker set on 3.5" (I have no DAC/AMP right now...running off Cirrus internal DAC
frown.gif
)  the pitch slows down 50%. Like sliding a Technics deck right down to the slowest BPM.

OK, who is going to say they can hear 'more air between instruments' on El Capitan vs Yosemite ?
(How was that possible before, users reporting that the OS affected sound when A+ is like a separate OS on top of OSX ?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back