Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Nov 19, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #2,476 of 3,495
Just join Damien's forum and list the bugs.

If A+ had a dedicated thread on here maybe he would have some input on Head-fi on it
Good idea. Is Damien's forum on Facebook? I've got his email too. Thanks

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,477 of 3,495
Lets start a dedicated thread, no reason not too as there's one over at C-Audiophile, Damien posts regularly over there so why not here as well 
wink_face.gif

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #2,478 of 3,495
  Just join Damien's forum and list the bugs.

If A+ had a dedicated thread on here maybe he would have some input on Head-fi on it

Did that -- no response. Surely they have to realize that this bad word of mouth can kill a product.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #2,479 of 3,495
Hey guys. So many pages. I'm just wondering if perhaps any of you could throw out a few of the most popular players. Is there any one or two that are standouts? Maybe one that can be used it both Mac and Windows? Probably to much to ask. I used MediaMonkey after I was so sick of iTunes that I just had to rebel. I bought a lifetime license but the more I used it, the more I began to not like it. I have since began using my Mac more but I still use both regularly. If I had to pick one though, it would have to be Mac. I use Windows for work and gaming and Mac for everything else. I have been using iTunes though ever since I started with Mac because I wasn't aware of any alternatives. Now I'm starting to get a little bit more serious about my music and looking for a better alternative. Suggestions welcomed.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #2,481 of 3,495
  Now I'm starting to get a little bit more serious about my music and looking for a better alternative. Suggestions welcomed.

I think many of us started where you are now: sick of typical OTS products and looking for better.  You might want to start with Bitperfect, which is an add-on for iTunes, to see if you notice a difference in sound quality. If you're playing lossless compressed (FLAC, ALAC) or uncompressed files, Bitperfect might be that next step you're looking for.  It's $10, available in the Apple app store, and doesn't have as many buggy issues as A+ and obviously won't make you take out a second mortgage like Amara.  Personally, I started with Bitperfect and still use it at work, but plunked down the extra cash for A+ at home for more serious listening.  A+ is great but it can be buggy, and it also zaps battery power fast on my Macbook Pro.

Spotify--can't really answer, don't use it.  Appears that the Premium version is streaming at 320kbps, which isn't knuckle-dragging bad sound quality, but it isn't nearly what you'd get from a CD ripped into FLAC or ALAC.  

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2,482 of 3,495
spotify is not a player it  is a specialty streaming app only and cannot play your files.

as for players that work on both platforms, I do know of some, but they will require licenses for both platforms, so you will pay twice.  Best bet for both platforms is JRiver.

My pick for Mac is Decibel.  My pick for PC is Foobar.

Enjoy!

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2,484 of 3,495

If you subscribe you get better quality streaming. And if you use something like Sonic Studio Amarra SQ (on OS X)  it actually sounds pretty decent.
Depending on your DAC obviously.
wink_face.gif

+1 on Amarra SQ. Helpful with Netflix and Spotify.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,485 of 3,495
Listening to Tidal this morning, sounds pretty good

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2,486 of 3,495
Nov 22, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #2,487 of 3,495
Are you recommending that I try Tidal this evening?

I think so..

Its certainly worth a trial of it, the SQ is not A+ but its the content that got me hooked

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #2,489 of 3,495
Just sat down to listen to some music and was advised that a new version of Audirvana+ 2.0.6 was available.

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #2,490 of 3,495
Hey guys. So many pages. I'm just wondering if perhaps any of you could throw out a few of the most popular players. Is there any one or two that are standouts? Maybe one that can be used it both Mac and Windows? Probably to much to ask. I used MediaMonkey after I was so sick of iTunes that I just had to rebel. I bought a lifetime license but the more I used it, the more I began to not like it. I have since began using my Mac more but I still use both regularly. If I had to pick one though, it would have to be Mac. I use Windows for work and gaming and Mac for everything else. I have been using iTunes though ever since I started with Mac because I wasn't aware of any alternatives. Now I'm starting to get a little bit more serious about my music and looking for a better alternative. Suggestions welcomed.

I wonder why there seems to be no love for Pure Music here. I started with Bitperfect and tried the PM free trial about 3 years ago, loved it for it's SQ and ability to download and play flac files on my iMac. It has been trouble free on my Mac and worked just fine with several dacs (currently Woo WA7). It uses itunes library which is another plus for accessing your music. I would recommend it for mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back