Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
May 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #2,105 of 3,495
  What's wrong with it? I'm personally on 1.5.10 although did try 1.5.12 for about a week without any glitch.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's A+ or Mavericks or my XDA-2. I'm sure it's a combination of the three. About once a day, I'll load up some music in A+ and it will just freeze. I force close, check connections (audio from iTunes is fine), reopen A+ and try again. Same thing. Usually the only fix is a full restart of the computer. Drives me mad and I can't seem to find a culprit.

May 7, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,106 of 3,495

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's A+ or Mavericks or my XDA-2. I'm sure it's a combination of the three. About once a day, I'll load up some music in A+ and it will just freeze. I force close, check connections (audio from iTunes is fine), reopen A+ and try again. Same thing. Usually the only fix is a full restart of the computer. Drives me mad and I can't seem to find a culprit.

Try uninstalling it or get 1.5.10 and see if that fixes anything.

May 7, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2,107 of 3,495
An update for the JRiver iPad app became available. More eye-candy.

May 7, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,109 of 3,495
  Does anyone know the difference between integer mode 1 + 2 on Audirvana + ?
Which one do you prefer if you can use it ?

Yeah I played with it for awhile.  1 seems to have a wider soundstage, little bit more treble emphasis.  2 I liked for the bass control and the warmth but the soundstage was more compressed.  I'm sure this is going to be different depending on your dac.  

I've tried A+ and Amarra - Amarra sounds way better to me, not as wide a soundstage but the overall balance is levels better than A+.  Unfortunately the design sucks.  Like really sucks.   Not just the graphic design but the interface design.  I feel like I'm on an IBM from 1980 using it.  They seriously need an interface designer.  Sound is great though, really nice.

May 7, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,110 of 3,495
  Yeah I played with it for awhile.  1 seems to have a wider soundstage, little bit more treble emphasis.  2 I liked for the bass control and the warmth but the soundstage was more compressed.  I'm sure this is going to be different depending on your dac.  

I've tried A+ and Amarra - Amarra sounds way better to me, not as wide a soundstage but the overall balance is levels better than A+.  Unfortunately the design sucks.  Like really sucks.   Not just the graphic design but the interface design.  I feel like I'm on an IBM from 1980 using it.  They seriously need an interface designer.  Sound is great though, really nice.

Thanks. I hated amarra interface though A+ is a really cheesy GUI too. Must be so easy to provide sleeker skins, but he doesn't.

May 8, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #2,111 of 3,495

EXACTLY mirrors my own experience over the past few days.  Amarra is the slowest, buggiest, most awkward piece of software I have ever used on a Mac.  Unfortunately, it also sounds just that little bit better than the superb Audirvana Plus  :frowning2:

I also agree with your assessment of the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 Integer.

May 8, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2,112 of 3,495
For those using Audirvana+ can you share with us how much memory you allocate to it under Audio Volume Settings and what is the total memory on your Mac? Thanks

May 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #2,114 of 3,495
For those using Audirvana+ can you share with us how much memory you allocate to it under Audio Volume Settings and what is the total memory on your Mac? Thanks

For A+ ..... 512 MB of 2 GB with no up-sampling and it runs fine. Does more memory just enable more tracks loaded into memory or is there another advantage to allotting more memory ?
I had thought of getting a 4/8GB MBA soon.

May 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #2,115 of 3,495
I've got my 16GB RAM allocated 50/50. My Mac mini won't consume more than 6GB for the system though, no matter what I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back