Mac and PC, Antivirus Software Necessary?
Feb 26, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #31 of 87
Come'on this isn't a debate on platforms. No insults should be thrown around, whether implied or direct.

I say no to both platforms. With a hardware firewall and not using IE on a PC I was good based on the workmanship aspect of my computer. I only got a virus/spyware one time when I knew I shouldn't have opened this EXE i downloaded. If you use common sense, it's not easy to get a virus. And when you do, you can just use system restore to go back in time.

On a mac, no. Especially because it's a smaller platform. But it's also built off of unix and as far as permissions, limited automatic ability, etc, it's an inherently more secure operating system off the bat.

I've worked as a tech in both PC stores and an Apple store. Never in a year and a half did I see a Mac come in with a virus. I heard about one once. It was a wacky virus too.

I believe in the small virus programs like AVG or Nod32. They take up small amount of resources and they seem to be decent.

Tyler

EDIT
Quote:

Originally Posted by dorito
That another good question, its seems this is more directed at PC users. How often do you format your drive and reload your Operating System?

I would do it 6-12 months. This would keep the OS in tip-top condition. I had all my stuff on a separate partition so I could just wipe the C:\ and reinstall. It made it a very easy operation, about 1 1/2 hours.

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #32 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That another good question, its seems this is more directed at PC users. How often do you format your drive and reload your Operating System?

Personally only when I first set the machine up. My work development machine is 3yrs+ on the same install. I have other machines running 4-5yrs on the same install. I don't know exactly to be honest because its not something I do, or anyone one I know either. Its really only hobbists and people mucking around who do that.

As theres no need to re-format a drive to re-install windows, its a good indication of someone who doesn't know what they are doing, when you hear this. Besides if you've have a good backup routine, an image of your drive using ghost etc, you can re-image a machine in 10 mins or so. If thats something you want to waste time doing.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally only when I first set the machine up. My work development machine is 3yrs+ on the same install. I have other machines running 4-5yrs on the same install. I don't know exactly to be honest because its not something I do, or anyone one I know either. Its really only hobbists and people mucking around who do that.

As theres no need to re-format a drive to re-install windows, its a good indication of someone who doesn't know what they are doing, when you hear this. Besides if you've have a good backup routine, an image of your drive using ghost etc, you can re-image a machine in 10 mins or so. If thats something you want to waste time doing.

A virus can hide in the boot sector, so reformatting a drive can be necessary. Also I agree that one install is enough if ou take care of your machine.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #34 of 87
One interesting tactic I have heard of is to use a VM within your OS (be it Mac or Windows). Do a clean install, all your settings/apps, AV signatures, etc. Take a snapshot.

Then use that VM to browse the web - most VM programs, especially VMWare, work in a "sandbox" to help prevent the VM from infecting the host machine. When you are done browsing the web, just revert back to the "clean" snapshot.

Once a week or so, revert to the snapshot, update AV signatures, and save the snapshot again as a clean, updated one.

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #35 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylernol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Come'on this isn't a debate on platforms.

I've worked as a tech in both PC stores and an Apple store. Never in a year and a half did I see a Mac come in with a virus. I heard about one once.

I believe in the small virus programs like AVG or Nod32.

Hmmm.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As theres no need to re-format a drive to re-install windows, its a good indication of someone who doesn't know what they are doing, when you hear this.

An awful lot of people I consider know a great deal about desktop support would argue that comment is a sign of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #36 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Basics list:

Don't run IE
Don't run ActiveX
Don't run Outlook
Don't run Office Macros
Don't download from unsolicited e-mails
Don't view images in unsolicited e-mails
Don't install anything not from a known good source
Don't install anything of indeterminate origin
Keep Windows up to date
Keep rest of software up to date
Use a firewall
Pay attention to extensions before double clicking
Pay attention to file sizes before double clicking
Only let others use crippled guest accounts
On Vista, enable UAC

The list goes on, but it's mostly common sense when using a computer.

LOL, that's like my list of things to do/not do to ensure minimal viruses.

To be fair, I do keep an up to date AVG install on my computer, but I don't set it to constantly check for viruses. I haven't kept an AV software constantly active since 2003, which was the last time I had a bad virus on my computer (I don't remember the name, but it was the one that automatically told the computer to shut down if it installed itself). I usually run a full scan maybe ever 4-6 months, just to make sure the system is clean. And, as I stated, I haven't had a virus since 2003 (I run a PC with XP SP2, completely up to date on Windows Updates).

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #37 of 87
One often overlooked aspect of computer security is: don't run programs you don't need. For people using Windows, run msconfig and check what stuff you have in startup. If you don't need Quicktime, Realplayer, MSN or suchlike, why have them running at startup? They just present potential portals of invasion: their vulnerability becomes yours.

The more computer savvy may want to take note of the program Autoruns.

Windows (and some Linux distros like Redhat) boot with lot of system services. Only keep what you need and disable those that you don't.

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #38 of 87
I run OS X and Fedora at home. Zero problems with either.

My office runs XP. No comment, as I don't want to start a OS war.
wink.gif
But I'm damn happy I don't maintain the office network, based on talking to those who do.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #39 of 87
without any fanboy esque posting... i must say as a mac user and a unix user, in the increasingly networked village we work and live in, AV software is a must.

as a mac user, we don't have problems with them nor have very good options for AV software but... we cannot just let virus fester on our macs that inherently we download etc. probably many of us have virus on our computers in one way or another. naturally it does not affect us, but if we take our computer without checking it for virus, we can connect to a windows network, share files and cause havoc for the it department.

we have to take responsibility even though our software is not yet or very rarely affected by virus. it is just not fair to our windows brothers and sisters. often we choose osx or more likely linux/unix for political reasons and a superiority complex or just as it is cheaper to run, but we really need to accept the fact that we can spread the evil love without ourselves being affected.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #40 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A virus can hide in the boot sector, so reformatting a drive can be necessary. Also I agree that one install is enough if ou take care of your machine.

I haven't seen one of those on a machine in 10yrs or more. With CMOS protection on modern machines I just don't see them. Even when people bring me their unprotected machines to rejuvinate I don't see root viruses. Even if you did find them they are easy to remove.

Return of the boot-sector virus - News - heise Security UK

Dorito's comment was about how often you need to re-format/re-install the OS. The inference is that you have to do it frequently on a Windows machine. If that was the case you must get Boot Sector Viruses frequently. Thats not my experience is it yours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm.
wink.gif

An awful lot of people I consider know a great deal about desktop support would argue that comment is a sign of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.
wink.gif

Other than a dig a me, your comment says nothing. Explain why.

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #41 of 87
Anyone who thinks AV is not neccessary on a computer is naive.

Case in point - I am a power user and never go to websites where I would contract a virus. I needed to download motherboard drivers from Asus' website, and it turns out that their website had gotten hacked and infected with a virus. If I didn't have Nod32 Installed, I would have gotten infected also.

On a Mac, I would say that right now it is not 100% neccessary, but it will be soon as they continue to gain marketshare. It is certainly considerate though as while the viruses may not work on your Mac, as soon as you share the infected file over the network, you've just infected multiple people.

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #43 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....On a Mac, I would say that right now it is not 100% neccessary, but it will be soon as they continue to gain marketshare. It is certainly considerate though as while the viruses may not work on your Mac, as soon as you share the infected file over the network, you've just infected multiple people.

IMO Marketshare won't change the way Unix/OS X works. Its unlikely ever to be as easy to infect as a Windows machine regardless of marketshare. But who knows.

Infecting Windows machines, its a valid issue, and is a good reason to use AV on a Mac. IMO.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #44 of 87
I run windows, and run a free AV program and windows defender(as it came with vista).
Between them thay use about 1 -3 % of 1 of the 4 cores processor power. It seems silly not to. But I must say, the biggest improvement was upgrading to Vista, with IE7 built in, and also using firefox. I think the biggest problem PC's have is drive by installs of adware. I spent altogether too long cleaning that off a couple of friends machines last year. I moved them both to Firefox, and it's not happened since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back