Mac and PC, Antivirus Software Necessary?
Feb 25, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #16 of 87
Yes, antivirus software is necessary, on a windows box. So I voted yes, because in a YES/NO question, if you can answer yes, it's true.

No, antivirus software is not necessary on a mac. It's an unnecessary load on the cpu.

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a PC user. I have never gotten a virus, and I run one simple low-resource AV program. I wonder why its always the Mac users who have trouble with PC's? Are they incompetent with PC's because they are Mac users or did they switch to Mac after having so many problems with PC's because they were inherently incompetent with them?

I am a mac user. I have never gotten a virus, and I run no AV programs. I have trouble with PCs because windows is awful. I guess I am incompetent with PCs because I don't use them, similar to my being an incompetent pilot because I don't fly planes. I suppose it's not inherent because i've never heard of an inherently competent windows user and I guess I don't even know what that means. Don't you just learn how to use them?

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #18 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Basics list:

Don't run IE
Don't run ActiveX
Don't run Outlook
Don't run Office Macros
Don't download from unsolicited e-mails
Don't view images in unsolicited e-mails
Don't install anything not from a known good source
Don't install anything of indeterminate origin
Keep Windows up to date
Keep rest of software up to date
Use a firewall
Pay attention to extensions before double clicking
Pay attention to file sizes before double clicking
Only let others use crippled guest accounts
On Vista, enable UAC

The list goes on, but it's mostly common sense when using a computer.

You would rather put yourself through all that paranoia rather than install something that is cheap or free?

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #19 of 87
Quote:

I am a PC user. I have never gotten a virus, and I run one simple low-resource AV program. I wonder why its always the Mac users who have trouble with PC's? Are they incompetent with PC's because they are Mac users or did they switch to Mac after having so many problems with PC's because they were inherently incompetent with them?

Err I don't think I even understand your foundation of the question. Many more PC users have troubles with PCs than Mac users.
wink.gif
Nor should Windows (which is the issue more than the PC) inherently be the default. I think long term Mac and Windows users are pretty naive about the other platform, though Mac users are more likely to be less under the hood people, but be required to know about Windows for work, etc. I'm typing this on my ThinkPad at an anti-virus company I'm contracting at. I have many more years on the Windows platform than OS X or Linux. I believe in anti-virus on Windows. No matter what they encourage at work, I don't have one installed on my Mac at home. Even the sales pitch to buy OS X anti-virus software is focused on protecting yourself from passing along virii to your Windows friends. Hell last I checked (admittedly a couple years ago) over 90% of all Mac exploits were thru MS Office.
wink.gif

So Windows unless you're very careful: Yes
OS X or Unix/Linux: No

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #20 of 87
I run unbuntu 8.04 alpha5, windows xp, and osx and I have never gotten a virus. Do I get a cookie.

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #21 of 87
18 months ago I switched to Mac, I run no anti virus software, no problems at all. On a PC, yes you should run av and some form of anti spy/malware software. I earn my living fixing busted Windows boxes due to viruses and spyware, and business is good!

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #22 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run unbuntu 8.04 alpha5, windows xp, and osx and I have never gotten a virus. Do I get a cookie.

Let us know how your doing when you 45. You never said if your using some AV software or not?

<~~Grab a Dorito instead,,,LOL

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #23 of 87
Lets put it this way...is there anything negative about having an AV running?? I use AVG and it doesn't really bother at me all..and it is free (limited functionality though) but as long as I don't click stupid links (which I don't...most of the time) it shouldn't be a problem. But better safe than sorry!

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #24 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xephyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets put it this way...is there anything negative about having an AV running??

Just speed and resources.
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 87
AVG and zonelabs on mine, i pick the little buggers up all the time,

i didnt have a set on for a week and something got in, when i play games i turn them off tho to gain performance, laptops have a job playing crysis!

edt when i go back to xp itll just be zonelabs suite

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #27 of 87
I do all that _and_ run AV, spybot, adaware, and am still not sure I'm paranoid enough. Spend 2 days one time cleaning up a bug on my wife's PC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would rather put yourself through all that paranoia rather than install something that is cheap or free?

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #29 of 87
Quote:

...or did they switch to Mac after having so many problems with PC's because they were inherently incompetent with them?

I'll fully admit to this. I switched to Mac because I'm a software user. It's the home console of PCs for me and I like my computers to just do their thing.

When I was on PC (which I also have far more experience with), antivirus software was a must for me. Never once on the Mac.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #30 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That another good question, its seems this is more directed at PC users. How often do you format your drive and reload your Operating System?

very rarely cause its such a hassle to install all the programs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back