Mac and PC, Antivirus Software Necessary?
Mar 12, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #77 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Basics list:
The list goes on, but it's mostly common sense when using a computer.

I consider disabling unnecessary services and start-up programs just as essential. I've been running multiple windows machines since its beginning and never had a virus, but I'm looking into some light antivirus software for everyday use (not during high loads) now that my machine has extra overhead. Quadcore FTW
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #80 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simple answer is: If you use a PC it is always necessary. If you use a Mac it is not necessary. The End
smily_headphones1.gif

You mean if you use Windows or a Unix based OS.

Since You might have Unix on your PC and running windows on your mac.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #81 of 87
Mar 19, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #82 of 87
just because you are not getting viruses doesn't mean you are not giving them to other people.

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #83 of 87
I've never had a single virus using Windows and therefore never seen the need for AV software. Use a firewall and be smart about what you download- you should be fine.

Mar 21, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #84 of 87
I have a PC running Ubuntu. I know it isn't too safe to run without antivirus even then, but I don't have one and nothing goes wrong.
Windows without antivirus is good only if you feel OK reformatting hard disk once a month.

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #85 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just because you are not getting viruses doesn't mean you are not giving them to other people.

True!
But then those who are vulnerable to the virus should protect themselves. Its not our task to protect other peoples computer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back