M50s overrated?
May 17, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #196 of 991

Quote:
They probably sound more clear to you simply because they have more treble and less bass, which is valid of course, but it doesn't mean they actually have more clarity, it is just a different sound signature.  I wouldn't want any more treble than the M50 has. 

True that the M50s are very warm cans.

Unfortunately, the HD668Bs are noticeably clearer in the mid-range. In the upper frequencies, both do have the same amount of detail retrieval. WHICH IS DISAPPOINTING considering that the M50s are $150...

Treble-wise, the HD668B sharper yes, but it's justifiable since the M50s highs are very warm to begin with. Therefore, the HD668B aren't as harsh as you might think :)

May 17, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #198 of 991
Quote:
 It's not static hiss... it's this hiss you may detect on low impedance headphones.

On my system and with my sources, I'm not detecting any hiss whatsoever out of my M50. Dead silent. Given than the input impedance of these is 38 ohm, I'm using only amps with a rated output impedance << 38 ohm (in my case 5 or less).  You might have a problem of impedance mismatch. This might explain a number of the features you are associating with the M50 sound signature.

May 17, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #199 of 991

Quote:
Quote:

On my system and with my sources, I'm not detecting any hiss whatsoever out of my M50. Dead silent. Given than the input impedance of these is 38 ohm, I'm using only amps with a rated output impedance << 38 ohm (in my case 5 or less).  You might have a problem of impedance mismatch. This might explain a number of the features you are associating with the M50 sound signature.

It's hard to explain it. Without music playing I'm also detecting dead silence, but with music on... you know what just disregard everything I said on ghostly hisses.

But still, the HD668B still have an edge over the M50s IMO. Refer to review. The "M50s are way cheaper" arguement is now invalid too...

May 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #200 of 991

Quote:

It's hard to explain it. Without music playing I'm also detecting dead silence, but with music on... you know what just disregard everything I said on ghostly hisses.

But still, the HD668B still have an edge over the M50s IMO. Refer to review. The "M50s are way cheaper" arguement is now invalid too...

If you hear a hiss only with music on, then it's because the headphones are revealing enough to show the source background static from the recording process, not a bad thing at all.

I will agree though that the M50's mids are lacking in amount, which could probably contribute to lacking in midrange detail. Other than that I will disagree with your statement that one's treble is "better" than the other, trebles are what give headphones their unique sound signature, some people like sharp sparkly trebles, others like dull rolled off trebles, M50's trebles are right in the middle - effortless yet still very good extension.

May 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #201 of 991
It's not hard to look at Joker's impressions of the 668B and M50 in comparison.  I think some get infatuated w/ a new sound signature that suits them better.  Plus if you are hearing more recording hiss from the M50 than the 668B it means the latter are less resolving even though you don't like that.  For example some things make the DBA-02 more enjoyable to listen to than the IERM but the IERM is simply more resolving.  That's $150 vs. $1000.  That does not translate into 'better'.

May 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #202 of 991
Hey would anyone be willing to buy the HD668B's for 35 dollars? (its actually $29, but with shipping to individuals it would cost around 32 + a little cash for the reseller)
I found a dealer and he said he could only sell in lots of 12 for around $360.00 (includes shipping to your house in USA)
I'm not sure if i will buy the lot and resell on headfi because I have never done this before, but if anyone is interested in buying a lot of 12 and reselling it, I can provide you with information.

I'm thinking that is a pretty good deal to the prices that are out right now.

May 18, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #203 of 991

Quote:
It's not hard to look at Joker's impressions of the 668B and M50 in comparison.  I think some get infatuated w/ a new sound signature that suits them better.  Plus if you are hearing more recording hiss from the M50 than the 668B it means the latter are less resolving even though you don't like that.  For example some things make the DBA-02 more enjoyable to listen to than the IERM but the IERM is simply more resolving.  That's $150 vs. $1000.  That does not translate into 'better'.

Yes, I agree.  There's a strong correlation with people thinking headphones with more treble and less bass have more clarity, so much so that it seems to usually be the sound signature, and not things like transient speed, separation, imaging, distortion, etc that make for a sound that is actually more clear. 

That's not to say it is bad to prefer one sig over the other.  I just often see people saying things like "these are better than those because they have more detail and clarity" and really all it is is that they prefer the sound signature of one over the other, which is highly subjective and does not make one better than the other- whereas technical improvements like those mentioned above are fairly universally praised. 

May 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #205 of 991

Quote:
Yes, I agree.  There's a strong correlation with people thinking headphones with more treble and less bass have more clarity, so much so that it seems to usually be the sound signature, and not things like transient speed, separation, imaging, distortion, etc that make for a sound that is actually more clear. 

That's not to say it is bad to prefer one sig over the other.  I just often see people saying things like "these are better than those because they have more detail and clarity" and really all it is is that they prefer the sound signature of one over the other, which is highly subjective and does not make one better than the other- whereas technical improvements like those mentioned above are fairly universally praised. 

I feel that more treble makes more detail. It sounds more clear to me. I know it may not be accurate but its what i prefer.

May 18, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #206 of 991

Quote:
I feel that more treble makes more detail. 

I feel that more treble makes more detail apparent.

Corrected.  
tongue_smile.gif
  Of course that does nothing for lower mid or bass detail but I'm sure there are others that never knew that existed.  
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #207 of 991

Quote:
I feel that more treble makes more detail apparent.

Corrected.  
tongue_smile.gif
  Of course that does nothing for lower mid or bass detail but I'm sure there are others that never knew that existed.  
biggrin.gif

I think i might be a treble head. If that is the right term.

May 18, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #208 of 991
That's a sure way and cheap way to achieve clarity, which Bose is all about.  Once it's done properly, you don't have to deal with ear piercing treble to get clarity.

Quote:

I feel that more treble makes more detail. It sounds more clear to me. I know it may not be accurate but its what i prefer.

May 18, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #210 of 991

Quote:
So, if the M50's are "overrated" 

What would be the best choice in the $100-200 price range it is in?

shure srh840 for neutrality or shure srh750dj for bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back