M50s overrated?
Apr 20, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #166 of 991
Quote:
He can, yes, but it also spells irony because comparing something like the 100 dollar M50s to something three times their price could potentially lead to underrating, and I've seen many examples of it-- not saying this guy is underrating the M50s.  Talking big about the M50s without having any experience with higher end headphones is one thing, saying they're overrated by comparing them to higher end headphones can inherently be the exact same thing!

The M50s are overhyped, not overrated.  If they were overrated they'd not fair well against other cans in their category.

Sorry, a HD428 gets my vote over the M50.

Thing is, with the M50 you actually get sturdy cable and more than decent plugs. The Sony MDR V6 is the same story in that regard and I appreciate that but for the sound signature I would more easily get along with a plasticky and cheaply built - shame on you Sennheiser! - HD428. That is it for me and these days the faithful HD428 found its replacements in the K181, K518 (Modified!) and PX200 II.   

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #167 of 991
Apr 24, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #169 of 991
Try a K181 on 'Large Club', I love AKG for that little feature and it works too...

The Beats, you could just as well go for a MDR V500 or V700 from the DJ-series if you want bass quantity alone. A HD280 can be just as bassy too. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #170 of 991
Speaking of bass, I just heard the best quality and most natural low end reproduction I've ever heard in a headphone yesterday.  Too bad they stoppped making it years ago.

If anyone wants solid, deep, impactful bass I recommend the FA011 too.  Unless you are treble averse. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #171 of 991

Quote:
Yea the M50s are not the best choice if someone is looking for bass on the beats studio level while retaining higher audio quality. I'd go with the Denon D1100 in that case.

I have the M50 , what is the difference with D1100 ?
Are you saying the D1100 is the same but with better/more (sub)bass ?
Hard to believe...

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #174 of 991
Over rated?

They have a quality of sound which does not sound inferior in comparison to the HD25 1 II & there a lower price .

HD25's are light and portable and have replaceable parts.

For home , studio or DJ use the m50's sound is of a "quality" standard within a affordable price .

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #176 of 991
I do prefer the Pro900 to the M50 and D1100, but I don't think you can quantify it as being 4x better or anything like that based on price. The law of diminishing returns comes into play and the gains are less as the gear gets more expensive.

I just tend to favour a coloured signature with enhanced treble and bass which the Pro900/D7000 satisfies and the M50 and D1100 don't. (although the D1100 is very bassy, on par with the XB500 almost)

May 15, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #177 of 991
For the past few days I have tried to read everything I can on the M50s on this forum before I make a purchase, I am a newb but I don't mind spending the extra money to buy an even better set of head phones.

The price point is great on the M50s, and ive read alot about them, though I haven't experienced them first hand.

And ive heard the B&W P5s and was blown away but the question im poised with is do I go for the M50s or P5s.....the m50s have had a good reception on this forum which im starting to wonder could be due to the good price point and good sound quality, but the B&W's are from B&W.

Would I just be paying for the B&W brand name if I was to go for the P5's or do the M50s really excel sound quality wise over the P5s?

May 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #178 of 991
I would pick the P5... but it's up to you whether it's worth the extra money or not.

May 16, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #179 of 991

Quote:
For the past few days I have tried to read everything I can on the M50s on this forum before I make a purchase, I am a newb but I don't mind spending the extra money to buy an even better set of head phones.

The price point is great on the M50s, and ive read alot about them, though I haven't experienced them first hand.

And ive heard the B&W P5s and was blown away but the question im poised with is do I go for the M50s or P5s.....the m50s have had a good reception on this forum which im starting to wonder could be due to the good price point and good sound quality, but the B&W's are from B&W.

Would I just be paying for the B&W brand name if I was to go for the P5's or do the M50s really excel sound quality wise over the P5s?

DISCLAIMER
This is just my opinion so everyone else's mileage may vary

I've never heard the M50's but I'm an X P5 owner. My personal view is if you're going to spend that kind of money there's better out there. I personally didn't like the colored sound and it just didn't work with my music genres very well. The music from the band Epica for example sounded terrible (highly congested sounding) on my P5's and the congested sound on some other music tracks was quite annoying. My experience is if your music is on the mellow side they work well but if your music is on the busier more aggressive sounding side they don't work well. Recently one of our forum mods (Jude) did a video concerning the Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii vs the Beyerdynamic DT 1350. My suggestion is start researching those as a starting point maybe even start a thread asking members who own these cans to give you their impressions and what kind of music they shine with. I've personally decided to order the DT1350 for the simple reason they seem interesting to me due to some of the comments Jude made in the video. Something else you should know is the Sennheisers are 100 dollars cheaper if you go with the non Adidas model.  As for the M50's, like I said before I haven't heard them so I can't comment on them. Considering there's enough M50 owners on this thread I'm sure you'll get the info you want if you're patient and ask more specific questions.

@ everyone else on the thread
So did I pass proper recommendation protocol?

May 16, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #180 of 991

Quote:
I would pick the P5... but it's up to you whether it's worth the extra money or not.

I thought you hated the P5 when you listened to it
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back