M50s overrated?
Dec 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #331 of 991

Quote:
Weren't you the one that made a topic about why they aren't considered basshead cans?  You even said their b ass was so powerful that it shook your head (which I never personally have had, you must listen at insanely loud levels)  But the bass is definitely there, and especially at lower volumes.  In fact, bass can be easier to hear at lower volumes because your ear drum is loose.  You sure do change your mind a lot.

That was at ear piercing volumes.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #332 of 991

Quote:

M50s are definitely not a basshead can, but they have more bass then the HD 25 1 iis based on FR graphs on headroom. Unless you're referring to the dip at 70-80hz the m50s has. And other than that the FR graphs actually look really similar until about 15khz where the M50s deviates upwards (by then though hearing the change in volume would be hard)

Even down to the sine wave response at 500 and 50hz they look similar. (Though I believe the M50s are slightly slower but have a smaller peak off the perfect square sine wave at 50hz compared to the HD 25s)

I would go out on a limb to say the major differences people hear might be due to fit, circumaural vs supraural, pads and simply bias. Then again I haven't heard the HD 25-iis

Please don't bass this off of graphs. The hd 25 1 ii needs a really good seal to get it's full potential. I can tell you right now there is a lot more bass then what you see in graphs.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #333 of 991

Quote:
Weren't you the one that made a topic about why they aren't considered basshead cans?  You even said their b ass was so powerful that it shook your head (which I never personally have had, you must listen at insanely loud levels)  But the bass is definitely there, and especially at lower volumes.  In fact, bass can be easier to hear at lower volumes because your ear drum is loose.  You sure do change your mind a lot.

Right on the spot!

bcasey25raptor :
"I have some audio technica ath m50s and i have to say the bass is very powerful and stellar. It's so powerful it shakes the entire headset and you actually feel the bass instead of just hearing it. I quite enjoy that feeling. Why then are these considered rather analytical and not bassy. They sound at least as bassy as the beats pros (bad comparison i know) except they are substantially better sounding. I always thought bassheads wanted to feel the bass not just hear it. By comparison i find the shure srh750 to be rather flat and bassless. Much less impact."

It's a clear case of adapting to the sound of both ATH-M50 and Shure SRH840 and not having a clue about it :D

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #334 of 991

Quote:
Right on the spot!

bcasey25raptor :
"I have some audio technica ath m50s and i have to say the bass is very powerful and stellar. It's so powerful it shakes the entire headset and you actually feel the bass instead of just hearing it. I quite enjoy that feeling. Why then are these considered rather analytical and not bassy. They sound at least as bassy as the beats pros (bad comparison i know) except they are substantially better sounding. I always thought bassheads wanted to feel the bass not just hear it. By comparison i find the shure srh750 to be rather flat and bassless. Much less impact."

It's a clear case of adapting to the sound of both ATH-M50 and Shure SRH840 and not having a clue about it :D

Number 1 they were amped with a fiio e7 at 60 volume (don't do that you will kill your ears) It wasn't accurate bass it was boomy bass. When i said i don't hear any bass until full volume i was referring with my iphone. At max i hear/feel the impact. Anything lower then max and the headphones sound muffled to me. It's also probably the music i listen to but you get the point.

You do realize you can use that as a description of why this hobby is bogus. If the reason i prefer the headphones i do is because i have adapted to them (quite possible) then how is it any different about you actually preferring the m50s over the many cans you have tried. I'm sorry but i stand by my opinion on the m50s. They are not worth more then $120 at max to me. They are harsh and the vocals sound fake (sorry but they are). My number 1 priority when getting headphones is good treble that is not harsh followed by clear forward midrange. Bass is unimportant to me and i just need enough to hear the bass guitar and drums.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #335 of 991

Quote:
I don't hear the bass on those until i put my volume at max. It's also slow and boomy bass. The sennheiser hd 25 1 ii has very speedy aggressive bass.

And what the hell do you mean by aggressive bass? Is it distorting, or is there just more of it? I haven't heard HD25 myself, and I struggle to understand your descriptions time and time again.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #336 of 991
Yes, exactly what songs are you listening to that you don't get the feeling of any bass from the M50s at lower volumes from the iPhone?  Might you be mistaking bass in general for just midbass kick?  I've heard lots say the HD-25 has a huge, artificial midbass spike, while the M50-- bloated a bit all around-- reaches down low into the sub-bass and still remains strong.  While it's true the M50 gains some impact from anything more powerful than an iPhone, that shouldn't take away from its bass.  I usually listen around 50% with my iPhone when I had the M50s, and there was plenty of bass, sometimes too much bass.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #337 of 991

Quote:
And what the hell do you mean by aggressive bass? Is it distorting, or is there just more of it? I haven't heard HD25 myself, and I struggle to understand your descriptions time and time again.

The bass is quick. I don't know what there isn't to understand. They are the ideal sound signature for heavy metal. You playing in a rock band i find it hard to believe you would hate them.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #339 of 991

Quote:
Graphs are done to a perfect seal......

Watch tylls review on the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii. What he says on it echos with my opinion as well. Ask anyone who has tried them and most will say they are bassy.

Also ask yourself if the measurements were taken with the pleather or velour pads. The sound is different depending which pad you use. The velour takes away most of the bass and muffles the highs.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #340 of 991
Fanboys?  Very funny.  I guess that might've been true if I still had my M50s and listened to them every day, but sadly that's just not the case.  They've long been gone.

I only question your original post about not being able to hear the bass on them, which is very strange.  You might be trying to say you don't feel the bass, but you should definitely be hearing a good amount of bass being put out, as it's pretty agreed upon that they're bassy cans.  They even output more bass than the D2000, even though it's less impactful.

If you're saying they have less of a midbass hump than the HD-25, it's all well and good, but that shouldn't take anything away from the fact that they're bassy cans, and bass is just more than 100hz kickdrums.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #341 of 991

Quote:
Fanboys?  Very funny.  I guess that might've been true if I still had my M50s and listened to them every day, but sadly that's just not the case.  They've long been gone.

I only question your original post about not being able to hear the bass on them, which is very strange.  You might be trying to say you don't feel the bass, but you should definitely be hearing a good amount of bass being put out, as it's pretty agreed upon that they're bassy cans.  They even output more bass than the D2000, even though it's less impactful.

If you're saying they have less of a midbass hump than the HD-25, it's all well and good, but that shouldn't take anything away from the fact that they're bassy cans, and bass is just more than 100hz kickdrums.

Yes but with my music bass guitar and kick drums is the only bass in it. (heavy metal)

play this

On my sennheiser hd 25 1 ii it is way more impactful and rumbles. m50s isn't as impactful. It also doesn't rumble as much.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #342 of 991
I love how any headphone is bassy, as long as there's some kind of bass present. The M50s maybe "bassy" compared to something with no bass at all, but unless you EQ the hell out of them, you'll be lucky to get much bass at all. As far as I'm concerned, I've gotten more bass quantity out of HD 280s, than M50s.

This thread is just plain ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if half the people in here who own M50s, own counterfeits.

The M50s are monitor headphones, they're very neutral just like the HD 280s. There's a reason both are using in voice recording.

They're overrated, because they get recommended left and right like the HD 555s from people who are coming from Skull Candy.

"THE SOUNDSTAGE IS SO BIG!!!!" The most OVERSTATED statement about the M50s ever.

"BASS HEAD CANS!!!" Again, just plain ridiculous.

People on head-fi who actually know what they're talking about, rarely ever post in the common threads. So you get your one headphone owners taking the lead and misinforming. Just look at "bcasey25raptor". Owns the most common and over recommended headphones in the book.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #343 of 991

Quote:
I love how any headphone is bassy, as long as there's some kind of bass present. The M50s maybe "bassy" compared to something with no bass at all, but unless you EQ the hell out of them, you'll be lucky to get much bass at all. As far as I'm concerned, I've gotten more bass quantity out of HD 280s, than M50s.

This thread is just plain ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if half the people in here who own M50s, own counterfeits.

The M50s are monitor headphones, they're very neutral just like the HD 280s. There's a reason both are using in voice recording.

They're overrated, because they get recommended left and right like the HD 555s from people who are coming from Skull Candy.

"THE SOUNDSTAGE IS SO BIG!!!!" The most OVERSTATED statement about the M50s ever.

"BASS HEAD CANS!!!" Again, just plain ridiculous.

People on head-fi who actually know what they're talking about, rarely ever post in the common threads. So you get your one headphone owners taking the lead and misinforming. Just look at "bcasey25raptor". Owns the most common and over recommended headphones in the book.

Coming from someone with sennheiser hd 280 i don't know how to reply to this comment.

Why do i own highly recommended headphones? Well because there is a large amount of people praising them so i am more certain they are good quality vs some obscure headphones.

I doubt i will ever buy hifiman, beyerdynamic, or krk headphones. It's not that they aren't good i just don't see enough reviews to draw any conclusions.

My m50s could possibly be fake but i doubt it. I bought them used from a head-fier so they would be the only ones who could tell me.

If you just said the sennheiser hd 280 was a good headphone that counteracts everything i have read about them.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #344 of 991
No, they're actually bassy compared to something with neutral bass.  Compare them to something like an HD800 or HD600.  If the HD-25 has more bass than the M50 that just means it has more bass than an already bass can--fast bass or not, it's still an exaggerated bass.  It's not universally a bad thing, but it just means it's an exaggerated bass, nothing more.  The M50s are also far from neutral.  Not only is the bass exaggerated, but the mids are a bit recessed and highs a tad shrill and metallic.  All I've heard from the M50 is that their soundstage is among one of the worst for full-sized cans, which also parallels my personal experience with them as well.  I don't know who you've heard that said they had a big soundstage.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #345 of 991

Quote:
No, they're actually bassy compared to something with neutral bass.  Compare them to something like an HD800 or HD600.  If the HD-25 has more bass than the M50 that just means it has more bass than an already bass can--fast bass or not, it's still an exaggerated bass.  It's not universally a bad thing, but it just means it's an exaggerated bass, nothing more.  The M50s are also far from neutral.  Not only is the bass exaggerated, but the mids are a bit recessed and highs a tad shrill and metallic.  All I've heard from the M50 is that their soundstage is among one of the worst for full-sized cans, which also parallels my personal experience with them as well.  I don't know who you've heard that said they had a big soundstage.

That is my impressions. The highs are shrill/metallic. I said that and people gave me hell. And yes the sound stage is horrible compared to my shure srh840 which for a closed can has a pretty decent sound stage ime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back