M50 vs D2000: bass slam and midrange edition
Mar 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

codeninja

100+ Head-Fier
I've read through many previous threads on the comparison between the two phones.  One thing that I couldn't get clear idea out of was which one has more bass slam and less recessed midrange, although those two may be mutually exclusive to each other features.  Speaking of bass, I'm not talking about the amount of it, but the impact of it.

BTW any suggestion for a reputable place that I can order D2000 less than typical $350? Regardless of the answer I get out of this thread, I don't intend to spend 3 times the money on D2000...

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 13
My take. (My ears, my rig).
D2000 will give you more quantity of bass. M50 (after break-in) will give you tighter, leaner bass... although abundant. I can't judge the 'slam' factor as I no longer have the D2000, but when I did have both, I found the M50 had more controlled bass, quicker and with that might have more impact. The D2000 to me was too loose and slow to have a hard edge. But again, that's just from memory and I didn't own the D2k long enough for full break-in.

The D2k did outshine the M50 in a couple other ways though... I found them slightly brighter and 'clearer' than the M50 (which can sound a bit murky at times). Also the D2k has a much wider soundstage... the M50 is almost claustrophobic in its presentation. Midrange was a bit more transparent and clean in the D2k... unless you were listening to something with big bass and trebble, then the U shape FR would push the mids back.

Hope that helped.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
BTW any suggestion for a reputable place that I can order D2000 less than typical $350? Regardless of the answer I get out of this thread, I don't intend to spend 3 times the money on D2000...

I was about to give you an easy answer about where to find them for under $250, but... I can't find them for that anywhere.  I'm kind of shocked, honestly.  When I got mine a year and a half ago, I got them for about $220 after shipping.  It seems that either word has gotten out about how nice they are, or stock has gotten low after being so heavily discounted for so long.  Dunno.

I would recommend waiting for one of those high sales times (ie: Black Friday, etc) when everything gets discounted, then try to find them for under $250.  They're well worth it if you have a nice, neutral amp.  Also be sure to the the J$ (JMoney) pads for them as well, as they make a big difference in comfort and sound quality without wrecking your warranty.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:

Yes -- right here on the Head-Fi FS forums, if you don't mind buying used.  Great place to buy and sell headphones.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 13
I've had both. To my ears, the M50 had much more bass bloat and less mids than my D2000 do. IMO, the D2000 were an improvement over the M50s in every way. This will come down to personal preference and gear, of course.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 13
My old black box M50 had very bloated bass and fairly recessed mids and it never improved much, even with an amp. Most seem to have the newer version and I haven't heard it for more than ten minutes. I had my M50 for probably a year.

I always hated the D2000 but I gave it another chance with a desktop amp. Somehow based on my experience, it doesn't like to be un-amped and even seems to not sound the same with a portable amp. At least not with my Total Airhead. I actually have a post back in early 2010 where I complained it had bloated bass and recessed mids. This was when I didn't have a desktop amp, but just an airhead.

I got another pair in fall of 2010 and loved it. When desktop amped it sounded almost quite neutral at times! The bass  was quite well controlled. I prefer the bass on the HFI-680 and DT-990.

I prefer the D2000 by far over the M50, but I would never use it without an amp. Unamped I'd take the M50 any day.

I actually prefer the mids on the D2000 and had no problems with them. To my ears they didn't sound recessed. Maybe a tad. It didn't seem to effect vocals that much and that was a huge plus for me.

I actually sold my D2000 and kept the K601. Turns out I exchanged that for something else months later. Figures! That's how it usually is!

EDIT: Wow, I just realized we haven't heard the D2000 and M50 mentioned on here in a looong time. Wonder why. Maybe the price increases. No way the D2000 is worth $349!

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
EDIT: Wow, I just realized we haven't heard the D2000 and M50 mentioned on here in a looong time. Wonder why. Maybe the price increases. No way the D2000 is worth $349!

I haven't heard any other headphones in the $350 price range, but I'd definitely pay that for the D2000s. I absolutely love these.

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 13
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=853

Does it mean that HD650 has more bass than D2000, but less than M50??? According to Wiki male vocal is from 85 to 180hz whereas female is from 165 to 255hz. In both cases, M50 has a higher response. M50 dips around 300-400hz, but other than that, it seems to have higher midrange response than D2000. Is this consistent with your own findings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back