m50 to d7000 upgrade?
Aug 14, 2012 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

SpaceBeatZ

New Head-Fier
The m50 has been my first higher end headphone and has really left my mouth hanging open on a number of occasion. I've been reading through the forums and it seems that the denon d7000 will suite my need for aggressive dubstep, electro and drum and bass perfectly.

I just need to ask: Is it really worth the money to jump from the m50 to the d7000? Is there a big enough improvement?

Edit: I will be using it straight out of my iPhone 4 most of the time. I am also thinking of upgrading to the C421 much later.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 20
I bought the m50 a number of years ago and was always turned off by its mid-bass hump.  The d7000 is a phenomenal headphone with a small de-emphasis of the mids.  The rendition of bass on the d7000 is awesome.  As sound is highly subjective it is always hard to recommend something... but to me these phones are in a different league.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 20
I just got the D5000 a couple weeks ago as an upgrape from my Crossfade LP. I think you would be more than satisfied with the D5000. I've listened to all genres with them, just to test it out and they're phenomenal with dubstep. I can't speak for the D7000 but I've been told that the jump from 5000 to 7000 isn't really worth it if it's an upgrade from something like the M50. Plus I'm not sure if you can still get the D7000 brand new if that means anything to you. Amazon still has some D5000 in stock. If I were you, I would just go for the D5000. Just an fyi, I'm not an expert nor an experienced audiophile so keep that in mind. Good luck!

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 20
I just got the D5000 a couple weeks ago as an upgrape from my Crossfade LP. I think you would be more than satisfied with the D5000. I've listened to all genres with them, just to test it out and they're phenomenal with dubstep. I can't speak for the D7000 but I've been told that the jump from 5000 to 7000 isn't really worth it if it's an upgrade from something like the M50. Plus I'm not sure if you can still get the D7000 brand new if that means anything to you. Amazon still has some D5000 in stock. If I were you, I would just go for the D5000. Just an fyi, I'm not an expert nor an experienced audiophile so keep that in mind. Good luck!

To me the opinion of a music fanatic means more than the opinion of an audiophile...

I saw the D5000 earlier and found my mouse pointer hovering near the add to cart button...
I will seriously consider what has been said.
Thanks

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 20

To me the opinion of a music fanatic means more than the opinion of an audiophile...

I saw the D5000 earlier and found my mouse pointer hovering near the add to cart button...
Thanks

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
Thanks

That's exactly what I am. It's hard to listen to music with earbuds or my old headphones now, they are just so far away from the quality of my Denons. I've been told they are somewhat fragile though, so I got a Pelican 1400 case for transportation. It would fit the D7000 too. Just something else to consider.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
The m50 has been my first higher end headphone and has really left my mouth hanging open on a number of occasion. I've been reading through the forums and it seems that the denon d7000 will suite my need for aggressive dubstep, electro and drum and bass perfectly.
I just need to ask: Is it really worth the money to jump from the m50 to the d7000? Is there a big enough improvement?

I don't understand why everyone in the thread above me has been avidly recommending them to you without more knowledge of your wants and needs.

I assume you will be using them at home since they're not very portable cans. If so, what source? If a computer, laptop or desktop? Do you have a decent soundcard on the system? Do you know how to check your soundcard and to determine the quality? If not, have you factored in the cost of a decent DAC? And then an amp so you're not directly plugged in to the DAC? Do you already have an amp? Do you know why you need these things to get the best sound of the 7000s you can?

People should NOT be blindly recommending things to you with the limited information you've given so far. It's foolish.

There may be a big enough improvement for some - I highly doubt the purchase is worth the money at this time in your audio journey. Going from budget fi to mid/hi-fi in a single purchase, will your ears be able to tell the difference? Will you be able to appreciate or even differentiate the difference between the 7000s and other cans in the same range? Odds are no.

Headphones are subject to the law of diminishing returns. $1000 will not sound 5x better than $200 headphones. If the M50s sound great to you now, that's wonderful. Continue enjoying them and slowly expanding your knowledge of audio, finding out your likes and dislikes with difference sounds before taking the plunge into more expensive headphones. As is, it's like trading your 16 year old daughter's 1999 Nissan Altima for a new Chevy Camaro. Totally unnecessary at this point in time.   

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 20
In my opinion the D7000 would be severely underpowered if you put it straight out of the iphone. I think it needs an amp for sure. Without an amp I think Vmoda Crossfade m80s would be a good fit.

I find this very strange because of the low impedance and also because of what other people have said. But an amp/dac would obviously improve the sound no argument there

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 20
In my opinion the D7000 would be severely underpowered if you put it straight out of the iphone. I think it needs an amp for sure. Without an amp I think Vmoda Crossfade m80s would be a good fit.

I find this very strange because of the low impedance and also because of what other people have said. But an amp/dac would obviously improve the sound no argument there.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 20
Currently own the D5000's (which are regarded as a less refined D7000).  They sound fine straight from my ipod/iphone/denon receiver/fiio e7/e9/ burson 160d.....I have not found them to be very picky at all.  Just a fun sounding headphone.  I would not worry about having to amp them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back