m50 price jump?
May 2, 2011 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Gintoki

New Head-Fier
I've read tons of threads on these headphones and everyone spoke of getting them for 94 bucks here and there. I visited the websites they mentioned and they all listed the m50's at 159$, which is an incredible price jump. The cheapest place I've found m50's at the moment is amazon for 123$, even cheaper than the cheapest(new) on ebay. Isn't stuff supposed to drop in price over time? I'm guessing it has something to do with the big hype on these cans. But still, I'm a little pissed off I'm getting screwed on the price. It's not like these things are vintage or anything. I've never seen this happen before. Any ideas?

May 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 32

Quote:
I've read tons of threads on these headphones and everyone spoke of getting them for 94 bucks here and there. I visited the websites they mentioned and they all listed the m50's at 159$, which is an incredible price jump. The cheapest place I've found m50's at the moment is amazon for 123$, even cheaper than the cheapest(new) on ebay. Isn't stuff supposed to drop in price over time? I'm guessing it has something to do with the big hype on these cans. But still, I'm a little pissed off I'm getting screwed on the price. It's not like these things are vintage or anything. I've never seen this happen before. Any ideas?

all prices on online websites fluxuates, it rises and drops

dont worry, it will drop soon, but probably not to 94$

but imo is worth the 123$

May 2, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 32

Quote:
all prices on online websites fluxuates, it rises and drops

dont worry, it will drop soon, but probably not to 94$

but imo is worth the 123$

It's all depend on demand and supply . It's was $119.00 @ B & H but now $159.00 and in correlation with the price jump, Test Freaks score for the M 50 jumps from a 9 points something to a perfect 10. 
wink.gif

May 2, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 32
Maybe its the season or something. I've noticed some headphones I've looked at have started going up.

Example:
A seller on Amazon selling HA-RX700's was selling them for $35 when I first starting looking at them. Amazon was $38 or something.
Saturday I bought them when they were $33.88. Sunday they were $33.08. Today they are $40.39 and not fulfilled by Amazon.
Amazon has them for $33.54, but its just a matter of time 'till they go up again.

Use camelcamelcamel to check price changes on Amazon.

BTW, $94 for M50s is rare and you have to be watching them. Please be aware that prices are very different depending on the country. People buy used M50s, too.
You can normally find them for $110 USD, but $123 is still pretty good.

May 2, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 32
the way head fi and other audiophile sites are spiking demand for m50(s) these recent months it seems highly unlikely retailers will lower the prices anymore they have been from their $200 msrp ($150 realistically). regardless, many people that buy at relatively high prices, 150 usd, and even msrp seem to feel like their purchase was worth it.

May 2, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 32
Weird, I just got a pair from B&H a maybe 2 weeks ago for ~$115. I'm sending them back, but still.

May 2, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 32
Lol. From around November 2010 to March 2011, you were able to get them for $109 free shipping at a few websites.. Idk, maybe you should wait a little longer... I mean who knows? Maybe it was the Japan Earth Quake that caused the prices to rise? idk?

May 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
I didn't find them comfortable. Not enough padding on the headband. I should have known it'd be hard to find something as comfortable as Beyers.

I disagree that the headband doesn't have enough padding as I found no physical comfortability issues apart from some longer than average listening sessions, but NOTHING is as comfortable as Beyers. :)

May 2, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 32
You all should be bad that you don't play in the Grado arena.  Unless you're buying used, you're pretty much assured of having to pay MSRP for your new headphones.

May 3, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
You all should be bad that you don't play in the Grado arena.  Unless you're buying used, you're pretty much assured of having to pay MSRP for your new headphones.

I've never paid close to MSRP for new Beyers, but maybe that's just timing. I don't need any open-backed cans, but I'm sure I'll give in to my Grado curiosity eventually..

May 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 32
Price has always been like this in europe for M50, concider yourself lucky if you could buy it for $100ish. I think I paid 140~145 EUR or so for mine but didn't keep it for long anyway.

May 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
A seller on Amazon selling HA-RX700's was selling them for $35 when I first starting looking at them. Amazon was $38 or something.
Saturday I bought them when they were $33.88. Sunday they were $33.08. Today they are $40.39 and not fulfilled by Amazon.

Much like the prices of the M50 (and others like the Shure 440/840), that seem to be bounce around almost daily like they're the stock market, the prices of the HA-RX700s have been shifting around - mostly downward - since they came back in stock everywhere a few weeks back.

Amazon and Buy.com have been having a mini price war on them.    Bought a pair last week at the $33.88 price when I thought that was going to be rock-bottom, but I was proven wrong 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back