M50 - My new favorite gaming headphone.
Sep 10, 2010 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
I simply cannot praise this headphone enough. Excellent, excellent headphone, in all regards.

Out of all the headphones I have (see signature) the M50 is my overall favorite. I received it a few days ago, and I simply have too many good things to say about it. It sounds "better" than my AD700 overall, while improving the bass response by significantly. I also really like the fact it isolates noise, and enables me to keep my music to myself. It's just a top quality product that I am delighted to have.

I am a fan of my Pro Golds as well, and even though they sound a bit better for music (more thick) I still prefer my M50 in a lot of instances. I'm more of a full sized fan than an IEM one, so I sometimes prefer my full sized to my Golds, even though the Golds are my "best" headphone.

But, I decided to try them with Bad Company 2 today, and I was literally blown away. These sound nothing like my AD700, in fact, they sound a whole lot better. I was immersed in the game like I never have been before, and was delighted by the fact I forgot I was wearing headphones. These are simply amazing gaming headphones people, absolutely amazing!

Well, sorry I couldn't contain my excitement. But now I'm off to go play some more, I just had to quickly run up and post this!

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 18
I have to ask, is any of this experience related to the bass and the closed form from the headphones contributing to the "wow" factor?

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 18
I personally find the AD700 to be superior though I don't like phones that overemphasize bass nor do I like the way closed cans sound in general (DT250 aside).  Id say the AD700 is on a higher level SQ wise though guess its sound balance may not be to your liking.

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 18
Everything seems to sound different through these compared to the AD700. There are sounds that I haven't heard before.

The bass and closed factor may be what is doing it for me. Everything sounds so much more realistic through these, and I really am surprised by how much new things I can hear. The bass is a key role in FPS, as it lets you hear the rumbling explosions. But, not only is the bass improved with the M50, but like I mentioned, there are more things I can hear.

Although, the AD700 still has it on these for comfort. Man, those headphones are really something when it comes to "disappearing" off your head! I've done a 5hr stretch with the AD700, and with the M50, I started getting slightly irritated by the headband after about an 1hr.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Everything seems to sound different through these compared to the AD700. There are sounds that I haven't heard before.

The bass and closed factor may be what is doing it for me. Everything sounds so much more realistic through these, and I really am surprised by how much new things I can hear. The bass is a key role in FPS, as it lets you hear the rumbling explosions. But, not only is the bass improved with the M50, but like I mentioned, there are more things I can hear.

Although, the AD700 still has it on these for comfort. Man, those headphones are really something when it comes to "disappearing" off your head! I've done a 5hr stretch with the AD700, and with the M50, I started getting slightly irritated by the headband after about an 1hr.

Have you tried playing with m50 in cod4 or mw2?

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 18
No I have not, as I do not own those games. I have played them many times, but I don't like them.  I am not a CoD fan, at all. Battlefield is pretty much better in every aspect.

Anyway, enough of my game preferences. I'm guessing ALL shooters will sound good through these. Although, Battlefield may have better audio than CoD, so I can't be for sure.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 18
Glad you like them. I am thinking about picking a pair up even though I have some DT770-80. All I can say is the bass does make a big difference in modern FPS(MW,MW2,BC2). They make it FEEL more realistic. I am not sure they are the "supreme" FPS headphone though. There are some games go off of every little sound being heard(footsteps) and a booming bass sometimes covers that.

I am glad you are enjoying them and makes me want to pick up a pair just for fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
All I can say is the bass does make a big difference in modern FPS(MW,MW2,BC2). They make it FEEL more realistic. I am not sure they are the "supreme" FPS headphone though. There are some games go off of every little sound being heard(footsteps) and a booming bass sometimes covers that.

Agreed. Bass does help a lot with FPS. My AD700 didn't do explosions and low sounds justice, in fact, they were non-existent. But even with the M50, stuff just sounded different. Guns, environment noises, footsteps, vehicles -- they all sounded different through the M50. To sum up, it sounded like a major improvement. Although the M50 does "sound better" for games IMO, AD700's comfort is unrivaled in terms of how long you can wear it.

Yeah, of course it's not the "supreme" FPS headphone. But I honestly would love to hear the "supreme" headphone. It would probably be one of the top-tier headphones, hooked up to an amp and then your TV. Too much of a pain, I just like to plug and play. Honestly though, it's hard to imagine how much improvement you could get using a "better" headphone than the M50. Yes, it sounds that good.

Quote:
I am glad you are enjoying them and makes me want to pick up a pair just for fun.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

*Enjoyed* them. Unfortunately, I had to take them off every 1/2 hour round as my ears would get a bit sweaty and my head would be fatigued by the headband. This is not a long haul headphone! So, because of that, I did return them and will be buying the A700 instead. I really hope it is the best of both worlds -- SQ of the M50, and comfort of the AD700. THAT, would be a "supreme" headphone!

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 18
I have just started gaming with my M50's and Halo Reach was amazing.
I love that I am in my own world when I wear them.
Oh and I have no problem wearing them for more than an hour or so, before needing a break and I need a break by then anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
I have just started gaming with my M50's and Halo Reach was amazing.
I love that I am in my own world when I wear them.
Oh and I have no problem wearing them for more than an hour or so, before needing a break and I need a break by then anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />" width="" />" width="" />

Yeah, I love that too! When you put them on, and you are "IN" the FPS world. You forget you are only playing a game! That's what really impressed about them, besides the excellent SQ.

Great! If your "game breaks" are at the same time as your "headphone breaks", then you have nothing to worry about. Hope you enjoy them with Reach, as I did with Bad Company 2.

(My problem is, my game break would be every 3-5 hours, and my headphone break with the M50 would be every 1/2 hour. Not good. With AD700, I could just keep it on the entire time).

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 18
Just came across this thread. I was debating between the M50 and JVC HA-RX700. I went with the RX700 due to them being close to the M50 but cheaper. When I first started reading your thread I was thinking... I should have got the M50s! Then after I read your conclusion I felt better that I went with the RX700s. 

If you ever have a chance to try the RX700s would love to see your impressions vs the M50 and the A700.

Daniel

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 18
I had the RX700 (stock) and IMO the M50 is quite a bit better, though the RX700 is not bad for its price. RX700 sounds a bit muffled here and there as expected from the price, resulting in a less realistic sound than the M50.

I really like the M50's fairly balanced sound, though not all M50s are equal. One of the M50s I listened to has slightly forward mids, and the other has slightly recessed mids ('meh'). 

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 18
What equipment are you plugging these headphones into? 

Quote:
I had the RX700 (stock) and IMO the M50 is quite a bit better, though the RX700 is not bad for its price. RX700 sounds a bit muffled here and there as expected from the price, resulting in a less realistic sound than the M50.

I really like the M50's fairly balanced sound, though not all M50s are equal. One of the M50s I listened to has slightly forward mids, and the other has slightly recessed mids ('meh'). 

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 18
Yep played a bit of Vanquished on PS3 last night with my new M50 through the Astro mixamp. Absolute immersion with great impact. The deep bass of the M50 was jaw shatteringly good while maintaining separation and fine detail. I think the praise the M50 gets on this site is a bit much at times but when you take value into account they're pretty hard to go past. Bonus if you're a gamer.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #15 of 18
The ad700 definitely has better soundstage, its good for games that require pinpoint positioning. But many times I prefer having better bass impact for both games and movies. It sounds more enjoyable to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back