M50? Is there anything better for the same price?
Nov 10, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #16 of 21

This is based on MY opinion. I base my comments and suggestions on headphones i've tried and use for a long period of time, almost never based on what I read or heard.
So yes, the k240 is the absolute best to ME. Better then the AD700, HD-555 and others i've tried. I've used the k240 for gaming and it's a good match.
IMO an open headphone is an absolute must for games and movies. If you need isolation you're missing out on a lot of things. I've found most movies are terrible with closed headphones.
Quote:
I kind of hope you're joking... but I get the feeling you're not... lol. So here goes.

Not everyone will prefer the K240S for movies and gaming; therefore it is not the absolute best. But if you'd care to prove otherwise... lots of luck with that. 

A little background on gaming (I don't game with headphones BTW). Two considerations that often are not sorted out very well in discussions about modern FPS gaming and headphones are positional audio and the "boom factor". Different headphones, other equipment, and software provide differences in these two considerations - and people have different preferences and priorities for what they want to hear when gaming. Another consideration is for whether sound leaking out may bother others near by and / or whether external sounds may degrade the gaming experience. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
No, I myself would not. It has a somewhat poor soundstage and an open or semi-open headphone is better for movies and games. It may be acceptable, but that's about it. Despite the M50 being better overall for music, even the HD-555 would be a better match for games and movies.

Absolute best headphone for movies and games under $100 is the k240 Studio. Someone prove me wrong! I'm not sure really why so many people pick closed headphones for gaming..doesn't make sense to me.

Since the D2000 has a good soundstage and imaging, I wonder how that'd be for gaming and movies. It'd be interesting to test out!

You are right.. I just got the M50 today, and it sounds really dull on movies and games. But it sounds absolutely amazing on music! Now I don't know if I should return it or get another headphone for movies and games. BTW, the M50's volume sounds to be really low? I have to turn the computer volume to max, just to get the m50 to a decent level. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #18 of 21

That's strange. BTW did you get the pair that came in a white box? Strangely when I tried them recently I was shocked that I had to max the volume on my Ipod Touch for them! I only need to do that with my k240 Studio, so it's a bit strange. I never had to do this with my old pair that came with a black box with the flap. I rarely used my M50 unamped, but I was surprised at how much lower the volume was on the white box version.

I still feel like open or semi-open headphones are best for movies and games. Not worth getting something else if they do the job. Maybe if you watch a ton of movies and play a lot of games. k240 Studio are the best all-around good headphone fore music, movies and games, but they're harder to drive usually.

To get more volume you would probably need an amp or a different source. Maybe try a different soundcard if you have one around.
Quote:

You are right.. I just got the M50 today, and it sounds really dull on movies and games. But it sounds absolutely amazing on music! Now I don't know if I should return it or get another headphone for movies and games. BTW, the M50's volume sounds to be really low? I have to turn the computer volume to max, just to get the m50 to a decent volume. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 21
Whats also important is what is the SNR of the device your using and what is the output power of it if you know and what type of audio source is it. 

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #20 of 21
Yeah, mine came with the white box. It says 2010 too. For some reason, Amazon sent me the coiled cable version instead of the straight one. =( Anyways, I just tried it on my phone and two Zune players. I have to max it or at least 90% to get a decent volume!
I know this will sound stupid, but what exactly does an amp do?  
Quote:
That's strange. BTW did you get the pair that came in a white box? Strangely when I tried them recently I was shocked that I had to max the volume on my Ipod Touch for them! I only need to do that with my k240 Studio, so it's a bit strange. I never had to do this with my old pair that came with a black box with the flap. I rarely used my M50 unamped, but I was surprised at how much lower the volume was on the white box version.

I still feel like open or semi-open headphones are best for movies and games. Not worth getting something else if they do the job. Maybe if you watch a ton of movies and play a lot of games. k240 Studio are the best all-around good headphone fore music, movies and games, but they're harder to drive usually.

To get more volume you would probably need an amp or a different source. Maybe try a different soundcard if you have one around.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #21 of 21
A real basic reply to:

"I know this will sound stupid, but what exactly does an amp do?"

A "Quality" Amplifier will (or should):
  • Improve overall sound quality
  • Put less strain on your headphones (HP) and ears
  • Allow a more relaxed open listening session (less fatigue)

Item #1 above will be accomplished by: lowering the distortion (a maxed out amp, no matter the quality, approches or goes into clipping when taxed too the limit).

Item #2 is a direct result of more power bieng available, directly related to #1.  More power will drive the headphones more efficiently stressing them and your ears less.

Item #3 well that's more of a personal experience but I would bet money that by having less distortion you will certainly enjoy the sessions more.  It will be like getting a new set of HPs (improved ones of course!).

Not actually owning a separate HP amp I cannot recommend one, but I thought a simple explanation was in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back