M50? Is there anything better for the same price?
Nov 9, 2010 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

neil4real

New Head-Fier
I've been reading around, for the price M50 seems like a good set, but I know that open can's are better, is this a huge issue? 

I've been hearing that grado's are good for rock but not versatile to handle much else, are there any akg's or beyer dynamics that would be better than grado's and M50's?

I listen to a lot of electronic music, bass heavy, but I don't want TOO much bass as i listen to a lot of soul and straight up singing as well. I just want it when I need it, not excess for every song that's played. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 21
I find the AKG k240 to be better to my ears, but many won't agree.
k240 is also semi-open, has a better soundstage, is more comfortable, has better mids, but a little less bass.
Basically the k240 is one of the few headphones that can do every genre well.

It does need an amp, but it seemed to work very well straight out of my Ipod Touch when I tested it. It's not a good match for very small players though I imagine.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 21

I can say that you will not be disappointed with the M50; it's a great all-around phone with a perfect amount of bass that's strong and precise without being overpowering.  The soundstage isn't quite as good as an open can would be (AD700, for instance), but it's still good and unless you're going to be listening in a completely silent environment, I'd go with a closed can for the isolation and the privacy of those around you.  The isolation is good enough to block out low levels of noise while keeping you aware of a ringing phone, car horn, etc.  They're also pretty comfortable, although they might get sweaty after a couple hours of use, depending on the weather and your propensity to sweat.

Portability - M50s are rather large, but they fit comfortably around my small neck when not in use and sound great unamped from my iPod.  The cord is monstrously long (10'), but if you keep most of it bundled with a twistie-tie it's not a problem.  

They're one of the most (probably the most) highly/frequently-recommended phones around here for a reason, and you won't get anything strictly better for the price.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 21
i think the m50s are a good choice based on all the reviews i have read on here and amazon. ive never tried them myself but i am getting them for christmas. but many people say they sound great, plus they are cheap

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 21
Or, you could buy the M50 that has the shorter coiled cable - not the M50S with the long straight cable.

Quote:
Portability - M50s are rather large, but they fit comfortably around my small neck when not in use and sound great unamped from my iPod.  The cord is monstrously long (10'), but if you keep most of it bundled with a twistie-tie it's not a problem. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Or, you could buy the M50 that has the shorter coiled cable - not the M50S with the long straight cable.

I hate coiled cables, in my opinion Shure does it right,1.2 meters on the normal cable( which is detachable as well) and it ships with an additional length. No other company does that, my XB500's has a 1 meter cord but no additional length to add on, so they are only getting it partly right, I'll probably get the extention one of these days though cause I miss laying bed listening while connected to my amp.

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
I hate coiled cables, in my opinion Shure does it right,1.2 meters on the normal cable( which is detachable as well) and it ships with an additional length. No other company does that, my XB500's has a 1 meter cord but no additional length to add on, so they are only getting it partly right, I'll probably get the extention one of these days though cause I miss laying bed listening while connected to my amp.

That's why I dislike the M50 as a portable.  I use it mostly for watching TV or if a friend wants to try what entry level headphones sound like.  Having a detachable cable was a huge deal for me since I had a tendency to destroy cables on my portables.  But it'd be great if all the cans had detachable cables.

Nov 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
That's why I dislike the M50 as a portable.  I use it mostly for watching TV or if a friend wants to try what entry level headphones sound like.  Having a detachable cable was a huge deal for me since I had a tendency to destroy cables on my portables.  But it'd be great if all the cans had detachable cables.

I wouldn't consider it a portable to be honest, I would consider them to be some of the best entry level headphones you can buy. And for $100 you get a hell of a good headphone. But portable headphones are a different breed and need very specific things to be considered as such. The Cord should be shorter, the constructions should be tougher, the form factor smaller, and the isolation better. That's the reason very few headphones are really called portable cause to have all of those things and not sacrifice sound is a feat of engineering.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 21
I had an m50, although I liked the sound quality I sold it because It was to take outside.
You should look to see if you will like to have such a big headphones walking around

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 21
Hi guys, i don't mean to hijack the thread. But since this thread is about the ATH-M50, I would like to know how does it perform for games and movies? Would you recommend it for someone who would use it for 50% Gaming, 40% Music, and 10% Movies? Thanks! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 21

No, I myself would not. It has a somewhat poor soundstage and an open or semi-open headphone is better for movies and games. It may be acceptable, but that's about it. Despite the M50 being better overall for music, even the HD-555 would be a better match for games and movies.

Absolute best headphone for movies and games under $100 is the k240 Studio. Someone prove me wrong! I'm not sure really why so many people pick closed headphones for gaming..doesn't make sense to me.

Since the D2000 has a good soundstage and imaging, I wonder how that'd be for gaming and movies. It'd be interesting to test out!
Quote:
Hi guys, i don't mean to hijack the thread. But since this thread is about the ATH-M50, I would like to know how does it perform for games and movies? Would you recommend it for someone who would use it for 50% Gaming, 40% Music, and 10% Movies? Thanks! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 21
I kind of hope you're joking... but I get the feeling you're not... lol. So here goes.

Not everyone will prefer the K240S for movies and gaming; therefore it is not the absolute best. But if you'd care to prove otherwise... lots of luck with that. 

A little background on gaming (I don't game with headphones BTW). Two considerations that often are not sorted out very well in discussions about modern FPS gaming and headphones are positional audio and the "boom factor". Different headphones, other equipment, and software provide differences in these two considerations - and people have different preferences and priorities for what they want to hear when gaming. Another consideration is for whether sound leaking out may bother others near by and / or whether external sounds may degrade the gaming experience. 

Quote:
Absolute best headphone for movies and games under $100 is the k240 Studio. Someone prove me wrong! I'm not sure really why so many people pick closed headphones for gaming..doesn't make sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back