M50 boxes - fake or just new model?
Mar 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

marcusgi

Head-Fier
Hello,

Here are the boxes from 2 M50's I purchased from reputable dealers. The one on the left was bought 10/09 and the one on the right last week 03/11. I am still burning in the new pair, but both sound great. I am pretty sure they are real, just wondering if someone can confirm this? I read an article that AT changed them a little, that they are more balanced. However, new ones are still bass monsters. Thanks!

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Can't see the image.

Even if I can (assuming its a photo of the box), can't prove anything.

Here's a 5-minute 100% confidence genuine-or-not test (in fact, the only one):

Pry off one of the pleather ear cushions (extremely easy, and trust me, nothing will be damaged unless you're biting at the pads), then use a cross screwdriver to take off the cover plastic, to expose the driver. See if 1) there is a small paper label saying '125B' on the actual driver, and 2) if there is white padding snuggily padded between the driver and the internal plastic cover.

If those are both there, then it's genuine.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Oops I see the image now, my 1-week old M50 has the same fully white box.

Anyway adding on to the test I posted above: careful when taking off the large plastic cover under the pleather cushion - after taking off the 4 screws, you'll notice that there is actually wiring connecting this plastic plate and the driver underneath. Just don't yank the cover plate (it comes right off).

Quote:
Can't see the image.

Even if I can (assuming its a photo of the box), can't prove anything.

Here's a 5-minute 100% confidence genuine-or-not test (in fact, the only one):

Pry off one of the pleather ear cushions (extremely easy, and trust me, nothing will be damaged unless you're biting at the pads), then use a cross screwdriver to take off the cover plastic, to expose the driver. See if 1) there is a small paper label saying '125B' on the actual driver, and 2) if there is white padding snuggily padded between the driver and the internal plastic cover.

If those are both there, then it's genuine.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 6
I have heard about the blue box. It, from what I read, is an older release of the m50 (I've even heard rumors it sounds different, not sure) but is totally real. My pair came in the white box (on the right) and are real. I think you're fine. Let us know if you think they sound different after burn in! I'm curious.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 6
Same as the above. By all accounts, both are genuine, it's just that the white-box version is newer. I got the white box version of the M50s as well, and I'm positive they're genuine.

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 6
update: I did a little comparing of the two, really couldn't tell a difference, both just great sound. What is funny to me is I can get 3 of these for the price of beats by dr dre. I watch American Idol and all they can do is promote how "awesome" they are.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back