M50: bass is less after burn in?
Nov 4, 2010 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

neato

100+ Head-Fier
So I got these in the mail last week, and I was really excited to listen to them given what I've read about them here. Without burn in, I was impressed with the bass. There was a lot of it, but it wasn't the most clear. So, I've been burning them in since then. They probably have around 50-60 hrs on them. Now I notice that the bass has cleaned up a bit. Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me, but it also feels like the bass has weakened some. Now I have to eq the bass up for it to impress me
frown.gif
Maybe it needs even more burn in? Has anyone else had this experience?

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 14
Well sure. You should read all the comments very similar to yours on the M50 appreciation thread.

The typical experience has been for the bass to lessen slightly and tighten. Also, the highs seem to become less 'brittle' and strident. That said, few have complained about the bass becoming too weak. If EQ-ing is a pain or doesn't produce the desired effect, you may want to spend a bit more and get the Denon D2000 or a crapload more and get the D5000. 
atsmile.gif

shane

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
I think you are just getting used to the bass. listen to earbuds for a day and then listen to the M50s again.

Well yeah, there may be some psychoacoustics involved with the OP, but the break-in effects have been experienced by a lot of folks. For me, I listened to them for a bit when I first got them, then broke them in off-head. The difference was palpable.

So sure, maybe a combination of the two... 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 14
It's all in your head.  This is the same reason that many people cheat on their spouses.  At first you are amazed at the newness of the experience, but eventually you get jaded with the sameness.  Enjoy what you have and stop trying to chase the great white buffalo.

Edit: I'm not discounting break-in.  I'm just saying that if you went back to poor quality headphones for a while and then came back to these, they would be amazing again.  Or, even go to something else amazing.  Get yourself DT880 or Ultrasone Pro.  That's what most people on this site do, make the rounds before they really settle with a pair they like.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 14
Ya it might be a mixture of me getting used to them and burn in. How long does it take for these to fully burn in or at least get past the bad stage?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a fiio e5 for that bass boost. I can't afford a really good amp right now, and I just want that extra bit of bass. Don't get me wrong, I still love these headphones. I'm just wanting a bit more bass quantity, but definitely no buyer's regrets here. Does the fiio e5's bass boost distort on the M50's?

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Break-in... typically 25 - 50 hours.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Good info to know. I am considering picking up a ATH-M50S for use with an iPod/iPhone. Do you guys recomend the flio E5 with the M50?

I currently have RX700s but need another pair of head phones for the Mrs. so figure this way have two sets that we can choose between.

Daniel

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Good info to know. I am considering picking up a ATH-M50S for use with an iPod/iPhone. Do you guys recomend the flio E5 with the M50?

I currently have RX700s but need another pair of head phones for the Mrs. so figure this way have two sets that we can choose between.

Daniel

The M50's are easy to drive, even straight from your ipod they sound good.
If you want a bit of power, get the Fiio. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Ya it might be a mixture of me getting used to them and burn in. How long does it take for these to fully burn in or at least get past the bad stage?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a fiio e5 for that bass boost. I can't afford a really good amp right now, and I just want that extra bit of bass. Don't get me wrong, I still love these headphones. I'm just wanting a bit more bass quantity, but definitely no buyer's regrets here. Does the fiio e5's bass boost distort on the M50's?

E7 dosen't. I assume the E5 wont. Also my experiance with the M50 is that the bass tightens up a lot after burn in. Out of the box the bass is loose and bloated in my opinion and the M50 become much better after the bass gains some definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back