m4u 1 vs. a900x vs. t50rp
Sep 2, 2014 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

viperlt86

New Head-Fier
I tried this post in the recommendations forum and got no help. So, I thought I would try here. I have recently made a little extra money and it is burning a hole in my pocket. So, I figure, what better way to get rid of it than spend it on headphone stuff! I currently have some 7506's that I have really enjoyed. I have enjoyed them so much, in fact, that they have given me a case of the audio bug and I would like an upgrade.

Here is my situation. I've got about $300 to spend. I probably need closed headphones. I am a student and use them for studying and I value being able to shut myself off in my own little world. I would entertain open backed suggestions though since I've got my Sony's. I could use them for quiet and new ones for quality. Portability is a nice bonus, but I mainly listen to them at my desk. I usually listen from a MacBook Air or an iPhone. Most of my music is 256 kbit/s, although I also listen to Spotify a decent amount. I listen to classical, classic rock, a lot of acoustic stuff, a little bluegrassy and folk stuff, rock, and alternative, among other things. I like present bass but not overdone, and I am pretty sensitive to and easily fatigued by harsh high frequencies. Lastly, I have a fairly average head size (hat size 7) and normal ear size.

Okay, so first on my list...I have really been impressed with the reviews and the wirecutter article about PSB's m4u 1. I love that everyone pretty much agrees that they sound amazing. I like that they are somewhat portable and low impedance enough to be driven by my phone. I like the inline remote and replaceable cables, but I wish the remote was three button. I am not so big a fan of the looks, the big size, and the build quality - they don't look awful, but I hate all the plastic and the whole beats vibe. For $300, I really think headphones should look and feel awesome too. I really love the way Sennheiser Momentums look, but this is not worth a sound quality trade off to me.

Second, I have also considered a pair of ATH-a900x's. I could get these new for $200 and then spend $100 on a cheap dac/amp. I am not so sure about the wing design though, and again, looks and portability aren't that great.

Third, I have thought about modding a set of Fostex T50rp's. I love a good DIY project and am pretty handy. I also love to tinker. This route would leave me about $150 to put into a slightly better dac/amp. The downside here is the lack of portability and the fact that t50rp's are the ugliest things I have ever seen. This might be worth it for sound quality though.

So, most wise head-fi'ers, what do you suggest? The biggest problem is that I can't hear any of these headphones before I buy them. I can't find a store near me that sells the m4u's, the a900x's are discontinued, and the t50rp's don't sound good until you mod them to high heaven. What would serve me best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back