M2Tech HiFace 2?
Apr 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #31 of 562

Quote:
Understood the new hiface is based on the same XMOS chip (but not 100% sure)

Hmm,  £140 seems a low price for a XMOS based device.  Hopefully real world use might provide some feedback on this.  And there's always Jkenny whose DACs etc are based on modded original Hiface. I wonder if he will have any interest in the new Hiface Two.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #33 of 562
Thanks for the link, I dropped JKeny an email via his site to ask if he has any interest in incorporating the Hiface Two in his products. 

Only one person on that thread mentions XMOS, but based on what?

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #36 of 562

Quote:
Hey, 

Are we sure the Audiophilleo will sound better ? AFAIK Stello U3 and Audiophilleo play in the same league, and Hiface Two has pretty much the same hardware than the Stello. so ?

Cheers

It could sound better than the Audiophilleo and Stello and leaves a ton of room for an Aqvox PS, Vaunix Hub, etc. etc. if one should go that far...

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #38 of 562
Interesting thing is that in the hiface2 manual it mentions that it can be used with clean power pack like the AQVOX USB power pack.

Strange thing is I know some people over at computer audiophile tried this with the first Hiface and reported no improvement.

Maybe the new hiface has fixed this issue and can be improved even further.

I'm very tempted to pick up a AQVOX soon.

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #39 of 562
I think this thing is a bargain at £140.

It must be the best VFM converter on the market now by a long way.  The only thing that is similar is the V-Link 192, but that is almost £100 more at £225.

I'd love to hear a shoot about between those two.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #40 of 562

Quote:
I think this thing is a bargain at £140.

It must be the best VFM converter on the market now by a long way.  The only thing that is similar is the V-Link 192, but that is almost £100 more at £225.

I'd love to hear a shoot about between those two.

I don't think price should ever be a consideration when comparing products.  Most high end $$$$$ is garbage to my ears.  If the Hiface Two can beat the Young, that's enough to "easily" beat any converter out there w/exception of the Empirical Off Ramp or Diverter, maybe the Audiophilleo in spite it sounded horrible in my system.

If the power supply did nothing for the first Hiface or it was too subtle to be so clearly night/day, it should not have any affect on the newer Hiface.  The Aqvox should have helped with the original version far more than it would help with this one especially with the original one being inferior to this one.

Oh, and Vaunix is serious money for some $10 Chinese Parts device.  Sure, it's a heavy duty piece, but get real with the pricing.  Same with the Aqvox...and so many other products of theirs.  They got heaps of re-sale money down their pockets if they can sell even 100 of these things...

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #41 of 562
Yeah I sort of agree but surely the Audiophilleo at £450 my end including import taxes would beat the HiFace??  Maybe I'm missing something 
confused.gif
  I would love to hear the AP just out of curiosity.

Have you tried the AP?  Did it not gel with your system??

I may also have been wrong about the original Hiface and the AQVOX.  I've read some positive comments regarding this combo.  

Tempted to pick up a AQVOX next month when I get paid.

Quote:
I don't think price should ever be a consideration when comparing products.  Most high end $$$$$ is garbage to my ears.  If the Hiface Two can beat the Young, that's enough to "easily" beat any converter out there w/exception of the Empirical Off Ramp or Diverter, maybe the Audiophilleo in spite it sounded horrible in my system.

If the power supply did nothing for the first Hiface or it was too subtle to be so clearly night/day, it should not have any affect on the newer Hiface.  The Aqvox should have helped with the original version far more than it would help with this one especially with the original one being inferior to this one.

Oh, and Vaunix is serious money for some $10 Chinese Parts device.  Sure, it's a heavy duty piece, but get real with the pricing.  Same with the Aqvox...and so many other products of theirs.  They got heaps of re-sale money down their pockets if they can sell even 100 of these things...

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #42 of 562
Just got home from the long journey and the first thing I did after putting my suitcase away was to power up the Hiface 2, and within the 1st few seconds I had to ask myself was I hearing things?! The Hiface 2 is better than the original Hiface, a lot better. Deeper, less bloated bass, decay is improved, along with its sense of space, I mean I now can 'feel' the bass a lot better even from my old rusty w100. Soundstage is also improved, but the most significant improvement lies in imaging realm. Things are now a lot clearer, more transparent, yet there's no coloring in sight. That's exactly what I expect from a good transport. Mids and highs are also take a step up from the original Hiface. There're also plenty of details to hear, the Hiface 2 sure brings back memories when I first powered up my balanced B22, though the amount of detail now is not as striking but the feeling I have now is not too far off.

I don't know if the Hiface 2 is qualified to be called 'hiend' but it sure brings my B24 + B22 to another level. Those guys at M2tech sure knows what they are doing. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #43 of 562

Quote:
Yeah I sort of agree but surely the Audiophilleo at £450 my end including import taxes would beat the HiFace??  Maybe I'm missing something 
confused.gif
  I would love to hear the AP just out of curiosity.

Have you tried the AP?  Did it not gel with your system??

I may also have been wrong about the original Hiface and the AQVOX.  I've read some positive comments regarding this combo.  

Tempted to pick up a AQVOX next month when I get paid.

My experience with the AP2 is not a good one, but I also kinda feel like I shoulda tried it with my Coax cable.  I think my coax cable is exceptional and may even be better in spite I do favor that direct connect since I'm an all in one solution type person.  But others have said direct connect is best, so I can only say well, it didn't work for me.  It's geared at maybe people that need more detail from their systems and sacrifice things that are important at least to me.  Detail wise, aside from the harsh mid-treble I heard, it indeed has this clarity that bested the Hiface 1, but at the same time, it made my speakers almost sound like they became horn drivers with metal cones overnight (super mega nastiness):)).  Maybe it is all a system synergy thing in the end, but I listened to it vs. the Off-Ramp 5 at Empirical's place and the Off-Ramp made the AP2 sound aweful.  But it still means nothing to me because in spite that mid-treble harshness was not present in the Off-Ramp, the AP2 did sound more relaxed, very weak detail/bold presentation wise, etc. which means that AP2 making a horn loading aggressive sound in my system may be like 10X that with the Off-Ramp in there:)).  

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #44 of 562

Quote:
Just got home from the long journey and the first thing I did after putting my suitcase away was to power up the Hiface 2, and within the 1st few seconds I had to ask myself was I hearing things?! The Hiface 2 is better than the original Hiface, a lot better. Deeper, less bloated bass, decay is improved, along with its sense of space, I mean I now can 'feel' the bass a lot better even from my old rusty w100. Soundstage is also improved, but the most significant improvement lies in imaging realm. Things are now a lot clearer, more transparent, yet there's no coloring in sight. That's exactly what I expect from a good transport. Mids and highs are also take a step up from the original Hiface. There're also plenty of details to hear, the Hiface 2 sure brings back memories when I first powered up my balanced B22, though the amount of detail now is not as striking but the feeling I have now is not too far off.

I don't know if the Hiface 2 is qualified to be called 'hiend' but it sure brings my B24 + B22 to another level. Those guys at M2tech sure knows what they are doing. 

Good stuff to hear:)  Personally, I feel hi-end is when you are at a point that you are convinced the differences between things only become a thing of subtlety and no longer a night/day type of one.  I mean, when most all devices you are using, regardless of what they cost, can have some differences in their "flavor", but all are doing a competent enough job that it leaves it up to your liking for the speakers/room or headphones and not the equipment if this makes sense.  

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #45 of 562
I just purchased the M Tech Hi Face 2 converter. I owned the first one, but returned it. I wrote to the manufacture in Italy, and to my surprise got a response, this was about a year ago or so, the guy was really friendly, and answered my questions and heard my complaints about the first Hi Face. He told me they were working on upgraded products and to try those when they came out, so here I am again. I can't wait to check it out, it should be great from the early reviews I am hearing. I'll update this when I receive the item and I have a chance to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back