M2 Young DAC (or Burson HA 160D) vs King Rex HQ
May 9, 2011 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Benmor

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. Need some advice on upgrading my amp.  I'm using Audeze lcd 2 headphones. I wanted to pair them with something like the  M2 Young DAC - using my macbook.  I've been using a hifiman 801 and I read it would sound much better with an amp like the King Rex HQ.

So now I'm not sure which is the best way to go sound quality wise for those headphones - get an amp for the hifiman, like the King Rex HQ - or get a DAC/amp like the M2 Young or Burson HA 160D (I know it would cost more) for the lcd 2s? Thanks Benmor

May 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 5
If you're considering a DAC/Amp for the LCD-2's I'd suggest looking at the CEntrance DACmini, there's a good thread on it here for more info as well.

May 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks elnero. I've done a lot of reading but somehow the CEntrance didn't cross my radar - don't know how that happened because now that you've mentioned it - I've looked it up and there's lots of stuff out there about it with the lcd2s. great suggestion, thanks again.

May 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 5
The Burson HA160D is a great choice, apparently much better bass and bass control tahn the King Rex, along with smoother sound.
Quite a few headfi-ers have mentioned the synergy of LCD2 and Burson 160D, as have Mike and some of the other users on Headfonia in the forums.

I have the Burson and love it  - I however do NOT have LCD 2's (yet) and am using Sennheiser HD650's.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
The Burson HA160D is a great choice, apparently much better bass and bass control tahn the King Rex, along with smoother sound.
Quite a few headfi-ers have mentioned the synergy of LCD2 and Burson 160D, as have Mike and some of the other users on Headfonia in the forums.

I have the Burson and love it  - I however do NOT have LCD 2's (yet) and am using Sennheiser HD650's.

I have a audeze lcd2 rev 2 phone with the ha-160(amp only) and the synergy is definitely there when you pair the lcd2 and the burson amplifier.The audezes really sings when paired with the burson amp.May I suggest that you upgrade the fuse in your burson. I upgraded the fuse in my ha-160 (hi-fi tuning  silver star 5 amp small  fast blow fuse) and the sound of the amp became more neutral with better dynamics, tighter bass and much better low level detail.May I also suggest using an upgraded power cord for even further improvement. Imho the upgrading of the fuse made a bigger difference than the power cord, but the power cord upgrade was still a noticeable and worthwhile step to improve the sound performance of the burson amp even further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back