M1060c- open soundstage mod
Jan 30, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #16 of 41
Ok I have done it but still not sure if it is wider. But something is different I think
y9ahRpl.jpg

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #17 of 41
Ok I have done it but still not sure if it is wider. But something is different I think
y9ahRpl.jpg

Cool dude. Thanks for trying it. Though from the looks of it what you used might absorb things. I was going more for diffusion.

Do you like the something different? And what did you use?

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #18 of 41
I used some foam that came with mic but it is spongy and airy. Well and for sound I haven't listened much music lately so it will be a bit tough to say what are those changes because I have hard time remembering how things sounded

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #19 of 41
I used some foam that came with mic but it is spongy and airy. Well and for sound I haven't listened much music lately so it will be a bit tough to say what are those changes because I have hard time remembering how things sounded
Hey and its hard to tell from the picture but it looks like some of the metal is not covered, like the foam is too far down in the channel. The idea is that the metal (circular part) is reflecting sound which messes with the soundstage. Diffusing that widens the soundstage.

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #20 of 41
Hey and its hard to tell from the picture but it looks like some of the metal is not covered, like the foam is too far down in the channel. The idea is that the metal (circular part) is reflecting sound which messes with the soundstage. Diffusing that widens the soundstage.
Yeah I might stuck more foam using glue to glue more on top of the foam which is inside the channel

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #22 of 41
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #23 of 41
you could do that. though the stuff I used is pretty easy to find in the grocery store and you can fit it in there with no glue.

I found a similar product at the Publix for $3, but here is a quick search on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Rainforest-N...ords=foam+drawer+liner&qid=1581372061&sr=8-15

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Select-Drawer-12-Inch-10-Feet/dp/B00PY3IA4Q/ref=sr_1_30?crid=15LTFOLLM2FVQ&keywords=duck+shelf+liner&qid=1581392435&s=home-garden&sprefix=duck+s,garden,186&sr=1-30
Yeah It didn't improve soundstage. I will look if Depo has this stuff

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #25 of 41
Tho again I have 3d printed grills and that white crap over the driver so it might be because of that
ah. Yeah the grills will mess up the staging...

Mar 9, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #26 of 41
Yeah its been a surprise to me since I got into headphones how different it is. Looks almost seem to trump sound. I get soo frustrated at all the review videos that wax on and on about comfort and build quality and talk more about that than the sound.

Its just me and do your own research but I can't see what they look like when I am listening...
I'm with you when it comes to looks, at least for headphones that will never leave my office/bedroom, but comfort and build quality definitely matter to me. Monoprice gets a pass on build quality because the sound is SO good for the price and they're built simply enough that an average person can mod/fix just about anything about them. but in general, I don't want to worry too much about my expensive headphones just falling apart. And as far as comfort, I like to wear my headphones for hours at a time and while I don't mind having to do the occasional adjustment, I definitely have to draw a line somewhere. of course you can fix uncomfortable most of the time too but it's nice to have something that's at least decently comfortable out of the box, especially when you have some headphones out there that sound good with the stock pads but are very uncomfortable and have the sound ruined by a pad swap.

Speakers are a bit different because you throw them up on a stand or whatever you're going to do with them and then they probably don't get touched for years except to dust them off. comfort doesn't exist in that world and build quality isn't nearly as big a concern since they sit still all the time, headphones sit on your head, get picked up, sat down, plugged in, unplugged, etc. and there are a lot more moving parts. I think comparing speakers to computer monitors and headphones to keyboards/mice would be a good analogy here.

Anyways, really nice threads on these and your open backs as well. I definitely plan on trying some of this stuff in the future to see how it goes. The dynamat is a pretty smart idea, not sure if i'll go with that or the "fuzzer" mod that some other people have been doing, but I'll probably try both. Hopefully I have some dynamat lying around somewhere :p

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #27 of 41
I'm with you when it comes to looks, at least for headphones that will never leave my office/bedroom, but comfort and build quality definitely matter to me. Monoprice gets a pass on build quality because the sound is SO good for the price and they're built simply enough that an average person can mod/fix just about anything about them. but in general, I don't want to worry too much about my expensive headphones just falling apart. And as far as comfort, I like to wear my headphones for hours at a time and while I don't mind having to do the occasional adjustment, I definitely have to draw a line somewhere. of course you can fix uncomfortable most of the time too but it's nice to have something that's at least decently comfortable out of the box, especially when you have some headphones out there that sound good with the stock pads but are very uncomfortable and have the sound ruined by a pad swap.

Speakers are a bit different because you throw them up on a stand or whatever you're going to do with them and then they probably don't get touched for years except to dust them off. comfort doesn't exist in that world and build quality isn't nearly as big a concern since they sit still all the time, headphones sit on your head, get picked up, sat down, plugged in, unplugged, etc. and there are a lot more moving parts. I think comparing speakers to computer monitors and headphones to keyboards/mice would be a good analogy here.

Anyways, really nice threads on these and your open backs as well. I definitely plan on trying some of this stuff in the future to see how it goes. The dynamat is a pretty smart idea, not sure if i'll go with that or the "fuzzer" mod that some other people have been doing, but I'll probably try both. Hopefully I have some dynamat lying around somewhere :p
Thanks man. I agree about the monoprice build quality. I know there are comfier cans out there, but man these arent bad. I wear them 4+ hours a day and its not a big deal. I did get some pads that are pleather but have cloth on the parts that touch the ears. Someday I will adress the front of the drivers I think but man these sound sooo good modded. I had a fabulous year last year and I could drop some dough on some Ayras or something but I didn't because these sound great as is and well I have a ways to go.

Thats a good analogy on the differences between speakers and cans.

FWIW you can make headphones sound alot better by improving the rest of the system...

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #28 of 41
Thanks man. I agree about the monoprice build quality. I know there are comfier cans out there, but man these arent bad. I wear them 4+ hours a day and its not a big deal. I did get some pads that are pleather but have cloth on the parts that touch the ears. Someday I will adress the front of the drivers I think but man these sound sooo good modded. I had a fabulous year last year and I could drop some dough on some Ayras or something but I didn't because these sound great as is and well I have a ways to go.

Thats a good analogy on the differences between speakers and cans.

FWIW you can make headphones sound alot better by improving the rest of the system...
i think the earcups on my mk2s are pretty comfortable. Of course they get hot being leather (pleather?) but that's never really been much of a bother to me since a quick lift of each cup does a pretty good job taking care of that. the headband on the other hand... feels like there's a brick sitting on my head after half an hour or so and i have to cycle them forward and backwards, and I have a pretty good amount of hair. I think my head is too big to fit dekoni nuggets in there so I'm somewhere between getting some kind of padded wrap and trying to just swap the headband out for something different altogether but I'm moving soon so I don't really want to order anything and have it show up here after I've moved haha.

May 4, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 41
Got around to doing this with the M1060. It does the same thing and man that soundstage gets really wide

EC2A2E5C-EEC9-4BEF-BDED-7D55A6DC47EE.jpeg766B1E88-8DFF-4717-ADCC-CDD836B0A465.jpeg

I needed some double sided tape for this one. And i wanted black kitchen drawer materisl which i bought. But it was too big. The “dots” apparently come in different sizes

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #30 of 41
Got around to doing this with the M1060. It does the same thing and man that soundstage gets really wide

EC2A2E5C-EEC9-4BEF-BDED-7D55A6DC47EE.jpeg766B1E88-8DFF-4717-ADCC-CDD836B0A465.jpeg

I needed some double sided tape for this one. And i wanted black kitchen drawer materisl which i bought. But it was too big. The “dots” apparently come in different sizes

Besides making it wider, did the diffusion do anything noticeable to the FR? Are those felt strips and dynamat on the slits? Does making it wider adversely affect the imaging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back