M-Fidelity (formerly Starkey Norway) SA-43 Custom IEM Review: Expansive Space + Options
Apr 27, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #46 of 114

Quote:

I know, custom IEMs can be frustrating, can't they? 
frown.gif

Still, I think when one eventually gets a successful fit and sound, it all becomes worth the pain! 
L3000.gif

I've learned to relax with the waiting times of months, and just... wait... all will be well in the end, even if it's not with the CIEM one originally thought it would be (I mean that from personal experience, not directed towards your SA-43).

Joe really respects the SA-43 and I really respect his opinion on CIEMs, so I expect the SA-43 sounds wonderful. I hope it brings you much pleasure when it is repaired and re-fitted for your ears.

The fit is partly my fault, as i didnt use a biteblock when getting my impressions done, and my problematic earshape is another -  the right Ciem got sanded down with the other refit i had, but there still a tiny bit of discomfort on the right, and it should be as the left, where there is no problem whatsoever..

I have been using my Itouch and thats my only device, and i aswell respect Joe's opinions and i can hear myself that my SA-43 needs a quality companion to reach its best, and thats what im trying to get sorted too...

i am very sorry about my wallet, but u know the drill :)

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #47 of 114

Quote:
My SA-43 has to go back to Norway again, cant fix the rocker myself without making a mess.. :frowning2:  And im getting new impressions done aswell for some new HF-2, and Alf can hopefully tweak my SA-43 for a bit better fit and isolation and get the last discomfort settled while he has them...

Joe: The soundtube lenght how much does it differ from other Ciems u have, is it a decent lenght for sound and isolation, i need to bring that up for ALF too while i has them?

Wow, I am surprised a switch fell out as mine seem rock solid.  My SA-43 isn't the longest, but it does have a decent canal length and is about as long as half my CIEMs.  A longer canal may bring the presentation forward a bit and could make them slightly brighter, but that is a question I would ask Alf as he is extremely helpful.  And very nice, the HF-2!  I use the SA-12 as my workout headphones and have no complaints other than the cable oxidization.  

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #48 of 114

Quote:

Wow, I am surprised a switch fell out as mine seem rock solid.  My SA-43 isn't the longest, but it does have a decent canal length and is about as long as half my CIEMs.  A longer canal may bring the presentation forward a bit and could make them slightly brighter, but that is a question I would ask Alf as he is extremely helpful.  And very nice, the HF-2!  I use the SA-12 as my workout headphones and have no complaints other than the cable oxidization.  

Dunno how the switch/rocker departed my faceplate, i was dozing off and found out later it was gone, there aint significant damage to see and i dont think this happens that often at all..

I have them on at work a lot of times, and i havnt pampered them as such, so it is weird it came apart just by rest my head in a airplane seat..

I hate oxidization, why i dont want clear fancy panzy cables..

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #49 of 114
Hey

Im getting my SA-43 back either tomorrow or friday - Alf fixed the rocker and applied an extra coat of laquor for better isolation...

I have the Colorfly C4 at hand now, so hopefully this matchup will be more in tune..

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #51 of 114
Im still waiting for my SA-43, they went on strike at the customs office friday - this is another delay i havnt incountered before..

So now i hope to get them either tomorrow (monday) or tuesday, but i guess i cant be sure of anything as always..

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #53 of 114
Just need a bit of advice

I am going to buy the SA-43 very soon.

Just wondering how the VAT/customs tax works? I am in the UK.

Do Starkey apply the VAT/customs tax when I pay them. If so, will I be charged again when the item arrives in my country.

Thanks

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #54 of 114
Congratulations on your decision, the SA-43 is very nice!

Norway isn't part of the EU, so I am not exactly sure how it works, but I am sure Alf from Starkey will be able to answer all of your questions, he is very responsive and knowledgeable.  Although I am sure others can also help.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #55 of 114
Hi

I have just recently received my SA-43 iem's. 

What would be a good PORTABLE amp to pair it with. I head the pico slim is good, but it is too expensive for me.

Would the Fiio E17 be a good choice. Would any other Fiio's be good?

Is an amp actually needed/recommended?

Thanks

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #56 of 114
I do think they benefit quite a bit from a good amp, and if you can get a good deal on a used Arrow, that could fit in your budget.  All the Fiio amps I have heard, while good for the price, haven't had the power that the SA-43 needs to really shine.  The  EHP-O2 and Neco amps are also good choices, but not quite as small s the Arrow.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #58 of 114
Quote:
Would the cMoy v2.03 headphone amp be any good? The pico slim and headstage arrow would be the best choices but they are out of my budget.

Thanks

I have read many good things about the JDS Labs C421 if that is in your price range.  The lower cost cMoy amps are also decent for the price, but I am not sure if they will limit the spaciousness and imaging of the SA-43.

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #59 of 114
Is it just me, or are the iem's larger than other customs?

They seem to stick out of my ears more than the others.....

If so, they should try and make them smaller....and make the bass go (even) deeper. Then there would be no question that this is the best iem on the market. (except for SE 5-way, but Grzegorz told me that my ears were not large enough for them, so I can't really compare).
How large do ones ears have to be!!

Anyway, back to my original question...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back