M-Fidelity (formerly Starkey Norway) SA-43 Custom IEM Review: Expansive Space + Options
Oct 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #76 of 114
That power output does sound on the low side.  If you want an external sound card, I would recommend getting one that has a wall wart as they usually provide much better sound.  For example, the HUD-MX1 sounds more dynamic and better when I use the included wall power than USB power.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #77 of 114
Thanks

The HUD-MX1 seems like a good option as a DAC and amp, but it doesn't have an input function to record an instrument for example.

Is there anything on the market that has a good DAC, amp and Hi-Z input?

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #79 of 114
Hi again

I have recently started to notice some distortion during some of my music listening. This usually occurs in metal music where the guitars are using heavy distortion (the good kind!), and it occurs in the higher frequencies. I seemed to have solved the problem with distortion with the bass now I have distortion in the highs!!!!

Is this normal? Should I notify Starkey? 

My rig is USB > Fiio E17 > Line out > cMoyBB v2.03 High power mod > SA-43

Thanks

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #80 of 114
Hi again

I have recently started to notice some distortion during some of my music listening. This usually occurs in metal music where the guitars are using heavy distortion (the good kind!), and it occurs in the higher frequencies. I seemed to have solved the problem with distortion with the bass now I have distortion in the highs!!!!

Is this normal? Should I notify Starkey? 

My rig is USB > Fiio E17 > Line out > cMoyBB v2.03 High power mod > SA-43

Thanks

Are you sure the distortion is not in the song? I have issues with many poorly mastered metal albums.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #81 of 114
To be honest I am not sure if it is the SA-43 causing distortion or the actual music being poorly mastered.

How can you tell the difference?

This distortion I am hearing always seems to happen on any music with highly distorted guitars.

I will give examples of songs which have this distortion later on. Please can you listen to them when you have time just to double check if it the music or the earphones causing the problem.

Thanks

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #82 of 114
Ok, so some of the music I listen to is poorly mastered and this aggravates the distortion further, such as the albums Machine Head - The Blackening, Whitesnake - 1987 (remastered), Testament - Dark Roots of Earth.

But distortion still occurs on 'normal' albums to that are supposedly well mastered and are not compressed for the loudness war. Even movies suffer from this.

The distortion occurs slightly more in the right channel. All of this is at normal volume levels. Whenever there is a loud 'trebley' part, such as high gain multiple string chords or someone screaming, distortion occurs.

I think this is a problem with the iem. What do you think?

You think I should contact starkey?

Thanks

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #83 of 114
What sources have you tried?  I take it these problems don't occur with other headphones/IEMs with the same source path.  Have you tried changing the filters?  If you can pinpoint that it is the CIEMs, I would contact Starkey.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #85 of 114
I am not sure exactly, but the wax probably blocks some of the high frequencies resulting in peaks.  You can clean the filters if you soak them in hydrogen peroxide, and it depends on the makeup of your ear wax, and using a hearing aid cleaner might also work well for you.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #88 of 114
Just sent in my earpiece for repairs for the 3rd time. Shell keeps cracking up because they've only done half-asssed glue and lacquer jobs. This time they told me they would finally reshape the shell. Weeks later when they finally decide to take a look at it I get an e-mail saying they can't fix it and are offering me Tunz CIEMs instead 
triportsad.gif
. I already paid them for previous repairs of the same issue within the guarantee period. Not a happy camper. Probably for the best that m-fidelity took over. Now I just have to figure out how to get this repaired without going broke.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #89 of 114
Sorry, did I read that right??  You had to pay for repairs IN the guarantee period?  Does that not sort of defeat the purpose OF the guarantee?!?!  Good luck man.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back