M-Audio AV40 - still a good buy?
Nov 5, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #121 of 181
How did you come up with 10 ft as the magic number?

Also, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work to convert an unbalanced output to XLR--I don't think you get the balanced connection benefit any more. If it helped you, something else was going on.

Buy a good subwoofer cable if you are worried about interference. Get one from Blue Jean Cable.

Lol, I remember seeing 10ft somewhere too.
Yeah, there's no balanced benefit unless everything is balanced. I don't see where he went wrong there.
Personally, I just wanna know how to hook up my dac to the sub or speakers, then the both of them together.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #122 of 181
XLR to RCA does not make it balanced. Same is with TRS to whatever. Must be balanced on both ends. However I feel Monoprice makes better quality XLR to RCA than they do RCA to RCA. As for using TRS, you would use that 3.5mm to TRS cable you linked from DAC to sub, and then you have the option of running XLR to XLR out or TRS to TRS for your sub to monitors, you can use XLR out even if you are not using XLR in or vice versa with TRS. You can look at Presonus T10 manual if you need specifics and diagrams. Hell, you can run 3.5mm to RCA if you want then use TRS to TRS or XLR to XLR. I would use XLR to XLR because all studio monitors support XLR, not all support TRS like my Emotivas, plus they look cooler and if you ever get a balanced DAC you won't have to buy cables again. 

10ft is regarded as the limit that you want to be running unbalanced cables, got that from most home theater and pro audio people. The longer the run the more chances of interference. 10ft is a good rule of thumb epscially if your environment is noisy. Balanced cables are better for longer runs. Not saying 10 ft is a magical limit for unbalanced cables but shorter the better. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #123 of 181
10ft is regarded as the limit that you want to be running unbalanced cables, got that from most home theater and pro audio people.

Never heard that from subwoofer people, and I've been hanging out here for years. Know lots of subwoofer enthusiasts that don't use balanced connections in in multi subwoofer setups for runs longer than that.

And it was all that important, you'd think that SVS, HSU, PSA, and Reaction Audio would be providing XLR in all their subs.

So I think you are a victim of pro audio hype, and also home audio people that are busy justifying their $10,000 systems.

The most important thing with subwoofers is to make sure you are plugging your active sub into the same electrical circuit to help avoid ground loop issues. And, as you pointed out, don't run your sub cable right alongside power cables.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #124 of 181
Subwoofer humming is a common issue so doing anything to minimize the risk should be taken. Of course there are people running 50ft cables just fine but we are talking about a studio subwoofer and using its crossover. Running unbalanced into the sub and then out to the monitors. If any interference is picked up it will reach your monitors through the sub. In a home theater setup, chances are the sub is 10ft+ away from the listening position and even if there is slight humming you probably won't hear it, and the speakers are not connected through the subwoofer. Picking up humming in a close quarters setup while your speakers are running through the sub will not be fun. The sub and monitors will hum. What I see with unbalanced vs. balanced is that to run unbalanced for long runs requires a very good quality cable whereas with XLR even cheap cables will suffice because balanced technology is superior. SVS's ultra series subs off balanced XLR inputs and outputs. I am running unbalanced just fine right now but had some experience with annoying humming that came from multiple subwoofer cables. The only victims are the ones who spend $100-$100K on audio and power cables.  

SoAmusing - Just get whatever cable you feel is a good value and run it for the minimum distance you need. No need for a 25ft cable if all you need is 6ft.

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #125 of 181
I'm being told by the sales manager Baker at ProAudioStar that $500 shipped is the lowest they are going to go on both the T10 and 305's both new. Basically $260 for the sub and $240 for the monitors. This includes Black Friday prices.

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #126 of 181
  I'm being told by the sales manager Baker at ProAudioStar that $500 shipped is the lowest they are going to go on both the T10 and 305's both new. Basically $260 for the sub and $240 for the monitors. This includes Black Friday prices.

$260 for the sub is a great price, $240 for the monitors is average. Have seen them on sale for $220 before. What I would say is definitely get the sub for that price and either buy the monitors elsewhere, perhaps during black Friday or if you are okay with $500 get both. At $200 they are a must for $240 they are still very good. All up to you and what you are willing to spend. Emotivas are only $90 more for the 5 incher and $40 more for the 4 incher. You will be happy with any of these options. Let me know what you decide to do. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #127 of 181
  $260 for the sub is a great price, $240 for the monitors is average. Have seen them on sale for $220 before. What I would say is definitely get the sub for that price and either buy the monitors elsewhere, perhaps during black Friday or if you are okay with $500 get both. At $200 they are a must for $240 they are still very good. All up to you and what you are willing to spend. Emotivas are only $90 more for the 5 incher and $40 more for the 4 incher. You will be happy with any of these options. Let me know what you decide to do. 

Yeah, definitely happy with the sub price, but the monitor price, not so much.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #128 of 181
Subwoofer humming is a common issue so doing anything to minimize the risk should be taken. Of course there are people running 50ft cables just fine but we are talking about a studio subwoofer and using its crossover. Running unbalanced into the sub and then out to the monitors. If any interference is picked up it will reach your monitors through the sub.

It maybe that depending on the quality of electronics one has when running the signal through the subwoofer to the monitors that this might increase the likelihood of interference issues. But I've seen hundreds of people talk about their subs, and IMO, humming is not a common issue. There are certainly people that occasionally experience ground loop issues or have problems in the way their cables are run next top other devices, but even that is not really common, in my experience. Go over here and read a year's worth of posts, and you just won't find this issue popping up that much.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #129 of 181
So now I know getting the sub for $250-$265 is possible new, but what about the JBL's? Lowest I've seen is $240 for both, but think I can snag these for $200? Would be really happy if so. My budget is $500, but I was aiming for $450. I still have to buy a few cords too, so if I got it for $450 I would get 5% ($22.5) in cash back on my CC, which could go towards cords. Wait it out, or get both for $500 now?

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #130 of 181
I have a lot of gear coming today so I decided to update my comments on the JBL before I get the DAC. It seems that I'm updating all my audio at the same time -I decided to order 3 DACs (ODAC, Modi and Audioengine D1), see which one I like and return the rest (will update the thread again once I have everything). Today, I also ordered IEMs (I know, totally unrelated) - Hifiman RE-400, they are on sale for $79 so I couldn't resist. I feel like I need to stop hanging out on Head-fi :D

Anyway, back to the LSR305...I got them a week ago and simply cannot stop listening. I totally love them. They are airy, spacious and fun, while totally accurate at the same time. I can't wait to hear what the DAC will do to them, if they sound this amazing now, they must be fantastic with a good DAC. What I find the most impressive is how good they sound at low volume, there is no need to crank them up to get quality sound. The mids are very crisp and clear, the highs are fun, and most surprisingly the lows are perfect. The bass is there when you need it and is just the right amount, I don't feel any need to adjust it in any way, I left the LF switch to 0. They are nearfield monitors, but their sweet spot is very wide, the waveguide technology is really impressive. As I said before, I managed to hear quite a lot of monitors before getting the JBL, but to my ears these were way better than everything under $500. Even though I paid more than the sale price, I don't regret it for a second. My DACs are going to be delivered today and I'll let you guys know what I think about the JBLs with a DAC and which DAC I'll end up with. Thanks again for all the help. I'm in audio heaven :)

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #131 of 181
As I said before, I managed to hear quite a lot of monitors before getting the JBL, but to my ears these were way better than everything under $500.

Your experience is like everyone else's. 9 people out of 10 that I've seen talk about them will say they are as good or better than other speakers in the under $500 range. They are just great speakers for the money. If someone doesn't like them, they either have very unusual tastes in speakers or need to spend a lot more cash :)

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #132 of 181
Your experience is like everyone else's. 9 people out of 10 that I've seen talk about them will say they are as good or better than other speakers in the under $500 range. They are just great speakers for the money. If someone doesn't like them, they either have very unusual tastes in speakers or need to spend a lot more cash :)
How do they compare to the passive speakers (or others) u mentioned? :p

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #133 of 181
Cableman - Glad you love the speakers. Would like to hear your results on the different DAC's. Next step for you should be a sub. When I first got my M-Audios I was too in heaven and thought the bass was perfect. Got a cheap Yamaha sub and could not believe what I was missing. 

My setup has impressed me more everyday. The day I got my sub and the day I got my monitors I was sort of disappointed. But once you calibrate them to your liking, let your hears rest and get used to the sound, you can tell the difference. I am also running my monitors straight out of the box with no EQ adjustments physical or via software. Getting rid of my Xonar H6, and now can run my setup with whatever DAC I choose. 

You guys recommend any good music? I am a metal head but would like to expand my genres further and of course explore more metal. I got the gear now I just need more music. 

Lastly, love how the thread started with AV40's and ended up covering a much wider range of topics, price points and setups. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back