M-Audio AV40 - still a good buy?
Nov 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #92 of 181
  Not sure if in budget or if you want to invest in a new product, not ever heard them myself but the reviews I read are very interesting and impressive.
http://www.focal.com/en/alpha/493-alpha-50.html

Definitely over budget for $300 just for one monitor, lol. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

If you are going to add a sub, don't worry about 25 hz monitors.

A sub is the right "tool" for sub bass, a specialized speaker that is designed strictly to produce low frequencies. A tower speaker or monitor with big drivers that tries to reach down low like that will never outperform a good sub.

My recommendation would be to get the LSR 305 when the go on special again for around $250 (which they often do). I would bet that they might over Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Then save up for a good sub. Many people make the mistake of thinking a cheap sub has good bass. But a sub is a big driver, big enclosure, and an amplifier. So it is worthwhile to spend a little money on one.

Will do :) Thanks much.

SoAmusing - I will tell you this. JBL + Presonus > Airmotiv 5S. Go to ProAudioStar and tell them you want the JBL + Presonus, they will probably give you both for $450. I think the Presonus is the best studio sub especially for the money. Biggest, most powerful, deepest out of all the top players and at $265 price cannot be beat. The Airmotivs are great but not worth the extra $100-150 when that money can go towards a subwoofer. If I had a choice of upgrading my M-Audios or Yamaha Sub I would upgrade the Yamaha sub.

Thank you! I suppose I shall do that!

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #93 of 181
These prices you guys are talking about. $250 for the T10 is for used or new price? From what I understand this is for used price. And $240-$250 for the 305's are for used or new? And from here I'm thinking new. Anyone?

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #94 of 181
I will repeat again. PROAUDIOSTAR! I got my sub for $265 NEW! Sign up for ProAudioStar's newsletter and like them on Facebook. Once or twice a week they have flash sales. During the flash sale, the item you want might not be discounted on their site but they will discount the item you want further if you chat with them. $265 was a non flash sale price, I was quoted for $250 during the flash sale. If they discounted a $400 sub to $250 then I think they can give you at least $200 for the JBL's if not $180. Low ball them and they will give you their best price possible. If you want I can get a quote for both and relay it to you. The Airmotiv 5S is on sale for $332. 332+250=$580. If you buy the sub and monitors from ProAudioStar I could see them doing $400-450 for both.

It is your call if you want to spend the extra money for the Airmotiv speakers. If you have a big room they might be worth it because I feel they have really great imaging beyond the near field setting. If you like to lie on a couch or bed and listen loud the Airmotiv might be better. Emotiva is a home theater company so beyond the near field they fill up a space really well. They make 5.1 systems consisting of these monitors. The question is what kind of regret you want. The regret that you could have spent extra to get something better or the regret that you spent extra not to get that much better. I took the pihlosophy of YOLO and went with what I thought was the most high end for a "reasonable" amount of money. I only listen to music in my bedroom. I love music and great audio so for me it was worth it because I know I will get my money out of them the way I did with my previous setup. Emotiva's come with a 5 year warranty, 30 day return, and they look better. Your call. I will be honest I felt regretful, I loved my M-Audios, but as the days go on I am liking my setup more and more. 

Cel4145 - I do not have many places to put the sub. Originally I put it in the corner from where my Yamaha was and it was terrible. The sub is between my monitors under my desk and sounds the best at the listening position and on my bed. Plus I am using it as a crossover which means cables running from the DAC and monitors have to reach the sub. My cables are only 6ft long. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #96 of 181
Yeah, unfortunately, the most convenient place to put a sub is not always the place that makes it sound best since a sub interacts with one's room.

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #97 of 181
Yeah, unfortunately, the most convenient place to put a sub is not always the place that makes it sound best since a sub interacts with one's room.

This x1000...  room treatment and placement of speakers is FAR more important than spending $300 more.   Do your research on the physics and spend a little on some bass traps and panels and you can make even basic monitors sound damn good.

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #98 of 181
I would do acoustic treatment if I lived on my own. I feel acoustic treatment is more beneficial if you listen loud. I listen at 65db so acoustic reflections do not cause problems at my listening position. More so when I listen in bed at much higher volumes, you can feel the audio get clustered and echo. Bass traps would help but I just cannot get any treatment. My next upgrade would be room treatment or a new room. I am done buying equipment, okay maybe a DAC, but that is it! As for the sub, Presonus actually recommends the position I have it in, in my small room that is the best spot. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #99 of 181
Congrats on the new speakers!

And even though they weren't on sale, LSR 305 owners tend to agree they compete well with some of the best $500 speakers. Not like you got a bad price/performance deal :)

If you are into bass, now you just need a sub :wink:

Thank you! You were the first to suggest the LSR305, you suggestion was very helpful, I appreciate it. I have been listening to them all weekend and love them more and more. I'll post a short review after a week of listening, but my impressions so far: clarity is top notch, plenty of bass for a medium room, sound stage is great, they even perform admirably at low volume (listened to them down to about 8% volume and they were still outstanding, unlike the AV40s that had to be cranked up to enjoy). I am more than satisfied, they produce a very "full" sound that is quite enjoyable but without any evident coloration and they stay true to the source. I'll say this again - I love them. Totally worth the price I paid even without a deep discount. I have no regrets :)

Glad you are enjoying the JBL's. What DAC are you using? If you are using integrated audio right now than you should really like your JBL's when your ODAC comes. 

Just ordered my DAC, currently using the JBLs in probably the worst way possible - my monitor has an audio chip and a headphone output, the monitor is connected to my laptop with an HDMI cable. I'm sure the audio integrated in the monitor is the worst possible and there a ton of interference, but the JBL sounds amazing even through that output so I cannot imagine how awesome it will be once I have a proper DAC. Once the DAC arrives, I'll post my thoughts. Thanks for all the suggestions and once again congrats on your new setup.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #100 of 181
  I will repeat again. PROAUDIOSTAR! I got my sub for $265 NEW! Sign up for ProAudioStar's newsletter and like them on Facebook. Once or twice a week they have flash sales. During the flash sale, the item you want might not be discounted on their site but they will discount the item you want further if you chat with them. $265 was a non flash sale price, I was quoted for $250 during the flash sale. If they discounted a $400 sub to $250 then I think they can give you at least $200 for the JBL's if not $180. Low ball them and they will give you their best price possible. If you want I can get a quote for both and relay it to you. The Airmotiv 5S is on sale for $332. 332+250=$580. If you buy the sub and monitors from ProAudioStar I could see them doing $400-450 for both.

Yeah, hit them up for me! I'd love to be able to get the sub for $250 and the JBL's for $200 both new. I doubt you could get them to do $400 for both for new condition, even during black friday, but who knows. Crazy things happen.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #101 of 181
  Yeah, hit them up for me! I'd love to be able to get the sub for $250 and the JBL's for $200 both new. I doubt you could get them to do $400 for both for new condition, even during black friday, but who knows. Crazy things happen.

Crazy things do happen on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and I know this is totally unrelated, but I'd love to score a better amp than the E11k, that also has RCA out so that I can power my bookshelf speakers from the same box. I'm hoping this year's Black Friday is gonna be a good one.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #102 of 181
  Crazy things do happen on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and I know this is totally unrelated, but I'd love to score a better amp than the E11k, that also has RCA out so that I can power my bookshelf speakers from the same box. I'm hoping this year's Black Friday is gonna be a good one.

No worries. Hopefully we can both get what we want :) My budget is $500, so going under is wonderful. $450 is perfect, but surpassing that... :D

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #103 of 181
LOL mine is like $150, maybe. 

But then again, I am just a teenager so that's not too bad. xD

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #104 of 181
You should go over to AVS and subscribe to their budget subwoofer threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1396482-budget-subwoofers-discussions-opinions-questions-thread.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1364182-list-budget-subwoofers-300-less.html

Good chance someone will post any good deals on budget subs during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Those threads are in their subwoofer forum, so not a bad idea just to checke the main subwoofer forum either during that time.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #105 of 181
  LOL mine is like $150, maybe. 

But then again, I am just a teenager so that's not too bad. xD

One day young audio padawan :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back