M-Audio AV40 - still a good buy?
Oct 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 181

cableman5

New Head-Fier
I've been researching 2.0 speakers/monitors and the AV40 seems to be getting a lot of good reviews. I'll mainly be listening to music on my laptop while working, no gaming and only occasionally watching movies. For around $200 is there anything else that you guys would recommend? Is the AV40 a good buy? Thanks.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 181
I've been researching 2.0 speakers/monitors and the AV40 seems to be getting a lot of good reviews. I'll mainly be listening to music on my laptop while working, no gaming and only occasionally watching movies. For around $200 is there anything else that you guys would recommend? Is the AV40 a good buy? Thanks.

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, $170, they are what I use.
They appear to be rebranded M-Audio BX5s
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 181
Thanks for the suggestion. How do the Monoprice monitors differ from the M-Audio? The BX5 is around $300 a pair, these are almost half the price, what are the differences? If it's just the name then this is the deal of the century! Have you had the chance to compare them to the M-Audio monitors (either the AV40 or BX5)? I researched them but couldn't find any reviews, if you know of any please let me know.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 181
Thanks for the suggestion. How do the Monoprice monitors differ from the M-Audio? The BX5 is around $300 a pair, these are almost half the price, what are the differences? If it's just the name then this is the deal of the century! Have you had the chance to compare them to the M-Audio monitors (either the AV40 or BX5)? I researched them but couldn't find any reviews, if you know of any please let me know.

I bought the Monoprice 5" studio monitors about a year ago, replaced my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 setup.
I do like the sound quality of the Monoprice monitors.
The technical specs for the BX5 and Monoprice are the same
About the only real difference I can see is the Monoprice's back panel have the inputs jacks slightly moved a bit.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 181

I bought the Monoprice 5" studio monitors about a year ago, replaced my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 setup.
I do like the sound quality of the Monoprice monitors.
The technical specs for the BX5 and Monoprice are the same
About the only real difference I can see is the Monoprice's back panel have the inputs jacks slightly moved a bit.

I just checked the specs, they are indeed pretty much the same. Only weird thing is that the Monoprice is 9.7 lbs per speaker and the M-Audio is 11 lbs...I wonder what's missing inside the Monoprice...

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 181
I just checked the specs, they are indeed pretty much the same. Only weird thing is that the Monoprice is 9.7 lbs per speaker and the M-Audio is 11 lbs...I wonder what's missing inside the Monoprice...

There is the original BX5 and newer BX5 D2, maybe the Monoprices are based on the older BX5s??

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 181
Monoprice uses the older versions of M-Audio BX5's. If you live in America you can find the M-Audio BX5 D2's for $200 or even cheaper. Guitar center had them on sale for $160 at one point. I bought them at Pro Audio Star for $220. Look around Ebay. I would completely recommend the BX5 D2 over the AV40. It will be worth the extra and over the monoprice. Look around for a deal. Pro Audio Star has sales chat, you can negotitate a price with them. They offered me a Presonus T10 subwoofer for $250 and that usually goes for $300+ used. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 181
Monoprice uses the older versions of M-Audio BX5's. If you live in America you can find the M-Audio BX5 D2's for $200 or even cheaper. Guitar center had them on sale for $160 at one point. I bought them at Pro Audio Star for $220. Look around Ebay. I would completely recommend the BX5 D2 over the AV40. It will be worth the extra and over the monoprice. Look around for a deal. Pro Audio Star has sales chat, you can negotitate a price with them. They offered me a Presonus T10 subwoofer for $250 and that usually goes for $300+ used. 

Thanks a lot for the tips. BX5 D2 for $220 is a great deal. I am in the US and will keep an eye on the market, I'd rather get the BX5, all reviews indicate it's worth the price difference. Thanks again.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 181
Thanks a lot for the tips. BX5 D2 for $220 is a great deal. I am in the US and will keep an eye on the market, I'd rather get the BX5, all reviews indicate it's worth the price difference. Thanks again.

Looks like the Guitar Center will sell used BX5 D2s for $200.

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 181

Well, at $220, you might as well save an extra $30 and watch for the JBL LSR305 to go sale again. It's been on sale for ~$250 seems like every other or every third month this year.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 181

Well, at $220, you might as well save an extra $30 and watch for the JBL LSR305 to go sale again. It's been on sale for ~$250 seems like every other or every third month this year.

You guys are always one step ahead of me! I found out about the JBL LSR305 today and have been reading about it most of the day.

How does it compare to the BX5? I will be using them for music listening not recoding. Is JBL the answer here? If anyone has heard them side by side, please let me know what you think. I'll try to go to a Guitar Center on Friday to A/B them.

Where should I look for the sale on the JBLs? Amazon? Guitar Center?

Thanks guys, you are awesome!

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 181
Sweetwater has often had sales on the LSR 305. Amazon some, too. You might set up a price watch for Amazon at camelcamelcamel.com, and also an alert at Slickdeals.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 181
You guys are always one step ahead of me! I found out about the JBL LSR305 today and have been reading about it most of the day.
How does it compare to the BX5? I will be using them for music listening not recoding. Is JBL the answer here? If anyone has heard them side by side, please let me know what you think. I'll try to go to a Guitar Center on Friday to A/B them.
Where should I look for the sale on the JBLs? Amazon? Guitar Center?
Thanks guys, you are awesome!

Amazon, Guitar Center, Techbargins, craigslist
Slightly used pair on eBay, $260.

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #15 of 181
Thanks for the info.

Which one would you go with - BX5 or LSR305?

I personally would pass on the BX5 (D2) and JBLs 305s and wait for when Monoprice puts their 5" monitors on sale for around $135.
Otherwise i really have no idea on which I might prefer, between the BX5 D2s and JBL LSR-305s

I might be temped to spend a little more and get the Emotiva AirMotiv 5 ($350)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back