M-Audio AV40 - still a good buy?
Nov 11, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #136 of 181
The last 5 days I've been listening to the LSR305 with various DACs so I think it's time for an update.

First of all does the LSR305 improve with a DAC? As you might expect, it does. But I have to say the difference is definitely not night and day. The JBL sounds awesome straight from my laptop and I would have been perfectly happy with them without a DAC. They are at probably 95% straight from the laptop. However, the DAC is an improvement - there was some harshness without it, music is more "smooth" with it. There was no audible noise before, but especially lower quality mp3 files (192kbit) were not as pleasant as they are now, which is a surprise to me, I thought that with the DAC they would be even worse. The bass is also a bit better controlled. So overall, any harshness is now gone and the bass sounds more pleasant, but it's definitely not a "I can't believe I was listening to music before this DAC".

I heard 3 DACs - Audioengine D1, ODAC and Modi. To be honest, to my ears the difference between the 3 DACs is almost not perceivable. The ODAC is perhaps a little "clearer" than the D1 but the difference is so small that I had to spend quite some time to notice it. The Modi and the D1 sound (to me) almost the same. Again, this is with the JBL LSR305, maybe there are more audible difference when driving other speakers or with headphones. Given that I pretty much cannot detect differences between the 3 DACs, I decided to choose based on convenience. The Audioengine D1 has a pretty good amp for my headphones and volume control. If I decide to add amps to the ODAC or Modi, I would have to spend more money and add more boxes on my desktop. I don't have any hard to drive headphones so I don't see a need for anything more than the amp in the D1. If anything, the amp in the AE D1 offers a very noticeable difference with headphones, the improvement is there without question. I decided to keep the Audioengine D1 and return the rest. At this point I am extremely happy with the JBL LSR305 and Audioengine D1 combination, I honestly cannot ask for more in my space. I heard more than a dozen speakers and three DACs so I can be confident that as far as my preferences go, I chose the best setup.

This thread (and my opinion) has really evolved - all I wanted was a pair of AV40s and I ended up with a way better setup. Thanks guys!

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #137 of 181
Also, if anyone is interested - on Saturday, I got new IEMs, the Hifiman RE400. They are currently on sale for $79 from $99. They sound great and are an awesome value at the current price. They have a flat response with slight warmness. I recommend them if you are looking for good IEMs.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #138 of 181
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE4.5 $130 for the pair. Wonder how it is vs the lsr305

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #139 of 181
Presonus monitors get great praise. Only problem with the 4.5" version is the amp is only in one of the monitors and the other one is chained. The 5" version is separately amped. Plus will have more output. 

KRK Rokits are on sale might want to take a look. http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-RP5-5--Platinum-Studio-Monitor--Each--110604592-i3894002.gc You still going to get the sub? I am sure ProAudio will price match the KRK's. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #140 of 181
Presonus monitors get great praise. Only problem with the 4.5" version is the amp is only in one of the monitors and the other one is chained. The 5" version is separately amped. Plus will have more output. 

KRK Rokits are on sale might want to take a look. http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-RP5-5--Platinum-Studio-Monitor--Each--110604592-i3894002.gc You still going to get the sub? I am sure ProAudio will price match the KRK's. 
I see. Pass. I didn't hear too great of things with the rokits vs the 305s. I have the sub in my room right now.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #141 of 181
You got the Presonus sub? How do you like it? You need to get some speakers ASAP.

B&H has the Presonus Eris 5 for $112 each 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=910725&gclid=Cj0KEQiA7tCjBRDulMny5rfM0dkBEiQA7fcshfV5cjAHluNVG7g1McOrfpANHsnexPm4N6GpqNu_DqMaAiWn8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #142 of 181
Nov 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #143 of 181
Hearing most peoples oppinions, I would get the JBL. $240 is a good price and I think you should bite the bullet and just order them so you can enjoy your sub and speakers. You will love the setup for many years without the need to upgrade.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #144 of 181
Hearing most peoples oppinions, I would get the JBL. $240 is a good price and I think you should bite the bullet and just order them so you can enjoy your sub and speakers. You will love the setup for many years without the need to upgrade.

That's what I was thinking. The waveguide thing is sweet. No doubt, but I'm patient and persistent.

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #145 of 181
Well I just got the LSR305'S from JBL for $225 new shipped from http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ All I had to reference was the deal they had going on in Feb. that was seen on the 305 page in the reviews section. Stoked!

Nov 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #146 of 181
Nice to hear the wait paid off. Let me know how they sound with the sub. What DAC are you going to use?

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #147 of 181
Nice to hear the wait paid off. Let me know how they sound with the sub. What DAC are you going to use?

Will do :) It's the StonerAcoustics UD120.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #149 of 181
  How are you liking your setup? Any pictures?

My room is still a mess from the rework. I'm currently waiting on stands and cords to come in. They both will probably be in Thursday. Even with them in I won't be sure how to hook them up properly. I have a SMALL room. 14ft X 9ft I need to sell my APC Back-UPS pro 1500g btw if anyone wants it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back