M-80/V-80 or HD 25
Dec 19, 2011 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nehcrow

1000+ Head-Fier
I wear glasses which is more comfortable for me?
I find the SRH840 to be VERY comfortable when wearing glasses, no gripes there.
Also which signature is closest to the SRH840 as I enjoy the signature of the SRH840 very much so.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 16
Forgot to mention that I will be using these for running! So I need something that's secure and can isolate decently (block out ambient noises) without blocking out traffic around me (I need to be aware of surroundings).

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 16
HD-25 has a great isolation. 

And I actually love them every way. 

For the price-performance ratio I think they beat M80 easily.

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 16
M80's imo, I've had to retype this 2x btw so love me =P

Im still new to this scene but from what I hear their sound sig is my style and they don't isolate as well as the hd25's which I believe will allow you to run and hear what you need to hear, I'm not sure just how much the 25's isolate so maybe they'd do fine as well.

It is said better soundstage and bass extension with smooth mids and some say slightly recessed highs but I like that so it won't be sibilant. Also I think the 25's are more bass heavy and the m80s are a little more flat. I keep hearing there is a little bit of extra clarity on the 25's probably because of the highs. I saw a mod though where a guy put some foam between the back of the driver and the vented cup and it took some soundstage and bass away but helped the highs slightly, he said lighter foam may help the compromise, plus I read that the vmoda's may start getting some swappable parts. From what I read it almost seemed like they were leaning on modular headphones!

The m80s are built like tanks so if they get beat up from running or being dropped they'll still work like a champ. The hd25's are still good quality nonetheless but not as "extreme."

You said you wear glasses, I've seen some say the m80s are a little uncomfortable with them but with some twists of the band you can adjust them to basically any angle/shape so I believe they'll do fine with some tweaks. I can't compare to the SRH840.

Btw  this is all things I read, I am probably getting a m80 this week though...unless I change my mind haha

~Joe (new audiophile and professional guitar gear whore)

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
M80's imo, I've had to retype this 2x btw so love me =P

Im still new to this scene but from what I hear their sound sig is my style and they don't isolate as well as the hd25's which I believe will allow you to run and hear what you need to hear, I'm not sure just how much the 25's isolate so maybe they'd do fine as well.

It is said better soundstage and bass extension with smooth mids and some say slightly recessed highs but I like that so it won't be sibilant. Also I think the 25's are more bass heavy and the m80s are a little more flat. I keep hearing there is a little bit of extra clarity on the 25's probably because of the highs. I saw a mod though where a guy put some foam between the back of the driver and the vented cup and it took some soundstage and bass away but helped the highs slightly, he said lighter foam may help the compromise, plus I read that the vmoda's may start getting some swappable parts. From what I read it almost seemed like they were leaning on modular headphones!

The m80s are built like tanks so if they get beat up from running or being dropped they'll still work like a champ. The hd25's are still good quality nonetheless but not as "extreme."

You said you wear glasses, I've seen some say the m80s are a little uncomfortable with them but with some twists of the band you can adjust them to basically any angle/shape so I believe they'll do fine with some tweaks. I can't compare to the SRH840.

Btw  this is all things I read, I am probably getting a m80 this week though...unless I change my mind haha

~Joe (new audiophile and professional guitar gear whore)

Thanks for the input!
Sort of leaning towards the HD 25 but... I'm worried about the fit. Do not want it to slip off whilst running or if I bow my head (lots of heavy headphones slip off my head when I bow or do something similar)
Also any issues with leakage? Don't want any leakage at all.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 16
I will say that I am a glasses wearer, and the V-Moda V80 (M80) headphones are GREAT, at first they are a little tight but as the headband stretches and the ear pads mellow out the wear gets very comfortable also one quick twist and you can have a more comfortable fit without worrying about killing your new cans.

After I burned these in the sound calmed down and was just majestic, but even right out of the box these were awesome! I find myself wearing mine for 10-15 hours straight without noticing they are on.

I have tried Shure, Beats, Skullcandy, and Bose, and these by far are my favorite headphones. 

They fit securly, and the sound is by far some of the best sound I have ever heard in a non-studio headphone. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I love these headphones, also I'm not a bass head, I like an even mixture of all my music, not have my brain rattled out of my nose and the V80's deliver. Right now the V80's (if you don't mind the True Blood branding) are $139 on Amazon.com. The downside to this is there is a 3-6 week wait as they are on back order.

Some music I love to play in these are: Guns N Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Tori Amos, Tool, Eminem, Mother Love Bone, Janis Joplin, Disturbed, Ice Cube, and the list goes on
dt880smile.png

Hope this helps and good luck!

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 16
get iem's if you want to use them for running IMO.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 16
I love my M-80s man but honestly...
Its hard for me to say this but they suck with glasses. I can't listen to them with my glasses on. I feel like the HD 25 would be worse because of the more clamping force. The HD 25 will clamp more making them better for running. I'd personally get in-ears for your situation. Something like the UE TripleFi or something like that, or even a dedicated running headphone.
Hope I helped.
FYI people will be very biased when given info, especially in the sound department. That is why Jude simply says that they are on the same level and does not get into specifics too much as far as this more than this. With either you will have a beef or two, but you really can't go wrong. 

M-80 is best for Rap and Hip Hop but performs other genres fantastically. No ear fatigue.

HD-25 is best for Rock but also performs other genres fantastically. Ear fatigue sets in after about 2-4 hours depending on the user.

You really can't go wrong but in ears for running my friend.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 16
Actually if you are on a treadmill or an eliptical (excuse my spelling) you can use on ear headphones. But I personally look down when I run so they would fall off. Don't want to be biased or anything.

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 16

The HD25's have the reputation of being the most durable pair of headphones that exist. Can't really put the M80s in the same league as the HD25 until it gets more years of experience.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
The HD25's have the reputation of being the most durable pair of headphones that exist. Can't really put the M80s in the same league as the HD25 until it gets more years of experience.

Perfectly said, the HD25 are regarded as the most durable headphone ever, the M80s were probably made to compete with them. Both are built like tanks, but only time will tell if the M80s hold up as much as their tests and warranties say.

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 16
I used to own the HD25's (not 2's) and now I have the M-80. SQ-wise, I think it's more personal taste than to say one is better than the other. For my personal preference I'm leaning more towards the M-80 for what I seek in headphones (detail, tight bass, deep but not at the cost treble detail).

For comfort, I find the HD25's used to clamp my head too tight and the M-80 much more comfortable. This is further exaggerated to either extreme when I wear glasses.

As for running, both have served me well (but then again I run on the treadmill and I'm not heavy footed so I don't necessarily cause a lot of vibration to my head). The HD25 cable seems more flexible than the M-80 though and therefore doesn't seem to 'get in the way' as much as the M-80's. Having said that, I have managed to just tuck it away so in the end cables on both aren't so much of a big issue.

Durability, to me they're both equal in terms of sudden impact. Over time, well I had my HD25 for many years before getting rid of it, whereas my M-80 is only a month old. So I can't say definitively one is more durable than the other.

P.S. headband, the M-80 is material, so it absorbs sweat and needs to be dried out. The HD25 OTOH has worn over time. I'd say both aren't winners here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back