M³ vs. beta 22 - Differences in quality of sound?
Jan 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

amcananey

Forever a 500+ Head-Fier
I know that the beta 22 is widely considered to be one of the best headphone amps, and I also know that it is considered to be better than the M³. Nonetheless, I was wondering whether anyone who has heard both could describe the differences in the quality of the sound.

I have heard/read that the beta 22 is extremely neutral, with a flat response that shows up your source files, and that some people therefore perceive it as slightly boring or thin, especially when it comes to bass. I also know that the M³ has a variable bass option.

While not a basshead, I do listen to a fair amount of hip-hop, and a bit of electronica as well. While I don't want bloated mushy bass, and I don't want it to overwhelm other areas of the spectrum, it is still important to me that the bass have a lot of punch or kick. I have been considering building an M³ or a beta 22, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing before I engage in such a project.

Can anyone tell me how the sound signature of the M³ differs from the beta 22? Does the M³ have a stronger bass response and, if so, is that only true when the variable bass control is used, or is it inherent in the design?

Can anyone tell me how the M³ and beta 22 compare to the KICAS/Caliente or Matrix M-Stage amps? These are the "off the shelf" amps that I am considering instead of a M³ or beta 22. I am particularly interested in which of these amps works best with low impedance cans.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Regards,
Adam

P.S. One more question: for anyone who has built an M³, how long did it take you?

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 4
I can say for certainty that a stock M-Stage is considerably warmer than the β22. I would also say that the β22 is not dead on neutral but it has a slight warmth to its sound. A Dynalo (Gilmore Lite) is noticeably colder and leaner (and probably slightly smoother too) than the β22. Of course I'm speaking of these amps in relation to one another. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 4
The Beta22 is quite neutral, though I would never describe it as "boring" or "thin".  Do take my impression with a grain of salt - I do really love a great bass line and am sometimes a total basshead when listening to hiphop, but I can't stand bloated, uncontrolled and fake (added) bass to songs.

The M^3's sound also depends on the opamps used, but I would say it's a little warmer with most opamps.  You can easily implement a bass-boost in the M^3 - but you can EQ it easily in software if you use a computer as well...

I generally don't like to compare DIY amps to commercial amps, they are generally in a different league at similar prices.  I do like the KICAS amps though (had a chance to listen to them at a recent meet) - for commercial amps at their price, they're damn good.

I've built a few M^3 amps, takes an evening, but of course it can get a LOT longer depending on casework and power supply options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back