M³ amplifier build discussions thread
May 15, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #451 of 828
what i would want to do integrating the bugle like that is to install the tle on the m3 but dont cut the lead's off the bottom, then simply tap the tle so the rails of the m3 and the bugle are at the same place and you wouldnt need to worry about modifying the hagtech pcb.

May 15, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #452 of 828
funch, skyskraper's suggestion is good. You can use the V+ and V- leads from your PSU, and take the virtual ground (IG on the M³ board) to power your Hagerman Bugle phono board. Leave the Welborne PS1's ground unconnected.

Looking at the Bugle schematic, it does not source or sink significant current from the virtual ground so the TLE2426 on the M³ board will have no problem with the additional "load". Moreover, the Bugle consists of three OPA2130 dual opamps. These opamps are very low current devices (~530uA per amplifier), so in total it adds only about 3.5mA to the total current draw on the PSU, which is essentially nothing. Even if you change to use AD8066s on the Bugle, the additional current draw is only ~6.6mA * 6 = 40mA. The Welborne PS1 should have no trouble powering both the M³ and the Bugle.

May 15, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #453 of 828
let us know how it goes if u decide to do it. ive been meaning to try out a bugle for a while but have just never gotten round to it, but there's plenty of space in my mmm case
evil_smiley.gif

May 15, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #454 of 828
I know there have been lots of questions of which to build... the M^3 or PPAv2. I just thought I'd let you guys know Nate (n_maher) and his M^3 sat down w/ me and my PPAv2...

Here is the summary of my thoughts.... Nate's will follow later this week.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1393626

May 16, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #456 of 828
Oops! I just thought of another potential problem with my M3/Bugle idea. My tonearm is a Rega with the Incognito rewire kit. It has a separate ground wire. Don't I need a true ground off of the Bugle board to connect that ground wire to? The virtual ground won't work as a ground connection for the tonearm, right? Or am I off base (not completely out of the realm of possibility
biggrin.gif
). Or can I use chassis (input) ground?
confused.gif

May 16, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #457 of 828
funch, the virtual ground is as "real" as anything as far as your tone arm ground is concerned. There should be no problem connecting it that way. Also, the virtual ground is input/chassis ground in two of my recommended internal wiring schemes (see the wiring & ground section of my M³ site).

May 16, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #459 of 828
Hi all, if you have completed your M³ amp, and it is not yet featured in the gallery section of the M³ site, what are you waiting for?
smily_headphones1.gif

PM me and I'll provide details on how to upload your pics.

May 16, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #460 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
They both require a little lead-bending to fit the holes, nothing major. The FES8DT is rated considerably higher at 8A than the 1N5401 (3A), but both will work fine.

I already purchased the AD8610AR Op-amps.

Will the STEPS PS run at 24VDC okay with the Amveco TE70063 Transformer and LM338T IC1 regulator?

and will the M3 run okay with TO-220 style Schottky rectifier diodes, AD8610AR op-amps and six Nichicon HE series low ESR 1000uF 50V for C7 only receiving 24DVC?

May 16, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #461 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaypetermen
Will the STEPS PS run at 24VDC okay with the Amveco TE70063 Transformer and LM338T IC1 regulator?

The regulator will get too hot. Best to use the TE70062 transformer for 24V - 27VDC output. You can safely run the AD8610ARs at 27V because the M³'s D1 and capacitance multiplier will drop that voltage down a bit.

Quote:

and will the M3 run okay with TO-220 style Schottky rectifier diodes, AD8610AR op-amps and six Nichicon HE series low ESR 1000uF 50V for C7 only receiving 24DVC?

Yes.

May 16, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #462 of 828
Newb question: in some M3, i see two headphone out. Does it mean than it order to have the same on my model, i just need to solder two headphones out in parallel ? Will it draw more current ? Will there be a limitation of some type ?

ps: don't worry amb, when my M3 will be cased up, i will give you details and pictures for your site
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #464 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by wistily
Newb question: in some M3, i see two headphone out. Does it mean than it order to have the same on my model, i just need to solder two headphones out in parallel ? Will it draw more current ? Will there be a limitation of some type ?

You can use the dual output pads and wire each jack separately as skyskraper says, or you could daisy chain from one jack to another. Either way is fine. There is no problem driving multiple headphones in parallel, the MOSFET output stage of the M³ will deliver all the current required.

May 17, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #465 of 828
What should I set the gain at on the M3 I'm building. I'll be using a home system CD source like my NAD502 or a Sony SACD player. The phones will be Sennheiser HD600s. Should I use the default gain of 11 or back off some? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back