LZ Big Dipper impressions and discussions thread
Jul 6, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #76 of 173
That 1khz dip turns me off so much

I'm the opposite. In fact have a look at most IEM measurements - its more normal to see a dip in this area than have it flat. If you didn't have a slight mid-bass hump, you get bass that sounds pretty flat and unnatural. Having the mid-bass hump naturally gives a recession at 1 kHz. if you don't get a rise from 1 to 2-3 kHz you often don't get a coherent mid-range. Most IEMs have it. Having it means that 1 kHz is relative recessed in comparison. Having both means there is a dip at 1kHz - and it sounds both natural and coherent.

I'll show you graphs of two of the best IEMs I've heard this year - DK-3001 and RE-2000. Note the frequency response. Now have a look at the Dipper. They did what they did for a reason.

RE2000 vs DK-3001.png Dipper channel.png

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #78 of 173
I'm the opposite. In fact have a look at most IEM measurements - its more normal to see a dip in this area than have it flat. If you didn't have a slight mid-bass hump, you get bass that sounds pretty flat and unnatural. Having the mid-bass hump naturally gives a recession at 1 kHz. if you don't get a rise from 1 to 2-3 kHz you often don't get a coherent mid-range. Most IEMs have it. Having it means that 1 kHz is relative recessed in comparison. Having both means there is a dip at 1kHz - and it sounds both natural and coherent.

I'll show you graphs of two of the best IEMs I've heard this year - DK-3001 and RE-2000. Note the frequency response. Now have a look at the Dipper. They did what they did for a reason.

Hmhm yes I get your point and I'm aware that a 1khz "dip" is normal because of how our hearing works. But a 10 decibel difference between 1 and 2 khz is surprising to me in this price class. I'm used to more "conservative" frequency responses (I think 5-6db difference is thr sweet spot). But yeah, maybe I'll have to listen to it before judging. Canjam maybe.

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #81 of 173
Finally I received the sample !

Headfonia review will be up in the near future.

9dmby3.jpg

Nice! I'm really looking forward to hear your impressions on them.

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #83 of 173
So based on the requests about sharing some inital impressions, here are my very early thoughts:

Wonderful fit. Semi-custom shell makes it great and it reminds me the StageDiver series. If you've used one of those you're gonna understand what I mean. And because of that you get a nice isolation with the right tips. Build quality is like a nice crafted CIEM.

Sound-wise, this is definitely a promising IEM. The one that I received has 3 switches for bass-mid-treble adjustment. When switches are left as it comes, the sound is a little thin with a nice treble response, good mids but bass is behind. When you flick the Number 1 switch you get more bass kick with an additional midbass presence. I also flicked Number 2, and I got better and a little more upfront mids. It also results to have better upper mids and lower trebles. Number 3 switch adds more treble and it gets very very energetic but I didn't like it. Too bright. But of course people can use these switches depending on their DAPs/sources to get a better synergy.

So to me the best setup is; Number 1-2 switches on, 3 closed.

Btw, there's no kit to play with the switches. I used a tip of a pencil to move them.

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #85 of 173
how does it perform compares to other iem in the same price range or which iem do you think it sounded most alike?

The problem with trying to answer that is that the IEM is tunable. So trying to say what it sounds like depends on the configuration used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back