LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Jul 8, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,606 of 1,793
Yes it seems that A7 are very 'picky' and source sensitive. While experimenting with A7 and different settings on dx160 I found that noise is always present when using WiFi with 3.5 output (both low and high gain). Having dx160 in offline mode it seems that noise levels and statics drops. I am waiting for 4.4 balance cable to enjoy silence :)
Your problem is definitively with the source. I hope the 4.4 output has better isolation :)

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,607 of 1,793
A7 is so sensitive that it didn't want to work with the LG G8s headphone jack. The sound was distorted. No problems with other IEM's.

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,610 of 1,793
Your problem is definitively with the source. I hope the 4.4 output has better isolation :)
As a past owner of the DX160 I can confirm the problem is definitely with the 3.5mm implementation there, it simply can’t be used with even moderately sensitive IEMs.

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #1,611 of 1,793
The 64Audio U12T is regarded as one of, if not the "best" IEMs in the world. There are people that believe the Dunu SA6 is somewhat of a baby U12T. As you can see here, they measure pretty similarly. Credit to crinacle.com for the graph comparison tool.
1.JPG

And here, we see the SA6 against the LZ A7, also pretty similar. Credit to hbb.squig.link.
2.JPG

HBB's measurement only specifies that the gold filters were used, not whether the A7 were in Monitor or Pop mode, but by comparing his graph to Prime Audio's below, we can comfortable say HBB's graph is in Monitor (2K peak only a few dB above 30hz peak).
3.JPG

But HBB's graph also does not specify whether the SA6 was measured in Default or Atmospheric Immersion mode. But again, if we compare HBB's graph to Crinacle's, we can pretty confidently say that HBB's SA6 measurements were in Default mode.

So the Atmospheric Immersion mode SA6 is a baby U12T. And the gold Monitor A7 is like a baby Default mode SA6. What about if we switch to Pop? Well, in Monitor, the gold A7 mid-range is about 5dB lower at 500hz compared to 30hz. In Pop, that 5dB difference doubles to 10db. As for the Atmospheric Immersion SA6, the difference between these 2 frequencies, as seen in Crinacle's graph, is about 8db. Pretty close.

In conclusion, if the Atmospheric Immersion mode SA6 is a baby U12T, and the gold Pop A7 is a baby SA6, does that make the gold Pop A7 a baby, baby U12T? I don't know. I've never heard the SA6, nor U12T. Also, graphs don't tell you everything about how an IEM sounds, especially when comparing graphs from multiple different sources (worked with what I had, HBB is the only site with the A7, but does not have the U12T), but I think it's safe to say the tunings are pretty similar. There is also driver setup differences to take into account, since the U12T and SA6 are both all BA sets, whereas the A7 is a 1DD+4BA+2 piezoelectric set, but maybe the inclusion of its liquid crystal polymer DD is in favor of the A7, in this comparison. LCP also happens to be the same material used in the dynamic driver of Moondrop's new Variations tribrid, which people seem to like.

One last comparison I'd like to show is to the ThieAudio Oracle, another strong contender in the tribrid space. It's tuning was spoken highly of by headphones.com's Resolve.
1628045083636.png

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #1,612 of 1,793
The 64Audio U12T is regarded as one of, if not the "best" IEMs in the world. There are people that believe the Dunu SA6 is somewhat of a baby U12T. As you can see here, they measure pretty similarly. Credit to crinacle.com for the graph comparison tool.

And here, we see the SA6 against the LZ A7, also pretty similar. Credit to hbb.squig.link.

HBB's measurement only specifies that the gold filters were used, not whether the A7 were in Monitor or Pop mode, but by comparing his graph to Prime Audio's below, we can comfortable say HBB's graph is in Monitor (2K peak only a few dB above 30hz peak).

But HBB's graph also does not specify whether the SA6 was measured in Default or Atmospheric Immersion mode. But again, if we compare HBB's graph to Crinacle's, we can pretty confidently say that HBB's SA6 measurements were in Default mode.

So the Atmospheric Immersion mode SA6 is a baby U12T. And the gold Monitor A7 is like a baby Default mode SA6. What about if we switch to Pop? Well, in Monitor, the gold A7 mid-range is about 5dB lower at 500hz compared to 30hz. In Pop, that 5dB difference doubles to 10db. As for the Atmospheric Immersion SA6, the difference between these 2 frequencies, as seen in Crinacle's graph, is about 8db. Pretty close.

In conclusion, if the Atmospheric Immersion mode SA6 is a baby U12T, and the gold Pop A7 is a baby SA6, does that make the gold Pop A7 a baby, baby U12T? I don't know. I've never heard the SA6, nor U12T. Also, graphs don't tell you everything about how an IEM sounds, especially when comparing graphs from multiple different sources (worked with what I had, HBB is the only site with the A7, but does not have the U12T), but I think it's safe to say the tunings are pretty similar. There is also driver setup differences to take into account, since the U12T and SA6 are both all BA sets, whereas the A7 is a 1DD+4BA+2 piezoelectric set, but maybe the inclusion of its liquid crystal polymer DD is in favor of the A7, in this comparison. LCP also happens to be the same material used in the dynamic driver of Moondrop's new Variations tribrid, which people seem to like.

One last comparison I'd like to show is to the ThieAudio Oracle, another strong contender in the tribrid space. It's tuning was spoken highly of by headphones.com's Resolve.
To my ears, my SA6 (default) and A7 (black monitor) have very similar tuning, with two small differences that can't really be seen on the graphs.
The SA6 has a bit more bass, but it is lighter the the A7's denser bass.
The A7 has better treble extension than the SA6, acoustic guitars and cymbals have more sizzle or "zing".
Overall, the SA6 sounds lighter or airier (in presentation, not tuning) and very lively, while the A7 sounds more focused, denser or tighter (the SA6 does not sound loose in any way).
They are my two most listened to IEMs of my (very small compared to head-fi standards) collection.
IMO, they are very comparable in sound quality and tuning (obviously), but with different presentations.
I have not heard more expensive IEMs (and obviously can't compare them to the U12t.

Looking at BGGAR's graphs, the Oracle looks like perfect tuning to me. It's like an SA6 or A7 but with better treble extension.

Aug 14, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,613 of 1,793
Hey, guys.
What do you think about chances to see the A8 this year?

Edit:
Seems like we have an upgrade over the A2, so maybe there's also a new model comming..

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,614 of 1,793
Hey, guys.
What do you think about chances to see the A8 this year?

Edit:
Seems like we have an upgrade over the A2, so maybe there's also a new model comming..
LZ seems to have a 1-year release time between their A series and the A7 came out around this time last year. So there should be a high chance of them releasing their next flagship pretty soon.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,616 of 1,793
LZ seems to have a 1-year release time between their A series and the A7 came out around this time last year. So there should be a high chance of them releasing their next flagship pretty soon.
LZ A8 is my most desired non-existent IEM right now.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,617 of 1,793
LZ A8 is my most desired non-existent IEM right now.
Haha, yeah. Interested to see what they are doing with it.

Guess the A2 Pro might be meant to buy them some more time.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,618 of 1,793
Guess the A2 Pro might be meant to buy them some more time.
That might be something big, otherwise why would you want to waste time on a sidegrade model in a first place.

But i guess 140$ is just closer to a sellable level, where you can actually earn money with a quantity..

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #1,619 of 1,793
That might be something big, otherwise why would you want to waste time on a sidegrade model in a first place.

But i guess 140$ is just closer to a sellable level, where you can actually earn money with a quantity..
True, but I don't think they aren't able to multi-task on 2 different iems. They did it in the past with the A6, A6 mini, Z05a and the Z04a.

Aug 16, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #1,620 of 1,793
I'm really curious to see what the A7 replacement will be.
The A7 is still my most balanced pair (monitor black) IMO (not that SA6, B2 Dusk, HA-FDX1 and Lokahi aren't).
I wish for a better build quality, better looking shells and slight sound quality improvements, no complete re-tuning please.
The switch on my left ear-piece is now loose, maybe I could fix it with a very small amount of glue :frowning2:
With a cool looking BGVP cable.

2021-08-16 14-56-42.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back