LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Dec 9, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #1,126 of 1,793
I fully agree that the timbral accuracy of the A7 does not match that of a really good single DD IEM, especially with higher pitched strings. That being said, I think it still has surprising timbral accuracy for a tribrid design, besting MANY hybrid and all-BA IEMs, all the while being a technical champ, almost untouched in its price bracket. Add to that its versatility, and that’s why I feel strongly about the A7, and it has taken over the top spot in my collection for now. I never expected to like it this much. Granted, I don’t listen to strings all the time, and have never played the violin, so my recognition of the proper natural sound of strings is not great.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,127 of 1,793
I fully agree that the timbral accuracy of the A7 does not match that of a really good single DD IEM, especially with higher pitched strings. That being said, I think it still has surprising timbral accuracy for a tribrid design, besting MANY hybrid and all-BA IEMs, all the while being a technical champ, almost untouched in its price bracket. Add to that its versatility, and that’s why I feel strongly about the A7, and it has taken over the top spot in my collection for now. I never expected to like it this much. Granted, I don’t listen to strings all the time, and have never played the violin, so my recognition of the proper natural sound of strings is not great.
I think that unless you have a really good single DD to compare with or have experience with the violin. You might not even notice that slight flaw about it.

Personally I have played the violin before as a kid ( for 4 years) and thats why I think it sounded off to me. I also have experience with the piano (8 years) but iems usually do piano sounds well and dont bother me.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,128 of 1,793
For me, I tend to listen for drums and piano, since they are what I know. Both are percussive instruments, and I adore the transient attack of the A7. Very sharp and crisp. It can handle the craziest death metal passages without breaking a sweat. I’m anxious to hear if the Fearless S8 can match, let alone beat the A7 for this genre.

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,129 of 1,793
It does seem that the musicians amongst us don't rave about violins on the A7. I suppose there always will be the A8 for fixing that.

Paul mentioned the Volt as his top pick, guess I need to look into that.

I am really grooving on being down to just two DAP units and two wired IEMs. I find the lack of choice and confusion about those choices to actually be liberating! For daytime use its generally the A7 with the HiBy R5. And for evening use its the Cayin N5II with FLC8D. The 8D are quite nice with classical music and for night use they are remarkably comfortable. The A7 isn't horrible when it comes to comfort but the 8D fit my ear extremely well when nestled on the pillow.

I know the audiophiles amongst us (I am kind of a wannabe in that department) would be aghast to hear this; but my most used IEM is actually the airpod pro. Its great for long bike rides and general out and about usage.

The A7 took some of the ideas first presented on the FLC8S and moved them one level further. I feel bad for Forrest (FLC); great technology and ear for sound but not very strong when it comes to marketing. I think he had a hard time coming up with a volume seller after the FLC8 line and time is measured in dog years in the IEM space.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #1,130 of 1,793
Hi, I received the A7 today. This is my first IEM. I mainly listen to classical music, at home I have the ATH Awkt which are the best headphones I have ever heard. But now I wanted some IEMs for outside listening, also rainy days. My first impression is that the A7 is very neutral and clean. Listening to Stegners Vivaldi flute concertos everything is detailed and fast. I am also amazed how good they can render organ music. Of course there are worlds between the Awkt and the A7 but for the price of 285$ they are very good. Since I never had IEMs before I can't compare them to other models.

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,131 of 1,793
For me, I tend to listen for drums and piano, since they are what I know. Both are percussive instruments, and I adore the transient attack of the A7. Very sharp and crisp. It can handle the craziest death metal passages without breaking a sweat. I’m anxious to hear if the Fearless S8 can match, let alone beat the A7 for this genre.

I am slowly getting into metal music with Opeth playing through the A7. Any other recommendation?

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,132 of 1,793
I am slowly getting into metal music with Opeth playing through the A7. Any other recommendation?
I’m certainly not an expert in this genre, as a lot of it is new to me, but I’m mostly into progressive metal like Haken, Dream Theater, John Petrucci, Tool. I’ve been listening to some death metal mostly for analyzing IEMs.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,133 of 1,793
A great choice of Metal / Prog would be King Crimson. They can be mellow but also very much Metal.

A great forum for music lovers (I hang out there more than any other website) are the Steve Hoffman forums. https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #1,134 of 1,793
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,135 of 1,793
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #1,136 of 1,793
I know you’re into photography as well, I usually throw some desiccant in when storing my camera gear as well.
Yes, that’s definitely a good idea to always do.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,139 of 1,793
How'd you get it for that price? Lowest I can get after tax is $284 ($267 pre tax).
That was the price in the first hour of the beginning of year end sale... With several Select Discounts options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back