LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #931 of 1,793
Thanks for your impressions. Some reviews say they may be too bright for somebody. Is that also the case with the red filters?

I don't need more treble than the H40 and I'm sensitive to harshness and fatiguing highs.
Stick to RED/POP, it's sound holographic with physical rumbles. The lows quantity is just right for me.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #933 of 1,793
1C245538-3D18-4A67-B731-44E8061B4C83.jpeg

If you want, I can mod the BGVP gold filter to my specs, channel match them and send to you at cost.

Upper mids are like somewhere between the black and gold filters and I love it.
Tgx78, I've got the bgvp DMG somewhere. If I can find the filters, would you give me some more instructions on your custom mod? Think my hearing/taste is similar to yours and IEMusic. Am generally a bit sensitive to upper mids (4-8k), which seem just a bit harsh on many iems to me, although I love good treble and detail. I'm going between black, red, gold filters too, and think your custom tuning might be my sweet spot as well... Thanks for the help!

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #934 of 1,793
I guess... my interest is specially sub-bass (specially impact), high mids and mids! But just an overall opinion would be fantastic too!
Something like "is there a giant leap from lz a7 to the melody?" and "is it worth getting an NM2+ as a companion to the a7?"
The MEST excels at having very precise, fast, full bass, and amazingly extended and detailed treble, that while prominent, is smooth due to the driver makeup. The soundstage and imaging are the best I‘ve ever heard in an IEM. It has a very holographic portrayal that neither the A7 nor the NM2+ can come close to matching. It just has a very impressive overall sound. The midrange, while very good and neutral, doesn’t have as much bite and fullness of either the A7 or the NM2+. If you’re very sensitive to treble, the MEST may be too much. The treble and upper midrange detail is outstanding though. The transient attack of all three of these IEMs is great, but is especially impressive on the MEST and A7. The bass attack, punch, and decay, such as with bass drums, sounds particularly good on the MEST and A7.

The A7 is so adjustable that it is difficult to describe precisely. The soundstage is very good, and imaging is accurate, with good instrument separation, but it isn’t nearly holographic, with depth (compared to the MEST). I think the soundstage and imaging of the NM2+ and the A7 are pretty similar, but definitely a step behind the MEST. I think the bass on the A7 gives up nothing to the MEST. While the MEST has a sub bass bias, I think the A7 is more of an even bass distribution. The A7 bass is also very fast and percussive, and there is a lot more bass overall than on the MEST, but I think it sounds slightly dry in comparison to the MEST, probably b/c of the sub bass bias of the MEST. It still definitely has DD sounding bass, not BA sounding. The treble on the A7 is not nearly as extended as on the MEST, and doesn’t provide as much detail, but it many ways, it is more natural sounding, since the degree of treble extension on the MEST makes it sound splashy. The one weakness of the piezo, as many others have mentioned, is with the violin, but it is a minor weakness, as the piezo implementation on the A7 is amazingly natural to me. The upper midrange of the A7, with many of the tunings, is just as detailed as on the MEST, but the A7 has noticeably more detail in the lower midrange. It actually has the most lower midrange detail that I’ve ever heard.

The NM2+ is different from the MEST and A7 in that it only has a single DD, and a superb one at that. The timbral accuracy and cohesiveness is definitely the best of the three. I think the midrange as a whole sounds the best on the NM2+ of these three, especially for vocals (particularly female), and individual or few acoustic instruments. The treble is well extended, and seems similar overall to the A7, maybe just slightly more extended. The NM2+ bass is the most mid bass biased of the three, though not in a bad way. It helps balance out the very prominent upper midrange, by providing a little bit or warmth. The sub bass is still well extended. As far as the sub bass extension is concerned, all three are excellent, It’s just the sub/mid bass balance that differs. The bass is not quite as fast and precise on the NM2+ vs the MEST and A7, but that is not a knock on the NM2+ at all, it is just a testament to how remarkably good the bass is on the MEST and A7. The bass on the NM2+ is still very clean, and not at all bloated and muddy. Soundstage and imaging on the NM2+ are by far the best I’ve ever heard out of a single DD IEM.

I have 2 main caveats for the NM2+. First, while it sounds very natural with symphonic classical music and death metal genres, when things get very complex, especially at louder volumes, the soundstage, instrument separation, and dynamics become compressed, which doesn‘t happen at all with the A7 and MEST. This is not really a weakness of the NM2+, but frequently a limitation of being a single DD IEM. While I haven’t yet heard a single DD IEM that can handle those very complex tracks w/o compression, I’m sure some of the best and most expensive single DD IEMs may be able to handle them. Second, the NM2+ has very pronounced upper midrange frequencies, which provides amazing clarity, but it may be too much for many to handle. However, so far, with tip and cable rolling, and giving it time to get used to the tuning, it seems most people that were overwhelmed initially, ended up tolerating and loving the sound. Those that wrote it off after listening to it briefly, w/o tip rolling, made a big mistake IMO. My advice is to always start with the provided bass tips or other narrow bore ear tips, then experiment from there.

All three of these IEMs are superb, and between the versatile A7 and the natural NM2+, one could easily be covered for all of their music. Is the MEST worth it? That depends. Based on what it accomplishes, it could easily be considered a bargain for it’s price, but it is different from the A7 and the NM2+, and I could easily see someone preferring any of those 2 to the MEST. It‘s a matter of taste, and diminishing returns. The A7 and NM2+ just provide a ridiculous performance for their respective prices.

This is merely one person’s opinion, but I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #935 of 1,793
Tgx78, I've got the bgvp DMG somewhere. If I can find the filters, would you give me some more instructions on your custom mod? Think my hearing/taste is similar to yours and IEMusic. Am generally a bit sensitive to upper mids (4-8k), which seem just a bit harsh on many iems to me, although I love good treble and detail. I'm going between black, red, gold filters too, and think your custom tuning might be my sweet spot as well... Thanks for the help!

Sure. My modded dmg filter is heading out to @originalsnuffy but I will measure and document the process so others can replicate. I ordered few more filters too for people who doesn’t have the measurement gears. Basically my conclusion is that modded dmg gold filter gives you about 1 or 2 dBs less pinna gain than the black a7 filter and overall 2-3dBs less lower treble which is very subtle but noticeable in longer listening sessions.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #936 of 1,793
Sure. My modded dmg filter is heading out to @originalsnuffy but I will measure and document the process so others can replicate. I ordered few more filters too for people who doesn’t have the measurement gears. Basically my conclusion is that modded dmg gold filter gives you about 1 or 2 dBs less pinna gain than the black a7 filter and overall 2-3dBs less lower treble which is very subtle but noticeable in longer listening sessions.
Cool, I've got the DMG and am eager to give this a shot too. Do you mind sharing what type/size of alcohol pads you use?

Nov 21, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #939 of 1,793
Finally USPS got the LZ A7 to me. No burn-in, no cable/tip-rolling, no filter swaps or switch switching, out of box I can say with certainty that these are by far the best headphones I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Hats off to everyone who recced and reviewed these. Endgame for me without doubt.

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #940 of 1,793
The MEST excels at having very precise, fast, full bass, and amazingly extended and detailed treble, that while prominent, is smooth due to the driver makeup. The soundstage and imaging are the best I‘ve ever heard in an IEM. It has a very holographic portrayal that neither the A7 nor the NM2+ can come close to matching. It just has a very impressive overall sound. The midrange, while very good and neutral, doesn’t have as much bite and fullness of either the A7 or the NM2+. If you’re very sensitive to treble, the MEST may be too much. The treble and upper midrange detail is outstanding though. The transient attack of all three of these IEMs is great, but is especially impressive on the MEST and A7. The bass attack, punch, and decay, such as with bass drums, sounds particularly good on the MEST and A7.

The A7 is so adjustable that it is difficult to describe precisely. The soundstage is very good, and imaging is accurate, with good instrument separation, but it isn’t nearly holographic, with depth (compared to the MEST). I think the soundstage and imaging of the NM2+ and the A7 are pretty similar, but definitely a step behind the MEST. I think the bass on the A7 gives up nothing to the MEST. While the MEST has a sub bass bias, I think the A7 is more of an even bass distribution. The A7 bass is also very fast and percussive, and there is a lot more bass overall than on the MEST, but I think it sounds slightly dry in comparison to the MEST, probably b/c of the sub bass bias of the MEST. It still definitely has DD sounding bass, not BA sounding. The treble on the A7 is not nearly as extended as on the MEST, and doesn’t provide as much detail, but it many ways, it is more natural sounding, since the degree of treble extension on the MEST makes it sound splashy. The one weakness of the piezo, as many others have mentioned, is with the violin, but it is a minor weakness, as the piezo implementation on the A7 is amazingly natural to me. The upper midrange of the A7, with many of the tunings, is just as detailed as on the MEST, but the A7 has noticeably more detail in the lower midrange. It actually has the most lower midrange detail that I’ve ever heard.

The NM2+ is different from the MEST and A7 in that it only has a single DD, and a superb one at that. The timbral accuracy and cohesiveness is definitely the best of the three. I think the midrange as a whole sounds the best on the NM2+ of these three, especially for vocals (particularly female), and individual or few acoustic instruments. The treble is well extended, and seems similar overall to the A7, maybe just slightly more extended. The NM2+ bass is the most mid bass biased of the three, though not in a bad way. It helps balance out the very prominent upper midrange, by providing a little bit or warmth. The sub bass is still well extended. As far as the sub bass extension is concerned, all three are excellent, It’s just the sub/mid bass balance that differs. The bass is not quite as fast and precise on the NM2+ vs the MEST and A7, but that is not a knock on the NM2+ at all, it is just a testament to how remarkably good the bass is on the MEST and A7. The bass on the NM2+ is still very clean, and not at all bloated and muddy. Soundstage and imaging on the NM2+ are by far the best I’ve ever heard out of a single DD IEM.

I have 2 main caveats for the NM2+. First, while it sounds very natural with symphonic classical music and death metal genres, when things get very complex, especially at louder volumes, the soundstage, instrument separation, and dynamics become compressed, which doesn‘t happen at all with the A7 and MEST. This is not really a weakness of the NM2+, but frequently a limitation of being a single DD IEM. While I haven’t yet heard a single DD IEM that can handle those very complex tracks w/o compression, I’m sure some of the best and most expensive single DD IEMs may be able to handle them. Second, the NM2+ has very pronounced upper midrange frequencies, which provides amazing clarity, but it may be too much for many to handle. However, so far, with tip and cable rolling, and giving it time to get used to the tuning, it seems most people that were overwhelmed initially, ended up tolerating and loving the sound. Those that wrote it off after listening to it briefly, w/o tip rolling, made a big mistake IMO. My advice is to always start with the provided bass tips or other narrow bore ear tips, then experiment from there.

All three of these IEMs are superb, and between the versatile A7 and the natural NM2+, one could easily be covered for all of their music. Is the MEST worth it? That depends. Based on what it accomplishes, it could easily be considered a bargain for it’s price, but it is different from the A7 and the NM2+, and I could easily see someone preferring any of those 2 to the MEST. It‘s a matter of taste, and diminishing returns. The A7 and NM2+ just provide a ridiculous performance for their respective prices.

Is UM MEST large? Same size as TRI i3 I guess.

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #941 of 1,793
Is UM MEST large? Same size as TRI i3 I guess.
I don’t have the Tri i3, but I don’t think the MEST is particularly large. I guess it’s width is somewhat notable, without a significant narrowing for the intertragic notch.

EBFB4157-4996-4DC2-B2DB-D4096FFD0E97.jpeg

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #942 of 1,793

That was a fantastic analysis!
I pretty much had everyinformation I could ever hope for!
Thanks a lot !

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #943 of 1,793

The MEST is a hell of an iem. Truly amazing and I do agree, it's well worth its price. But the A7 is honestly insane value for money. I am not kidding when I say it could cost 3x to 4× the price just for the sound alone. I also agree that the A7 does do some things slightly better than the MEST, the lower mid range, more relaxed yet crystal clear and highly detailed treble, the smooth yet clear mids that have insane detail, maybe one of the most detailed mids I have ever heard, and overall tonality screams TOTL. Amazing iem the A7 is and for some, it could be end game. I love how some people on here are looking even deeper into filter combos for the A7. All my love to you guys as I know you are taking alot of time in doing so and helping out others alot. The A7 is an insane iem, in every way possible. The tuning for every individuals liking. The overall sound is amazing, and the price. It's beyond extremely hard to beat 🔥😁

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #944 of 1,793
The MEST is a hell of an iem. Truly amazing and I do agree, it's well worth its price. But the A7 is honestly insane value for money. I am not kidding when I say it could cost 3x the price just for the sound alone. I also agree that the A7 does do some things slightly better than the MEST, the lower mid range, more relaxed yet crystal clear and highly detailed treble, the smooth yet clear mids that have insane detail, maybe one of the most detailed mids I have ever heard, and overall tonality screams TOTL. Amazing iem the A7 is and for some, it could be end game. I love how some people on here are looking even deeper into filter combos for the A7. All my love to you guys as I know you are taking alot of time in doing so and helping out others alot. The A7 is an insane iem, in every way possible. The tuning for every individuals liking. The overall sound is amazing, and the price. It's beyond extremely hard to beat 🔥😁

Agreed.

I do recall auditioning the TOTL QDC Anole VX a few months back. It is a 10 BA set with 3 tuning switches to give 8 potential sound signatures. It costs way more, about $1.8 K - $2K+ USD depending on custom versus universal edition. I'll probably go back one of these days to the shop to do A/B testing with the LZ A7, but I do recall the QDC Anole VX had better technicalities, though it had a less natural timbre. Yeah the timbre in the LZ A7 is one of the more natural ones in a multi driver setup, containing BA and even piezo drivers to boot (save for the higher frequency violin timbre which is a small nitpick).

The QDC Anole VX is my current gold standard for technical performance in an IEM, but I would say the QDC Anole VX is not 6 times better than the LZ A7 as the price would suggest, probably not even 2 times better. Of course diminishing returns exist in this hobby as you go up the ladder, but I would be very happy with 80% performance in the LZ A7 for 20% the price of the Anole VX. YMMV though, I know some would go to all out to chase the remaining 10 - 20% sound, so different strokes for different folks.

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #945 of 1,793
Agreed.

I do recall auditioning the TOTL QDC Anole VX a few months back. It is a 10 BA set with 3 tuning switches to give 8 potential sound signatures. It costs way more, about $1.8 K - $2K+ USD depending on custom versus universal edition. I'll probably go back one of these days to the shop to do A/B testing with the LZ A7, but I do recall the QDC Anole VX had better technicalities, though it had a less natural timbre. Yeah the timbre in the LZ A7 is one of the more natural ones in a multi driver setup, containing BA and even piezo drivers to boot (save for the higher frequency violin timbre which is a small nitpick).

The QDC Anole VX is my current gold standard for technical performance in an IEM, but I would say the QDC Anole VX is not 6 times better than the LZ A7 as the price would suggest, probably not even 2 times better. Of course diminishing returns exist in this hobby as you go up the ladder, but I would be very happy with 80% performance in the LZ A7 for 20% the price of the Anole VX. YMMV though, I know some would go to all out to chase the remaining 10 - 20% sound, so different strokes for different folks.
The QDC Anole VX is another iem that is well worth its price but honestly. Once you start thinking like this. If I buy the QDC Anole VX but next year something better comes out. Thats another large amount of money going to get just a bit more better.... The A7 can give 80% to 90% for much much less... So if you really wanted that extra 20% to 10% more... Why not get the A7, enjoy what you hear and wait for the new LZ flagship A8, A9 or A10 and maybe you'll get that extra 20% to 10% for much much much less :wink:. I don't see myself spending over $900 after what the A7 can do. Most likely the new flagship from LZ will be in the $500 to $600 range and I am beyond sure it will get extremely close to the big dogs 😁, just a little patience. I already love the A7 too much, if I really wanted that bit more, I'd wait. LZ has proven what they are capable of. And if they do read this. For your next flagship. Keep the price under $600 and give us that 20% extra. You'll have a true end game iem

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back