LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Oct 4, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #421 of 1,793
Must be the weekend for A7 reviews. Here is mines.
DSC07689.JPG
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lz-a7.24656/reviews#item-review-24459

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #422 of 1,793
Hey there,

So it seems like you would consider LZ A7 to be in roughly the same tier/level as the FLC8D? The FLC8D is quite an excellent IEM for the price - too bad it didn't seem to get much recognition when it was released. Like you, I also love the way it fits - the only thing which may have made it even better is if the nozzle was slightly angled instead of completely perpendicular. It is super comfortable to wear for longer term listening.

Do you have any thoughts on how the bass and timbre of the two compare? I personally prefer a single dynamic IEM for timbre, but did not find any that sound as resolving/technical/while being easy to listen to long term (not too hot in treble) as the FLC8D, and was also comfortable to wear for long periods. So currently I use them as my main IEMs.
Two reviews just went up. One of the two went into the FLC8S as a comparison. Having owned the FLC8S, FLC8D and now the LZ A7 I could agree with most of the comparisons. The setting I am using currently on the A7 sounds a lot like my preferred setting on the FLC8D. Funny, both are gunmetal. The A7 is kind of sneaky; there is a good case to make for three of the filters. On the 8D only gold and gunmetal were ever in the running.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #423 of 1,793
Am definitely interested in A7.

There were several iems in the $2-500 range i was looking at that were of interest in the last few months, but many worried me for size and fit. So far, everyone is finding the fit great, even for smaller ears? Comfort level is a very good consensus?

Just to be sure, the a7 is definitely mmcx (still, in production run)?

Loving the discussions on 🎻 reproduction of specific instruments. What about solo piano or organ, where there is the most dynamic range possible? Particularly how the 4-way X/O responds throughout changes in the FR range? Most solo piano is hard to record well, but want to know how a7 represents the recording, if there is distortion between the crossover points between the drivers.

These are some great reviews and discussions so far, thanks to all for their time and input, its greatly appreciated!

Those are the actual vents (ports) on the faceplate?
With the good fit, the lz has decent isolation? how about sound leakage? Am partial to not forcing everyone around me to hear my music with IEMs.

But yeah, (sorry LZ) I would paint over that font/logo as soon as i knew i was keeping them. 😁

Oct 5, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #424 of 1,793
Am definitely interested in A7.

There were several iems in the $2-500 range i was looking at that were of interest in the last few months, but many worried me for size and fit. So far, everyone is finding the fit great, even for smaller ears? Comfort level is a very good consensus?

Just to be sure, the a7 is definitely mmcx (still, in production run)?
I do not know if there is agreement on fit. I can share that it fits better for me than the ThieAudio Legacy L3 and BLON 03 which are larger. Similar fit to the iBasso 00. Not as good a fit as FLC8S (which is smaller). I think of them as being average in comfort.

In my case I use an aftermarket balanced cable. I need to have these cables go behind my ears to keep the units consistently inserted for bass response. It also took me a while to find a tip that met my needs (Azla in my case).

My pair is MMCX. I have never seen anybody post that the connectors will change. Personally I think MMCX is fine but your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #425 of 1,793
I do not know if there is agreement on fit. I can share that it fits better for me than the ThieAudio Legacy L3 and BLON 03 which are larger. Similar fit to the iBasso 00. Not as good a fit as FLC8S (which is smaller). I think of them as being average in comfort.

In my case I use an aftermarket balanced cable. I need to have these cables go behind my ears to keep the units consistently inserted for bass response. It also took me a while to find a tip that met my needs (Azla in my case).

My pair is MMCX. I have never seen anybody post that the connectors will change. Personally I think MMCX is fine but your mileage may vary.
Thanks! That does help a lot, as your iem references im very familiar with. L3 fits very snug (anything bigger probably wouldn't work for me), bl03 fits but doesnt stay in place with the nozzles, it00 is about perfect.
I didnt see anyone else mention anything other than MMCX, but know a few recent iems have changed into production. I have 4.4 balanced cables for both 2pin and mmcx, so should be good (though like the cable i have for 2pin better)...
Any comparison to L3, definitely an upgrade soundwise?
Thanks again! this confirms A7 is very likely a contender with fit for me at least!

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #426 of 1,793
Thanks! That does help a lot, as your iem references im very familiar with. L3 fits very snug (anything bigger probably wouldn't work for me), bl03 fits but doesnt stay in place with the nozzles, it00 is about perfect.
I didnt see anyone else mention anything other than MMCX, but know a few recent iems have changed into production. I have 4.4 balanced cables for both 2pin and mmcx, so should be good (though like the cable i have for 2pin better)...
Thanks again! this confirms A7 is very likely a contender with fit for me at least!

AFAIK it won't be available with 2 pin connector, the units that people are reviewing now are from the first production run with MMCX.

I do also have small ears and find the fit to be really good. I normally prefer universal custom style resin housings for best fit and isolation. I'd say both fit and isolation are surprisingly good the design considered but not absolute top standard on either.

I hope this helps.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #427 of 1,793
After spending a bit of time with the A7, I pulled out the L3 and expected to have the L3 absolutely blown away by the A7. Well, as luck might have it, that was not the case. The L3 did a lot better than expected. Yes, the A7 is an upgrade but boy howdy the L3 gives a nice sound and a nice image. Just last night I ended up selling the L3 as I don't need two IEMs with such a similar sound profile. But a properly working L3 is quite the nice unit.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #429 of 1,793
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #430 of 1,793
IMG_20201005_181137.jpg

Ok, UM MEST is here and I can tell you right away that the A7 is not far away in terms of technicalities and confirms that it’s a crazy good value. A7's red filter + monitor setting sounds somewhat similar to the MEST too. More to come...

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #431 of 1,793
Oct 5, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #434 of 1,793
Great review. You and I had a similar experience. I was expecting these to blow away the Legacy L3. Yet the Legacy L3 stayed in the ring for the full round. Who would have thought? Sure they lost the match but it was a nice fight to the finish.
I know! After mostly listening to the Mangird Tea and UM MEST lately, I was curious how the L3 would sound to me now. Turns out, even more impressive than I remember. It just sounds so enjoyable and versatile, with no major weak points to me. No, it doesn’t match or beat those higher-end IEMs, but it really holds it’s own, and in comparison, seems all the more special.

Oct 5, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #435 of 1,793
I know! After mostly listening to the Mangird Tea and UM MEST lately, I was curious how the L3 would sound to me now. Turns out, even more impressive than I remember. It just sounds so enjoyable and versatile, with no major weak points to me. No, it doesn’t match or beat those higher-end IEMs, but it really holds it’s own, and in comparison, seems all the more special.
You certainly have a fine taste for IEMs. I almost never see you citing duds. Very commendable. Do you write many reviews? Would love to hear more about your audio thoughts.

With regard to the L7, these are starting to break in. I have been having big fun testing out filters. Right now I am in monitor mode with gold. I had been in both monitor and pop modes with the black filters. That sounded a lot to me like the FLC8 series with the gunmetal filter. Which brings me to my main point is that this is the most fun I have had with a new pair of IEMs in about three years when I picked up the aforesaid FLC8S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back